The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-02-2009, 11:36 AM

But your persistance in typing absolutely wrong piques my interest greater than the content of your posts. I hope you realize that commas, periods, etcetera comes directly after the word and not immediately following a space right before the next word... I apologize for being forward about your typing, I'm just astute to certain things - and your typing happened to catch my attention.

As far as the discussion goes, I believe scales are a good tool to know. But depending on what your doing, and why your playing they may or may not be necessary to know. If your playing just to have fun and play your favorite bands songs then its not really necessary. If you are yearning to be a great solo'er and want the ability to improv on demand, then it probably is something one should look into.

Fender MIM Stratocaster Black/White
Old 12-02-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidhadriel View Post
But your persistance in typing absolutely wrong piques my interest greater than the content of your posts. I hope you realize that commas, periods, etcetera comes directly after the word and not immediately following a space right before the next word... I apologize for being forward about your typing, I'm just astute to certain things - and your typing happened to catch my attention.

As far as the discussion goes, I believe scales are a good tool to know. But depending on what your doing, and why your playing they may or may not be necessary to know. If your playing just to have fun and play your favorite bands songs then its not really necessary. If you are yearning to be a great solo'er and want the ability to improv on demand, then it probably is something one should look into.

Thats alright i have my quirks also lol...........but yea i am dyslexic and without the spell check its a great more worse ,but i do try to a point but my meanings are what i value more .
I have to say i do not let it bother me anymore but i do realize people will be detracted from my meanings due to the limitations in presentation .

Actually the post i replied to was right on the money and i do realize that i talk way above my hands on ability .And to be honest i do think that playing is much more the fun and reward .Theory ,as is guitar forums , things that get to a point where they do pull you away from what you should be doing to balance your playing with your understanding .I think i have cemented this notion in this thread for me and i am going to be much less known around forums ............maybe design a site as an enthusiast just for my own amusement to put in a physical form what i have learned and what i am doing at any time .

So no i do realize people who look for correctness ,will always find the opposite in what i write grammatically .
Old 12-02-2009, 12:31 PM

Ah, I see now. I'm sorry - I didn't mean to be criticisizing your typing skills, especially if your dyslexic.

If your not having fun while playing a guitar, you might as well quit. There is no point in doing something that you don't enjoy. With that said, I do find myself forcing myself to play the guitar every now and then to practice, which isn't particularly fun or rewarding, but sometimes necessary in order to make sure I keep up with my guitar practices.

Old 12-02-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:

As far as the discussion goes, I believe scales are a good tool to know. But depending on what your (should be you're) doing, and why your (should be you're) playing (should be a comma here, no?) they may or may not be necessary to know. If your (should be you're) playing just to have fun and play your favorite bands songs then its not really necessary. If you are yearning to be a great solo'er and want the ability to improv on demand, then it probably is something one should look into.
Don't think your (should be you're) as astute as you think you are.

(This is probably the stupidest post I ever posted)
Old 12-02-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoB/335 View Post
Don't think your (should be you're) as astute as you think you are.

(This is probably the stupidest post I ever posted)
I'd agree.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Reno View Post
Jeremy,

There are a couple of things I have noticed over the years that may make you feel better about all this.

1. Many guitarists who talk a good game (especially theory) can't always back it up with actual playing. They can go on and on about scales, intervals, composition, etc., but when you hand them a guitar, their toy poodle rear-end can't keep up with their doberman mouth.
I don't mean this in a mean way at all. I have just noticed it too many times. Watch out for the guys who DON'T brag and DON'T try to convince you of how much they know and understand about the technical side of music. These are the guys who will probably blow your socks when you hear them.

2. I think many guitarists who are conversant in theory didn't start out that way. They started like you and most of us - playing to enjoy. Once ability increases, we all get a little curious about the technical side and jump into it.
There is always time to do the serious studying later. Unless you plan on going to a conservatory, or playing as a concert classical musician, you have the liberty to explore and enjoy at your own pace. Enjoy yourself as you explore this great instrument.

Regards,
Christian

Christian,

Thank you for a really good post. (I wanted to say nice but for some reason I hate that word....*g*) It was felt and appreciated. I think you know where I'm at but it was comforting to actually hear.

I will be plugging along and enjoying our instrument, made all the more fun/enjoyable with information like this. I can get very easily frustra---(I won't use that word anymore)...as any of us can.

Thanks very much.

Jeremy.

EDIT: To Zelator.....you've made many'a good post around here so please don't go off in haste. I've read some of your posts and you have much to share. I hope you don't feel the need to quit the forum on account of grammar etc. It takes some guts to share a dyslexic condition and please don't slink off because of some comments that were not meant to hurt ya. I have a couple very good freinds who are dyselxic and both will put me to shame on a few planes. So says I! Thanks here...*G*

Last edited by JeremyG; 12-02-2009 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:42 PM

No i'm ok i love this place .
Sometimes when prompted i just have to clear that up coz it is hard to defend .I would be on a loser there

No it gets it out the way and then we carry on .........i'm sure he was just doing what i do sometimes and pick out a persons weakness .

am i making him feel bad enough yet lolololol

No but really i've got this notion of having a progress site where i would log my progress and such ......hold all my information in one place and likes and dislikes in music .
Old 12-02-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelator View Post
No i'm ok i love this place .
Sometimes when prompted i just have to clear that up coz it is hard to defend .I would be on a loser there

No it gets it out the way and then we carry on .........i'm sure he was just doing what i do sometimes and pick out a persons weakness .

am i making him feel bad enough yet lolololol

No but really i've got this notion of having a progress site where i would log my progress and such ......hold all my information in one place and likes and dislikes in music .

Yes, I do feel bad for making an inappropriate discussion and pointing out a consistent flaw in Zelator's typing since its due to Dyslexia. I don't feel bad for understanding why he types the way he does though. I've met a lot of people on the internet that types just as bad out of pure laziness - which made me question Zelator.

However, more power to you Zelator, for typing and participating in discussions that are rather challenging for someone in your condition. I feel bad enough for going off-topic, and I'm glad to see that my curiosity hasn't aggravated you away. Rock on...

Old 12-02-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I hope you realize that commas, periods, etcetera comes directly after the word and not immediately following a space right before the next word...
Etcetera is two words - et cetera.
Old 12-02-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern View Post
Jeremy, writing about music theory seems always complicated and confusing. Actually, learning scales, intervals, etc. and applying them is much easier and under the circumstances it's a lot fun...kind of putting a puzzle together. I believe, the written word about music makes a lot people shy away from learning theory.
Completely agree Bern.

I also agree with JermyG's take that it needs to be fun, otherwise its just too much work and no pay (at least for me). Bottom line for me is, I learn and play guitar/music because it's fun.

Last edited by Sage97; 12-02-2009 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
Etcetera is two words - et cetera.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Last edited by BoB/335; 12-02-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:47 PM

Default Not that my opinion is needed but ...

Hey Jeremy,

My own experience, like most folks here, has been driven by fun. And, the more fun you have, the more you do it. Then suddenly ... you're better ... without even 'trying'.

At some point, for any number of reasons, you begin to 'want' to know more - it is not a chore, it is 'fun'.

Or not. And so what?

You shouldn't worry about what you do and don't know - let your enjoyment drive you. You will know when and if you want to 'peel the onion' and delve into deeper layers. You will do it because it is fun. It is amazing how much can be learned when your not being judgemental about it.

I'll bet almost every player here who has invested the time to learn more theory, develop more skill and understanding about the fretboard etc., did so because it was an extension of 'fun' and they saw it as a path to more fun.

Enough gobblygook from me.
Old 12-03-2009, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Reno View Post
Jeremy,

There are a couple of things I have noticed over the years that may make you feel better about all this.

1. Many guitarists who talk a good game (especially theory) can't always back it up with actual playing. They can go on and on about scales, intervals, composition, etc., but when you hand them a guitar, their toy poodle rear-end can't keep up with their doberman mouth.
I don't mean this in a mean way at all. I have just noticed it too many times. Watch out for the guys who DON'T brag and DON'T try to convince you of how much they know and understand about the technical side of music. These are the guys who will probably blow your socks when you hear them.

snip

Regards,
Christian
I admit it, I fit the description in your point number 1.

No kidding, you are completely right. I actual started learning music theory at school, before I could play any instrument. My guitar playing is OK but no where near the level I can talk at ;-)

My knowledge of music theory has been very useful but, theory alone does not make a good musician. I agree, it's what you can do that counts.

Funny thing music theory. You start out learning that you should only play the eight notes of the major scale. After 30+ years of it, I have now come to this conclusion. You can use music theory the justify playing any note at any time. The trick is knowing what that's going to sound like. Good ears and a lot of playing experience wins every time.

Cliff
Old 12-03-2009, 07:45 AM

One of the many aspects of this (blues..in my case) hobby that always gets me grinning is listening to the ol' timers recordings etc. that I hear on the computer.

The older fellahs, Leadbelly comes to mind, as do some unnamed recordings where you can just see the musicians...sitting in that rocking chair on the front porch after a long, hard days work.

They made some wonderful music, some not quite so wonderful. But the songs that lasted live on as did the jam sessions.

How much "theory" do you suppose those boys studied??? Amazing talent.

It's all good. It's just fascinating to me.

Jeremy.....feeling a tad guilty since I didn't originate this post.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write