The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-06-2017, 01:50 PM

Default which endoscope?

I've seen cheap ones for about $12 but is the resolution adequate? any recommendations? thanks
Old 01-06-2017, 05:28 PM

Interesting this should come up. I needed one last week to read the label inside this balalaika. The sound hole is no bigger than my thumb. I ended up lighting the interior from an endpin hole, getting a camera prefocused at 5", and sticking the lens right up to the sound hole.

Old 01-06-2017, 06:16 PM

you can barely see the sound hole 1/3 the way fro end of fret board. One tiny sound hole there.

Think I located a good one not to much out of pocket.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

arrives monday
Old 01-07-2017, 11:53 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I'd say buy the one that hurts the least.

bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-07-2017, 11:59 AM

The cheap ones are no good. You might as well stick it up your...oh...wait...never mind.
Old 01-07-2017, 03:13 PM

Default Sigmoidscope...endoscope

I actually mentioned to my doctor that his older model scope would be perfect for guitar inspection... He said it was going in the closet as he had just gotten in the newer smaller diameter, longer version.... I ended up giving his wife a few guitar lessons for it... Dual headlight, very powerful, VERY FLEXIBLE, an Olympus that I know ran about $10,000 new... worth asking around...just sayin...
Old 01-07-2017, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar Guitar View Post
I actually mentioned to my doctor that his older model scope would be perfect for guitar inspection... He said it was going in the closet as he had just gotten in the newer smaller diameter, longer version.... I ended up giving his wife a few guitar lessons for it... Dual headlight, very powerful, VERY FLEXIBLE, an Olympus that I know ran about $10,000 new... worth asking around...just sayin...

Do they get washed through the autoclave? Or perhaps an original 1687 Denis Papin steam digester?

I've got a dozen slightly used dental "curettes" for poking and scraping, plus a nice cuspidor I made into a sink. I'll have to ask the gas doc about his camera ...

Old 01-07-2017, 05:22 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Way back thirty-five years ago a friend put himself through seminary by working as the warehouse manager for a surgical supply house. He said most of the tools were known by one or another doctor's names and every few years tools went out of style and were made obsolescent by a new tool with some new feature and a new doctor's name. In the crossover period the company inevitably ended up with too many of the old design and a few ended up laying in a bin for a a few years. My friend got permission from the company and arranged that after so much time without an order he would throw them into a salvage bin. When the contents of the salvage bin grew enough he'd collect a load and ship them off to a missionary hospital in a country where they didn't give a flip about the latest fancy features or name and were only concerned with utility. So it was good for everyone! Free tools to the missions, a write-off to the company!

On a visit back then my friend was able to pass me a few retractors and surgical clamps that I've used ever since while I'm working on electronics and soldering. Back then you couldn't get them from Radio Snack and either had to pay a premium or know a doc.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-07-2017, 07:08 PM

Dang ! Bob and HHP got here before me with the smart arse remarks.

See what I did there ?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair