The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-09-2016, 11:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Yup, but folks need not be fooled by a laminate-top upright bass. All of the bluegrassers around here want a upright Kay laminate bass for not only the sound, but the durability.

Man, I forgot all about those little Kala basses! I'd love to have one of those just for kicks. I watched a few videos and I was totally impressed.
I have the fretless Kala Ubass (mahogany) and they are a blast. Sound great and a lot of fun. Highly recommended!
Old 11-10-2016, 07:02 AM

I would counsel against using a conventional amp for Bass, apart from the very real risk of blowing the speaker cones you could also blow the amp itself up. I speak from very recent experience. For some reasons that I have yet to determine, I have managed to fry the power amp before even getting near to blowing speaker cones. Until then I had always considered that blowing the speakers would be the only risk given that amplifiers are meant amplify, albeit with various circuits to either enhance or diminish certain frequencies.
Old 11-10-2016, 04:27 PM

Even if you don't blow the speaker, bass through a guitar amp seldom sounds very good.

I'm a fan of the Godin or Rob Allen styled semi-acoustic fretless. The U-Bass wasn't around yet when I bought my Rob Allen basses. The Guild Ashbory bass was somewhat frustrating to play and hard to keep strung with the strings that were available at that time.

A friend of mine hurt his right hand with an acoustic bass. The additional body thickness added a lot more bend in his wrist, causing some bad tendinitis. I'm extremely comfortable with acoustic guitars. Acoustic basses don't feel comfortable when playing a really long time.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments