The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-11-2016, 04:20 PM

Default K&k?

So my local tech should have no problem installing a K&K PWM on a
stock Opus?
Old 11-11-2016, 05:45 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dryfly View Post
So my local tech should have no problem installing a K&K PWM on a
stock Opus?
As posted by Sean @ Emerald above...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Guitars View Post
Rmsstrider01,

We have installed quite a few K&Ks into our guitars and have had no problems with them so far. What we would say is that these aren't a 'plug in and play' pickup, but work best when you are able to EQ them.

If someone has a K&K Pure Mini and orders an X20 from us, all you have to do is let us know in advance and we can prep the guitar for installation before shipping.

Best Wishes,

Sean
Old 07-28-2017, 11:18 AM

I know this thread is a little old, but it needed resurrecting. It's a great thread!

I too wanted to know if there was any tonal difference between the Opus and the Artisan. Everyone covered it here very well. I had thought the Opus would have thicker B&S which would impact tone, but perhaps not. When someone called it a satin finish, that made more sense. PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG!

One thing not said, you can get the Opus in the same colours as the Artisan line for an upcharge (still cheaper than Artisan). I was contemplating on Opus with a K&K awhile back. Sean at Emerald told me they could easily do any of the colours. They just had to pull an Opus before it got it's normal finish treatment and paint it up. I'd have a slight wait, but not near as much as for an Artisan. I recall seeing pics of a coloured Opus here at some time... looked quite nice I thought.

It is more expensive to buy and have Emerald install a K&K vs my local tech. I think that's because Emerald has to pay more to import the K&K. HOWEVER... I would rather have an Emerald expert do the installation vs a tech who has only worked on wooden guitars. I believe it's money well spent. Get it done right the first time!

In the end, I couldn't place the order. Bigger expenses came up that put this on the back burner. BUT... I'm seeing the end of the renovation tunnel and that Opus is singing in my brain again!! Sean at Emerald even contacted me a couple of weeks after our last conversation to see if I had any more questions. When I told him that I had to delay things indefinitely, he didn't contact me again. That right there is perfect customer service. Do a follow up to try and make a sale, but when the customer indicates things are off and I'll get back to you, let him do just that. This proper treatment of me as a potential customer spoke volumes about the company and has solidified them in the #1 position for my next musical purchase.

Last edited by Carbonius; 07-28-2017 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:36 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonius View Post
I know this thread is a little old, but it needed resurrecting. It's a great thread!

I too wanted to know if there was any tonal difference between the Opus and the Artisan. Everyone covered it here very well. I had thought the Opus would have thicker B&S which would impact tone, but perhaps not. When someone called it a satin finish, that made more sense. PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG!

One thing not said, you can get the Opus in the same colours as the Artisan line for an upcharge. I was contemplating on Opus with a K&K awhile back. Sean at Emerald told me they could easily do any of the colours. They just had to pull an Opus before it got it's normal finish treatment and paint it up. I'd have a slight wait, but not near as much as for an Artisan. I recall seeing pics of a coloured Opus here at some time... looked quite nice I thought.

It is more expensive to buy and have Emerald install a K&K vs my local tech. I think that's because Emerald has to pay more to import the K&K. HOWEVER... I would rather have an Emerald expert do the installation vs a tech who has only worked on wooden guitars. I believe it's money well spent. Get it done right the first time!

In the end, I couldn't place the order. Bigger expenses came up that put this on the back burner. BUT... I'm seeing the end of the renovation tunnel and that Opus is singing in my brain again!! Sean at Emerald even contacted me a couple of weeks after our last conversation to see if I had any more questions. When I told him that I had to delay things indefinitely, he didn't contact me again. That right there is perfect customer service. Do a follow up to try and make a sale, but when the customer indicates things are off and I'll get back to you, let him do just that. This proper treatment of me as a potential customer spoke volumes about the company and has solidified them in the #1 position for my next musical purchase.
Hey, glad you're in a position to be able to get the guitar you want.

A couple of points...although I haven't seen the crystal ice finish in the flesh, close-up hi res photos of it suggest to me that it's more of a tight pebbly finish than a satin (which is normally smooth). I'm a long time CA Cargo owner with the 'Road Tough' finish, which I really like. The RT finish seems perhaps a little smoother than the crystal ice finish, but I wouldn't hesitate to get an Opus with it...it looks nice. The only thing I would personally want is that the headstock also be gloss like the top, and match the color of the top (if a color other than black is chosen).

As for the k&k, my understanding is that if it's the pickup you want but not right away, it requires special prep which Emerald does if you tell them. I'd just get Emerald to do the install.

Good luck!
Old 07-28-2017, 12:17 PM

I should have added that the Opus with the upcharge for paint is still cheaper than the Artisan.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:55 PM

Quote:
....I would rather have an Emerald expert do the installation vs a tech who has only worked on wooden guitars. I believe it's money well spent. Get it done right the first time!.....
Agreed.
Sean said that adding a pickup later was not much different than for any other guitar and that any competent tech could do it (plus they would be happy to consult if needed). Even though I don't really need a pickup any more, I opted anyway to add the VTC Element option to my green Artisan X20-12 order. I may never actually use it, but it will be there and installed properly from the factory.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
Agreed.
Sean said that adding a pickup later was not much different than for any other guitar and that any competent tech could do it (plus they would be happy to consult if needed). Even though I don't really need a pickup any more, I opted anyway to add the VTC Element option to my green Artisan X20-12 order. I may never actually use it, but it will be there and installed properly from the factory.
I think you made a good choice.
I didn't really need pick-ups for my two guitars but had Emerald installed K&K mini pick-ups in both when placing my X7 and X20 order.
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 07-28-2017, 08:08 PM

The crystal ice back and side is a very attractive, matte rugged looking surface.

I have seen it in full black colored as well as application over carbon weave. One will not regret over it. The great thing is, if you hate grease and finger mark like me, you only clean the top after each play and not bother about the side and back. Occasional bump onto other surfaces will not put a scratch on the crystal ice surface too! About tone, well, when I strummed on my T8, my little girl will tell me how much vibration she can feel. So no worry on the thickness of the finish. It's adequate enough for protection and resonate well for good volume projection.
Old 07-28-2017, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I should have added that the Opus with the upcharge for paint is still cheaper than the Artisan.
My X20 is basically a red opus. gloss top, ice b/s and no pickup. The upcharge for the color was VERY reasonable. Wonderful guitar.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:16 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I wonder if there's an upcharge for an Opus with just the unidirectional weave like in the June Select Series as per below...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber