The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-11-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220volt View Post
Since I've played CA GX at the music store the other day here's my impression.

I have tested it for about an hour exchanging it back and forth with Taylor 516, 514, GC8 and Martin-000-28ec. I tested it on small carpeted sound proof room and huge showcase with hardwood floors. I fully realize that one hour is not enough time, but I usually go with first impression and don't wait until guitar grows on me.

Pros:
Guitar was very comfortable. Especially body. Very light as well. Neck was also comfy but not as much as Taylor's. I think it's the high gloss that makes it not as fast. I also could feel frets sticking out just a bit. Not sure why this is since this thing is not affected by humidity. I was surprised how not fake guitar sounded. If I ware to do a blind test, I could've not tell that this guitar is made of carbon. It had pretty good highs. Closer to Martin fundamental full highs than to Taylor's sparkling bell like highs.

Cons:
It was muddy and lacked clarity in mids and lows. Little hollow and round. If I was to play only first three strings, I would put it on the same level as Taylor's, but lows and mids were not that great. That is what gave this guitar not balanced sound.
This probably has nothing to do with guitar being made of carbon since I've heard the same thing on Eric Clapton's 000-28ec. Great highs, but muddy, around mids and lows. Both guitars actually sounded very similar. Not sure how I can describe it but it felt like it lacked something in the sound. More air, more body.

Overall, I would consider this guitar as my year round purchase so I wouldn't have to worry about temp/humidity so I could practice on and go to parties and play it. GA might impress me if I were never to play it back to back with Taylor and other guitars.
As far as trading it in for a Taylor, no way I would give up Taylors for GA GX. Even T5.
one thing one has to consider is that the strings on the GX are Phos/Bronze. if not played in a bit can sound a bit dull at first-- where as the 80/20s on the Taylors shine more when new off the wall. My 814CE I had I put elixir phos/bronze strings on and took them off right away as it sounded so dull and lifeless. I later learned from this forum that I need to play them in a bit and they losen up so to speak and then sound much better - not so dull or tight. I have found this too on my GX I put on new strings and play the crap out of it and play it hard. strings jump to life pretty quick. THIS can also make Martins sound crappy too- especially if on the wall or played a bit as they use uncoated strings and drop off pretty fast.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:23 PM

I think CA's do need brightening up and think 80/20s are a better choice. I always used phosporus bronze on my wood guitars. I played the GX HG at a guitar center for quite a while several months ago and thought it was very nice. It is probably one of their best sounding guitars. I think your ear need to get used to these guitars for about a week and then go back to your wood guitar. I can see why some people have a hard time going back. I have seen a few of these go for very good prices used on ebay in the last month. Thats a real crap shoot and you got to be patient. I just bought a CA new and would do it in a heart beat again, that way you get exactly what you want with no surprises.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 02-11-2010 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:56 PM

It cold be that it needed string change, but they felt and looked pretty new to me.

Here's why I don't buy "your ears need time to get used to the sound" argument. There was an excellent article in one of the scientific magazines few years back, on how humans perceive the sound. After multiple experiments conclusion was that humans can totally concentrate on one type of sound only for 27 seconds. After that, they become more and more subconsciously accustomed to it. More time you spend with the guitar you get accustomed to its sound. I noticed same thing when I was testing multiple guitars back and forth in stores. So pretty much you only have 27 sec window to switch and try another guitar so you can truly compare. Otherwise your ears get accustomed to the guitar you ARE playing the longest and you'll get mixed results.
So old advice that "if guitar doesn't speak to you as soon as you pick it up, let it go." still rings true. I go by that rule.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber