The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-25-2009, 08:45 PM

I have a 7M-CE (now GX) and a Cargo with RT finish. My other guitars seldom get played any more. They are truly fine guitars.

'03 Martin OM-28V
'04 Breedlove McKenzie Mando
'05 Seagull S12+
'06 Larrivee LV-03E
'07 Takamine TC132SC
'08 CA 7M-CE, '08 CA Cargo
SWR California Blonde II, AAD Cub
Old 12-26-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
...RainSong doesn't try to mask the tone of carbon but lets it shine through. A RainSong will give you a nicely balanced, articulate tone with all the qualities that are desirable in carbon fiber....
In other words, if you prefer the sound of carbon fiber to wood, go for a Rainsong. I definitely agree with that evaluation based on my playing experiences.

And if you prefer the sound of wood to carbon fiber, go for a CA, but evaluate the individual guitar carefully for neck/body/bridge/nut geometry and ensure that it can be setup to your preference before you commit.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 12-26-2009, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
In other words, if you prefer the sound of carbon fiber to wood, go for a Rainsong. I definitely agree with that evaluation based on my playing experiences.

And if you prefer the sound of wood to carbon fiber, go for a CA, but evaluate the individual guitar carefully for neck/body/bridge/nut geometry and ensure that it can be setup to your preference before you commit.

Fran
Hi Fran,

You got it!

After two very unsatisfying experiences with top-of-the-line CA models bought online during the last couple of years, I've seen an up-tick in Composite Acoustics' quality and setup with the in-store auditions I recently had with two different models and, no doubt, a CA guitar is in my future.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-26-2009, 07:03 PM

I have an '07 CA Bluegrass Standard (no electronics - don't need 'em) that sounds great. It's voiced around a mid-30's D-18 and while it won't match a high end woody, it certainly has a great tone and it is virtually indestructable. Just put it in the truck and forget it. Stays in tune and will give most of those woodies a run for there $$. BTW, I've played both CA and Rainsong and for me, CA is the winner hands down.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyGibsonF5 View Post
I have an '07 CA Bluegrass Standard (no electronics - don't need 'em) that sounds great. It's voiced around a mid-30's D-18 and while it won't match a high end woody, it certainly has a great tone and it is virtually indestructable. Just put it in the truck and forget it. Stays in tune and will give most of those woodies a run for there $$. BTW, I've played both CA and Rainsong and for me, CA is the winner hands down.
I had an aught-seven Bluegrass Standard with Fishman Aura and the bridge lifted off the top the first time I tried tuning 'er up. Now that'll spin yer cap 'round yer head a few times! Back that sucker went fast as greased lightnin'!

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 12-26-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
All of a sudden I find myself intrigued to the point of wanting a CA guitar. I'm guessing there are some folks here who have one or more and I'm wondering what your thoughts are on them. Are they everything they say they are? A GXi is sure calling to me even though I've never seen one much less played it?
Many thanks...
Go for it!

I have two CA's and will be buying my third next week. I currently have a Rainsong OM1000 as well as a CA Cargo and CA OX and it is true that CA's sound warmer, more like wood. I tried the GXi at LA Guitar Sales (the best place to buy a CA btw) and it is a powerhouse, actually louder then the Legacy dreadnought. Setup was great on every guitar they had with nice low action and comfortable but not overly thin necks.

Let us know how what you think if you get one.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:25 PM

Quote:
I had an aught-seven Bluegrass Standard with Fishman Aura and the bridge lifted off the top the first time I tried tuning 'er up. Now that'll spin yer cap 'round yer head a few times! Back that sucker went fast as greased lightnin'!

Regards,

SpruceTop
that's the kind of mistake a guitar company can't afford to make.

i mentioned this elsewhere... why are so many of the clips i've heard of CA's out of tune?
Old 12-26-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:

Regards,

SpruceTop
I actually had a $4000 Taylor do the same thing a few years back, ertainly not a pleasant experience but it sure didn't turn me off Taylor. Stuff happens, but judging by the reviews here and elsewhere, it's clear that CA is building some great guitars.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petelor View Post
Stuff happens, but judging by the reviews here and elsewhere, it's clear that CA is building some great guitars.
I have no doubt about that as I've recently played a couple of nice ones at a Sam Ash and as I mentioned, a CA is in my future for sure.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 12-27-2009, 12:21 AM

I bought a 7S-CE (slim body) from MacNichol. He offers super pricing and is very knowledgeable about CA's. Nce guy, niceeeeeeeeee guitar! I love mine and take it everywhere when I travel.

Old 12-27-2009, 09:16 AM

The OX raw was my first carbon guitar. When I brought it home, my Taylor sat in its case. After a couple months of not playing the Taylor (except for a couple times that I forced myself to give it a try and put it back again feeling that I wasn't missing anything), the Taylor went up for sale. I've since added a Legacy HG & GX HG.

I do have a laminate Jasmine (cheap) guitar that I keep in Nashville tuning, plus a Hofner bass & a MIM Strat. But I don't see me owning a solid wood acoustic again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber