The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

View Poll Results: The "AGF Special" should be a
Cargo 28 23.53%
OX 40 33.61%
GX 19 15.97%
GXi 7 5.88%
X 0 0%
Xi 2 1.68%
Legacy 10 8.40%
Baritone 7 5.88%
12-String 6 5.04%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2010, 03:29 PM

Phil, thank for the kind words.

Hen, once we lock in the model I will find out what options will be available to us. All suggestions will be discussed with CA but I would like to keep the final price reasonable so more people can afford one.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnuuhiwa View Post
Hi Ted,

Can CA do a high gloss finish on the front and headstock, with the raw finish on the back/sides? Other than that, I like captaindonn's suggestions, and Fran's idea of a bevel would really be interesting and unique. Maybe we can pioneer that option for them?

Aloha,

Hen

I'm not sure how practical something like a bevel is. These guitars aren't constructed from "boards" of carbon fiber, but instead a fabric laid into a mold and then baked (not "poured" into a mold like plastic, more like fiberglass). You need different molds to make different models, and molds are very expensive and complicated to make. That's also why each model isn't available with and without a cutaway.

I own one of the Carbon Guitar Forum custom OX (I made one of the winning rosette designs). It might be one of the cheapest guitars in the line, but it's also one of the best combinations--smaller OM body, matte finish (easier to keep looking nice, less friction on the neck), and great balanced and full tone, closer to the Martin side.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

How about an OX w/ tobacco burst front http://www.caguitars.com/PhotoGaller...p8=2469&p3=300 raw back and some upscale tuners???? I don't think that you can usually get tobacco burst on the OX so that will make it a bit unique if the AGF Special has it. Anyhow, I'm very interested...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-05-2010, 07:42 PM

An OX with a different finish than the two available now (RAW and clear gloss) sound like a great idea. It will really stand out and say AGF guitar! Ted has been talking about an RT RAW ever since these things came out and the price should still be very affordable, maybe three hundred more than what the RAW is selling for everywhere. The blueburst someone mentioned with Gotoh tuners should make an amazing go anywhere guitar..
Old 01-06-2010, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrporter View Post
How about an OX w/ tobacco burst front http://www.caguitars.com/PhotoGaller...p8=2469&p3=300 raw back and some upscale tuners???? I don't think that you can usually get tobacco burst on the OX so that will make it a bit unique if the AGF Special has it. Anyhow, I'm very interested...
Second that.

Though wondering... how thick is the coat of paint? Does it affect the ability of the top to vibrate?

jay
Seagull
Old 01-06-2010, 10:53 AM

Jay,I sell the high gloss OX as well and it's about 95% as responsive as the RAW but with a warmer tone. The RT finish should be right in between, like with other models that are available in all three finishes.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:13 PM

Looks like the AGF 1 will be an OX but I'm going to bump this to the top one last time.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:47 PM

My vote is for the OX Raw....I have the OX in the high gloss and love it but would be looking for this one as the "beater". Upgraded tuners would be nice but the stock ones do pretty well. Second choice would be a tobacco burst but definitely want to keep the price down so we get a good turnout.

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 01-06-2010, 06:51 PM

Default agf special

vote ox raw with electronic upgraded tuners
raw keeps cost down.
ca cargo raw (E)
kustom 35
Old 01-06-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rising1000 View Post
vote ox raw with electronic upgraded tuners
raw keeps cost down.
Low cost is great but what would make the AGF Special different than any other OX RAW? Gotoh tuners? I mean what can we do to the RAW to make it ours? There was another forum that had a small run of "special" OX RAW models with a slightly different rosette and I wondered why they even bothered.

Anyone can buy an OX in high gloss and RAW, my vote is for something only we can have. Based on Teds prices on the Legacy RAW and Legacy RT, we are not talking that much more for a sweet *** road tough OX than what the owner of the other forum was charging for the RAW OX. (full MAP)

Here is something else. My buddy has an 08' Cargo RT that he takes everywhere and it still looks like the day he bought it. By contrast my Cargo RAW is only three or four months old and it looks beat. No, I don't baby it but neither does he.

So when are we going to find out which it will be and when can I have one?
Old 01-07-2010, 06:52 AM

"but would be looking for this one as the "beater"."

Interesting modivation for a signature forum guitar. You might want to consider a low end and a high end guitar. I am sure that CA would be happy to work with you on both. Maybe the high end is for another day. Not trying to make life harder nor downing the project. I was a member of the Ovation Fan Club for a while and they came out with a signature guitar for the forum that was totally unique with a very cool koa top and unique sound hole. They only made 12 of them to start and they were not cheap but they were something special.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 01-07-2010, 08:59 AM

Oh heck, you didn't put a choice in the poll for PIZZA!
Carbon fiber AGF guitar.... seems odd, but oh well, looks like there are a few people interested.

2018 Taylor 412CE
2010 Blueridge BR-163A - Adi/EIR/K&K
Epiphone EF500-M
Old 01-07-2010, 09:18 AM

As I previously stated, absolutely not interested in a CA guitar. However, Rainsong is a big YES! Or, how about a special edition AGF Taylor guitar?
Old 01-07-2010, 10:31 AM

Mr Ed we get it, you don't like CA. I happen to be a Rainsong dealer as well and perhaps down the road we can do something with them. As for Taylor, this is the Acoustic Guitar Forum so the AGF model can be anyhing including Taylor. Maybe next year I can help out with that model.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarpman View Post
Mr Ed we get it, you don't like CA. I happen to be a Rainsong dealer as well and perhaps down the road we can do something with them. As for Taylor, this is the Acoustic Guitar Forum so the AGF model can be anyhing including Taylor. Maybe next year I can help out with that model.
Wasn't trying to beat a dead horse, just happened to think of a Taylor Special Edition this morning.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber