The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-14-2008, 12:17 PM

Default non DSP Fender Acoustasonic Jr.?

Is anyone using one of the non DPS Acoustasonic Jr.'s in small venues for both guitar, vocal, and maybe even a backing cd player plugged into the effects send?
Old 04-14-2008, 12:49 PM

I haven't tried the backing CD player, although it's possible that if it had it's own volume control it could be made to work somehow. I have used my older non-DSP Acoustisonic Jr for small to medium venues (Nursing homes, Homeless shelters) with no problem. I set it on a chair or small table. I run my gutiar straight in and use an SM58 on the vocal channel. Adjust the chorus and reverb to taste and rock on.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:30 PM

Steam...I used to own an Acoustasonic Jr, non-DSP and really wished I had kept it. I play strictly through my PA now but I really miss that amp. The older version with the analog chorus and reverb is far superior to the DSP models IMO. If I find another one for the right price I'm picking it up. It really has a nice warmth to it that many other acoustic amps seem to lack. Don't know about your effects loop question.

Jim B
Old 04-14-2008, 01:42 PM

Thanks, I have a line on a used one, I have been debating with myself on all weekend.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:05 PM

Well, Jim. I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought the used one I have been negotiating on. I should have it Monday. I am hoping it is what I need for the few acoustic gigs I have set up for the next few months. If not, I do have my pa, speakers, and stands that I can haul around. I am just hoping to avoid that for the smaller venues.
Old 04-18-2008, 01:24 PM

I think you're going to be very happy with the Fender, especially at $200. I'd buy another in a heart beat for that if I could find one. I played through my old one just last night as a matter of fact. I had sold it to my duo partner and we were working in a new bass player so we just plugged into the Jr. and it sounds great. You made a good choice.

Jim B
Old 04-18-2008, 02:40 PM

I second that. I went around and around with all kinds of high-end acoustic guitar amps. After about a month of heavy-duty testing, I wound up keeping my Acoustasonic Jr. (the DSP version).
Old 04-22-2008, 11:07 AM

It showed up last night from UPS. The condition is a tad rougher than I was led to believe. The tolex is in pretty good shape, but dirty. I think it will clean up ok. The front panel has a few dings and scratches, too. It was missing the knob on the master reverb shaft, but the control works. I didn't get to test the amp until this morning before work. As soon as I plugged in my Taylor 414CE, it started feeding back like crazy. I adjusted the feedback notch way down, and took care of that. I aslo dialed the string dynamics button down to "1" to get better highs. I played with the chorus and reverb settings until it sounded pretty good to me, overall. I was surprised how much I had to crank the volume on the microphone channel for my Shure SM58. That means I will need to use a small mixer to control the volume of my cd player I was going to use for backing tracks in the high impedence input. My wife said it all sounded muffled to her, but once I fiddled a bit with the tone controls, she said it sounded a lot better. This was all in 10 minutes this morning. I am sure it will be fine for my immediate needs once I experiment with it a little more and get things dialed in. I called Dave's Guitar who I bought it from, about the missing knob. They claimed to have one in their shop and are going to mail it to me. All in all, I still think it was worth what I wound up paying for it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification