The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-21-2009, 11:55 AM

Default 12 string fingerstyle - G string question

I'm a relative beginner at guitar, mostly strumming simple tunes. I prefer to play my 12 string (a little more room for my large hands, and sounds great to my ears!).

Anyhow, I've been trying to learn some fingerstyle tunes, and I notice that with the "traditional" arrangement of the G course (thinner string towards the top of the guitar), I don't get a clear ringing of the octave G string with my index finger (due to the upward stroke direction).

I've done a little research on line, and found a few references to using unison stringing for the G course for fingerstyle. It would also seem reasonable that one could reverse the G strings (I'd need to modify my nut either way).

On the other hand, maybe my technique is the problem.

Any recommendations?
Old 11-21-2009, 12:59 PM

Lots of us 12 string players have this problem.Before you do anything my I suggest that you go out and check a Rickenbacker 12 string,just to get a feel.My 70's Fender acoustic 12 is set up like a Rickenbacker with the exception all the strings are equal in hieght.My Guild is in standard 12 string strung also all strings are equal in hieght.My playing partner has a Celeberty 12 string set up with just the G string switched around the octive is on the inside.This does allow the octive to be picked by your finger first as the thumb is allowed to strike the octive.
Have 3 seperate nuts made so if your not happy you can always go back to the original setup or to whatever setup you end up preferring.
My tools-Larrivee OM03PA and J05,72 Harmony made Fender 12 string,Guild JF30 6+12,Stagg E/A,Guild Starfire bass,a couple of Tele's,65 Gibson L48 and a 49 L7,mando,balzuki,a couple of Gretsch's,72 Fender Princton Reverb,Ultra Sound AC30 and a bunch of other toys.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:58 AM

If you want to accent the high octave string of a 12-string when plucking with a finger, try a variation of a classical "rest" stroke with your picking hand.

Say you are playing the G string pair (6th and 5th) with the first finger of your picking hand. With a normal upward stroke the low 5th string dominates and the high octave just gets brushed incidentally. Instead of digging into the strings and plucking upward and away from the soundhole, slightly straighten and relax the first joint of your finger a bit and pluck the string pair toward the soundhole so that your picking finger comes to rest on the strings below (In this case the D strings -8th and 7th). This slight change in the stroke angle across the string pair will ensure that high octave string is plucked last and rings out.

This technique works best on isolated or sustained notes that need the high octave accented. It is not very effective if you are trying to accent the high octave every time in a fast pattern. I find that the rest stroke tends to slow things down a bit.

If you watch 12-string players who can really accent the high octave strings well, you will see a subtle position change in the right hand (just before the note is played) that is the setup for playing the rest stroke.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitts8rh View Post
If you want to accent the high octave string of a 12-string when plucking with a finger, try a variation of a classical "rest" stroke with your picking hand.

Say you are playing the G string pair (6th and 5th) with the first finger of your picking hand. With a normal upward stroke the low 5th string dominates and the high octave just gets brushed incidentally. Instead of digging into the strings and plucking upward and away from the soundhole, slightly straighten and relax the first joint of your finger a bit and pluck the string pair toward the soundhole so that your picking finger comes to rest on the strings below (In this case the D strings -8th and 7th). This slight change in the stroke angle across the string pair will ensure that high octave string is plucked last and rings out.

This technique works best on isolated or sustained notes that need the high octave accented. It is not very effective if you are trying to accent the high octave every time in a fast pattern. I find that the rest stroke tends to slow things down a bit.

If you watch 12-string players who can really accent the high octave strings well, you will see a subtle position change in the right hand (just before the note is played) that is the setup for playing the rest stroke.
This makes perfect sense. Thanks to all for responses.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write