The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 12-20-2014, 08:35 AM

Default Angel From Montgomery Cover

I was playing around with some mic placements and recording techniques and recorded this song this morning. I also posted it in the Recording section asking for some suggestions, tips, critiques so please let me know what would make this better. Singing? Playing? Recording? anything..

I have thick skin and want to improve so give me whatever you got. Thanks!

Old 12-20-2014, 09:01 AM

I went to have a cup of coffee and came back to listen to this again and two things struck me. The first was that I played too fast. That's a common beginner mistake and (relatively ) easy to fix. The other problem is that I think it's too sterile. This is a really sad song but I didn't convey much emotion. This is something I struggle with and will have to work hard to improve.

Hmmm...
Old 12-20-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
Singing? Playing? Recording? anything..

I have thick skin and want to improve so give me whatever you got. Thanks!
Since you asked for it...

On the good side, your rhythm is solid -- both the playing and the singing. I don't mind that you played it a bit faster than usual.

On the flip side, something sounds off every time you play the root chord. When you play that D shape (actually an E chord since there's a capo on the 2nd fret), make sure you mute the 5th and 6th strings properly. In that particular shape, you can play the 5th string occasionally to add some colour -- but if you consistently make it the main bass note, it's going to sound off. The sixth string should be muted out completely.

As for the singing, it's in the right key and your rhythm is fine -- but lots of notes are way flat, including every time you go up in pitch, most significant intervals and most of your phrase endings.

Quote:
The first was that I played too fast. That's a common beginner mistake and (relatively ) easy to fix. The other problem is that I think it's too sterile. This is a really sad song but I didn't convey much emotion. This is something I struggle with and will have to work hard to improve.

Hmmm...
Honestly, I see a possible future for the rhythm guitar part but unfortunately you and I are about in the same league when it comes to the singing -- great in the shower, awesome for drunken parties and tolerable for campfire.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
Honestly, I see a possible future for the rhythm guitar part but unfortunately you and I are about in the same league when it comes to the singing -- great in the shower, awesome for drunken parties and tolerable for campfire.
but... but... I've already quit my day job!

Since I wanted to learn guitar for just those high class occasions you listed above, i'm comfortable with that assessment.

Quote:
On the flip side, something sounds off every time you play the root chord. When you play that D shape (actually an E chord since there's a capo on the 2nd fret), make sure you mute the 5th and 6th strings properly. In that particular shape, you can play the 5th string occasionally to add some colour -- but if you consistently make it the main bass note, it's going to sound off. The sixth string should be muted out completely.
Ah, I didn't even catch that. I've been told that before in a previous recording (maybe even by you) but it seems to be something I'm still missing.

Quote:
As for the singing, it's in the right key and your rhythm is fine -- but lots of notes are way flat, including every time you go up in pitch, most significant intervals and most of your phrase endings.
Another great point. Though I didn't pick up on it immediately, I played it again and sang along. When the flat notes came along, it was pretty obvious.

Thank you for your suggestions, I really appreciate it.

One thing that I really value from this forum is the feedback and the different viewpoints. The things that I concentrate on are not the same ones someone else would. By posting and sharing, I learn a TON from this group.

Thanks again!
Old 12-20-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
but... but... I've already quit my day job!
OK in that case get Auto-Tune and add a bit of reverb...

Quote:
Ah, I didn't even catch that. I've been told that before in a previous recording (maybe even by you) but it seems to be something I'm still missing.
On a serious note, you're just a couple of tweaks away from being a solid rhythm player -- and that's a really good skill in itself.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:48 PM
Charter Member

Hi Red,

I think you've got really great feedback from JoeCharter.

It's really great that you're recording yourself, now you need to develop your ears (like me).

I'm not as pessimistic about your vocal future - I think your flat pitches are either simple laziness or carelessness. I know that I often get into trouble with pitch, when I record/play without taking the time to carefully listen to the original and then take time to practice the intervals. Usually it's a song that I 'think' I remember and get cocky.

I think your voice is pleasant to listen to - you just need to decide if you're willing to spend the time and effort to become good.

Merry Chreistmas,

steve
Old 12-26-2014, 05:59 AM

Hmmm....I thought it was pretty decent. Definitely too fast tho. Vocals were okay, for someone just starting down that road. Not much feeling to the performance....you're playing the chords and singing the notes, but it needs more to be interesting. Very staccato singing.
My advice...slow it down, hold the notes a bit, and bend into a few notes per line. Don't just sing the note....bend INTO the note, and sing from the gut, not the throat.

Everett-Celona
Taylor DDX
Heyser- Englemann/Maple
G&L ASAT
Old 12-26-2014, 06:37 AM

Thank you so much for the feedback folks. I've recorded this song a few more times but I'm still not happy with the results. I'm still struggling with adding "feeling" to the song and it still sounds too sterile to my ears.

I'm working on it though!
Old 12-26-2014, 07:34 AM

Red,
In the spirit of constructive criticism, I'll offer two pieces of advice. First, it sounds like you are playing this song in the key of E (it was written in the key of G) and in G, the chords are much richer sounding (IMO.) secondly, it seems as if you are trying to sing along to the rhythm guitar part when you should be playing the guitar (only) to support your vocal. The vocal is (or should be) the main part of the song, not the guitar.

Willie

https://soundcloud.com/willie-johnson-jr
Old 12-26-2014, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by williejohnson View Post
Red,
In the spirit of constructive criticism, I'll offer two pieces of advice. First, it sounds like you are playing this song in the key of E (it was written in the key of G) and in G, the chords are much richer sounding (IMO.)
Good tip. I had not thought of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by williejohnson View Post
secondly, it seems as if you are trying to sing along to the rhythm guitar part when you should be playing the guitar (only) to support your vocal. The vocal is (or should be) the main part of the song, not the guitar.

Willie
I completely agree and this is something I've been working on. Believe it or not, I'm better at this than I used to be but not yet where I want to be.

As a side note, I started playing guitar just over a year ago and for a while, I was satisfied with positive comments that ended with "for a beginner". Now I want to move to the next level that doesn't include that qualifier. So I really appreciate these honest comments, this is how I improve.

Thanks again!

Last edited by RedJoker; 12-26-2014 at 08:27 AM.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:07 PM

A tip for my 2 cents worth - try this. When learning a new song, or trying to improve the vocal intonation on one you know, learn the single note melody on the guitar (or piano) and sing along while playing the melody only. It really helps to focus in on singing the notes cause you know exactly (i.e. precisely) where you are going. I like your style and with time and practice you'll only improve.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell