The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-17-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthumb View Post
man, there are loads of really fine amps out there. i use a fender acoutisonic jr. , and older one with no bells or whistles..works fine at 30 watts, i believe and it can be gotten used for around 3 bills, maybe less these days...very simple and accurate reproduction of what you put in.it does have a "send" for sending to a p.a. which is helpful at times but, miking the amp works well, too...all in all, a very simple , basic and "frilless" amp but, of good tone , character and value.
I have the 30w DSP Acoustasonic - they have fantastic sound! Out of curiousity, do you gig with yours? If it's your actual sound setup, and not just a monitor, how big of a place have you used it for? I've been using house PAs here in Mobile for a couple months, and haven't broken out the Fender yet even for monitoring.

Guitars For Sale: *PRICES REDUCED 7/23/08!*
1964 Gretsch 6003 – $450 (shipped)
Custom Yamaha Strat - $160 (shipped)
Old 04-17-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lofapco View Post
Hey Rebel....

I just took a quick peek at my local Craigslist to see what was available. I personally would recommend an UltraSound AG50 which is likely in this same price range, but many have also suggested this Fender amp and here is one with a mic that looks to be in great condition. I doubt your local to me, but check your local craigslist and see what is there.

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/msg/646008504.html
Thanks man! I was looking on my local Craigslist (Philly area) and someone is selling a Fender Acoustasonic:
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/msg/643906329.html
The description says: "Similar to the newer Acoustasonic but taller. 2 instrument inputs, a mic input. SFX Technology. Multiple DSP effects." I assume that means it's the Fender Acoustasonic SFX... I don't need the effects at all, but it appears to have an XLR line out which I guess I would need, and it's a very good price. Any thoughts on that?
Old 04-17-2008, 04:26 PM

Continuing with the possibly stupid questions by me lol:

I noticed that the Behringer ACX900 and ACX1800 are both much better prices than most other amps. Do these amps absolutely suck? For someone on a very tight budget, could this amp serve me well at all? Also, do you think 90W (2 45W speakers) would be good for solo shows? Or should I think about more wattage than that?
Old 04-18-2008, 12:33 PM

OK I think I only have a couple more questions...

First of all, not to reiterate what we've already been through, but for someone like me on a VERY strict budget, is getting 1 powered speaker to use in small venues with no PA and then to hook up to a PA and use as a monitor in bigger venues with a PA basically not a good idea? It seems that it might be the same as buying an acoustic amp, only cheaper. But I'm not sure what to do!

Second, if I were to buy an amp (again, on a VERY strict budget), should I steer clear of the Behringer ULTRACOUSTIC ACX900 or the ACX 1800? Are they not very good amps at all? If I'm trying to save money, and I figure I will not need to use it as a main very often, would that be a good investment? Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 04-18-2008, 12:52 PM

OK, one more question:

Does anyone think the Fender Acoustasonic 30 would be enough for a few small shows where there is no PA? Because I could use it as a monitor in places WITH a PA so I think it might be a good investment. I just don't know if 30 watts will be enough.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:22 PM

I've owned both. The 30 is really only usable at home as a practice amp IMO. It is not very loud and the vocals break up very easily at any kind of volume. The Jr. has 2 40 watt amps, 1 for each channel vs. 30 watts for both channels on the 30. Behringer is good bang for the buck but not as good as the Fender.

Jim B

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification