The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-15-2016, 04:24 AM

Default Emerald X20 pickup question

For those of you fortunate to have an X20, what are your thoughts about the pickups offered? I am seriously considering the Opus set up to accept a K&K pure mini. But maybe that is not the best choice? I realy like this pickup on my Martin. Or maybe I should just go with the current offerings already installed?
Old 11-15-2016, 07:20 AM
Charter Member

Default Pickup question

I have my X20 Artisan on its way to me this week from Ireland. The Artisan comes standard with the Baggs Element in it. I opted to upgrade to the Anthem, which I've never had in a guitar before. I thought it would be great to have a choice in an under saddle and a mic and being able to blend between the two. I'm trusting I made a good choice. My new guitar should arrive by the weekend, so I'll know soon!!

Good luck on your guitar and pickup selection.

Jim
Old 11-15-2016, 08:10 AM

I have the K&K in my X20 (I might have been the first) and I'm very happy with it. I run it into a Red-Eye, which as has been said a million times on AGF, is a great combo (as long as you don't mind getting your volume and tone set at the board or your amp, or adding more pedals to deal with it.)
Old 11-15-2016, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pauhana View Post
I have the K&K in my X20 (I might have been the first) and I'm very happy with it. I run it into a Red-Eye, which as has been said a million times on AGF, is a great combo (as long as you don't mind getting your volume and tone set at the board or your amp, or adding more pedals to deal with it.)
Great info , thanks. I too use a red eye to my mixing board. Did you install the K&K after you got the guitar ?
Old 11-15-2016, 09:25 AM

Default X20 pickup

I think K&K Pure Mini makes one of the best pickups for a lot of different guitars. I've made 95 wood guitars and I've tried many of the popular pickup combinations and I think they give the most consistent sound without a lot hassle with batteries and set up. I asked Alistair to put one in my X 20 last year and the Pure Mini works really good on the X20, he even put a volume control in the sound hole. I do run it through a RedEye like I do with all my guitars for a simple, clean set up.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:44 AM
Guest 928

Like Bob, I've found the K&K to be a solid all-around pickup. Alistair installed the K&K on my X20-OSN and on my X10-OSN--it's a marvelous pickup.

There are two things that I like to control at the guitar, volume and tuning. I use the EDM Speed Cable with the volume plug because it is unobtrusive and I can adjust volume on the fly. I have mounted a mini-tuner in the off-set sound hole. Those two things give me what I want without a barn door or a bunch of fuss.
Old 11-15-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmsstrider01 View Post
Great info , thanks. I too use a red eye to my mixing board. Did you install the K&K after you got the guitar ?
Emerald installed the K&K. I believe they do some special prep for soundboard transducers, so if you were to get one with no pickup but think you might want to add an SBT later, check with them about this. There may be an upcharge for the extra work. Just ask Sean; Emerald 's customer support is second to none.
Old 11-15-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Like Bob, I've found the K&K to be a solid all-around pickup. Alistair installed the K&K on my X20-OSN and on my X10-OSN--it's a marvelous pickup.

There are two things that I like to control at the guitar, volume and tuning. I use the EDM Speed Cable with the volume plug because it is unobtrusive and I can adjust volume on the fly. I have mounted a mini-tuner in the off-set sound hole. Those two things give me what I want without a barn door or a bunch of fuss.
I tried searching for EDM speed cable with volume plug and can't find. I have not heard of this before. Where can I find more info?
Old 11-15-2016, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I tried searching for EDM speed cable with volume plug and can't find. I have not heard of this before. Where can I find more info?
You could also try to seek out a Taylor Volume cable. Don't know if these are still made but I'm sure you could find one on eBay. It's just a good quality 1/4 cable and was available in a few different lengths. The end that plugs into the guitar or instrument has a knurled volume knob.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 11-15-2016, 11:17 AM
Guest 928

Rm:

Try Godlyke. Some one had recommended this cord to me and I had a heck of a time getting one and I forget where I finally made the purchase. It looks like EDM makes the cord and Godlyke makes the connections. There are apparently two styles; one with a turn knob and one with a slider--I have the slider. Godlyke has a site and a list of dealers, I would start with the dealers.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:22 AM

I had the K&K mini installed on my X7 in 2011 by Emerald, but at that time there was no discussions on the forums regarding them doing special prep of the installation area.

I'm wondering if Emerald did prep back at that time, or, if they began doing the prep procedure sometime later? Not many had installed K&K at that time, I believe. Now I'm curious.

Any others have K&K installed around then?
Old 11-15-2016, 12:32 PM

I looked at the Taylor volume cable and the Schatter Black box. Both look to do the same thing. Plug into the guitar jack and provide volume control. I also looked K&K volume control for the pure mini. However, I am not sure that any of these actually boost the volume on a passive system, rather allows you to turn the pickup signal down.
Old 11-15-2016, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I looked at the Taylor volume cable and the Schatter Black box. Both look to do the same thing. Plug into the guitar jack and provide volume control. I also looked K&K volume control for the pure mini. However, I am not sure that any of these actually boost the volume on a passive system, rather allows you to turn the pickup signal down.
You are correct as none of these would boost your signal. You would need an outboard preamp or perhaps an EQ pedal for boosting the signal.
Iris Smeck Slope Shoulder Dread
Iris AB Model
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 11-15-2016, 01:24 PM
Guest 928

I looked at the Taylor volume cord and rejected it, I don't remember why. It might have been that the Taylor did not work with a passive system?? I remember that there was a good reason that I discovered in reading the promo for the system.

The Godlyke has worked well for me. I am fond of nylon string instruments because I like the tonal qualities, but I also like the fact that if there is something going on that I do not understand I can back way off until I figure things out. The Godlyke cord facilitates the same thinking; when playing with others who are wired up I can drop the volume to nothing and when I figure something out I can slide up the volume to the point where I can do electric leads or rhythm.
Old 11-15-2016, 04:00 PM
Guest 928

Rm;

I can't find the cord for sale anywhere so I've sent an email to Godlyke to see if the cord is still available; I'll let you know what I hear.....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber