The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-20-2008, 10:30 AM

Default Mini-not-so-Pure w/Wavelength System

I gave it a good long trial, but just couldn't develop a taste for the hollow SBT sound of the K&K mini-Pure Western. Not to worry, a good dose of Wavelength UST signal makes it much more palatable for my UST-oriented tastes. I'm reminded of my experience with the iBeam and the iMix. I couldn't tolerate the iBeam by itself, but did favor some iBeam signal blended in with the Element UST signal. I tended to favor a 70/30 (Element/iBeam) blend with that one.

While its easy enough for someone with good soldering skills to add a second source to the Wavelength system, there ARE three mini-Pure sensor leads to deal with. Considering my poor soldering skills, I decided to take option two. I'm thinking that two jacks look kind of cool on a $110 ebay fixer-upper with a "unique" paint job.

LOL, I've done gone dual source again.
Gary

Last edited by guitaniac; 04-20-2008 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:05 PM

Hey Gary,

Could you please post a pic of the full front of that guitar? You keep describing it in terms that really make me curious! (How's that for a tangent?)

Actually I find myself agreeing with your opinion of the K&K. As the stage volume increases, the K&K has a harder time cutting through the mix in my experience. I think it shines as a pickup for solo or small ensemble work.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:28 PM

jalbert,

Here's a photo from when I'd just gotten it back from Kansas Luthier Dave Wendler. Dave did a terrific job of salvaging a pretty messed up guitar. He upgraded it with a bone saddle, a bone nut, some fret leveling and a setup. That's also one of Dave's MagPi systems in the soundhole. Unfortunately, I have a long history of giving up on soundhole mags, partially because they get it the way of digging in deep with a thumbpick or flatpick, partially because I'm not terribly fond of the mag sound. Granted, the MagPi also incorporates an SBT. The SBT helps, but doesn't totally compensate for that mag flavor. Some day I'm going to get a tube pedal or tube amp, just to see if "tube magic" can make the mag sound any more appealing to me.)

Gary
Old 04-20-2008, 07:20 PM

Wow that really is a unique paint job haha.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification