The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

View Poll Results: BEST AMP!!!
SWR California Blonde II Acoustic $749.99 11 18.97%
Fender Acoustasonic SFX II Combo Amp $799.99 5 8.62%
Marshall AS100D Acoustic Combo Amp $699.99 2 3.45%
Fishman Loudbox Performer Combo Amp $799.95 12 20.69%
GENZ BENZ SHENANDOAH 150LT $729.99 21 36.21%
Roland AC-90 45Wx2 Acoustic Combo -$799.99 7 12.07%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-18-2008, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Str8's View Post
Finally got my Martin DC-28E, what an amazing instrument!!!... So, these are the AMPS I have made it to with my budget.
Another warm AGF welcome, Dire Str8's, together with congrats on that Martin. Nice!

You're getting some great responses here. Mind if I mention an "amp" that doesn't fit your price range, but that you might one day want to consider? It's the Bose L1. More money, but then it's a PA system that a lot of people have used to replace their amps. If you're not familiar with it, I think you'd enjoy reading about it. http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...highlight=Bose We talk about it here a good bit, and we have some folks who think it's the end-all, and some who think it's not so hot.

I heard one last night at a street cafe on Saint Simons Island, Georgia. The solo singer/guitarist and his Gibson sounded great, all the way down the block. At the very least, it's an interesting system. Like I say, though, it's a good bit more money than the amps you're asking about.

For my purposes, Ultrasound fits the bill nicely. Some people might need a bit more umph, but when I do I plug it into a PA, using it as a monitor.

Glad you're with us. Let us know which you select, will you, and why. A lot of other people are likely considering the same options.

cotten
Old 04-18-2008, 10:12 PM

AER, all the way. I've never played anything like 'em.
But the only thing worth listing:
1 wife, four amazing kids.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:57 AM

Default Pegleg

Peg,

I'm with you on the Peavey. Never see many or hear any chat about them.
Old 04-19-2008, 09:50 PM

I love the GB's but I'm feeling kind of jilted. My Trace Elliot TA100 didn't even get a mention. It at least deserves to be on the list, especially since they're relatively inexpensive on the used market. I do realize we grow attached to our equipement and maybe my judgement has been skewed over the years. Is there a fatal flaw with these amps that I'm unaware of?
Old 04-19-2008, 10:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSMidd View Post
AER, all the way. I've never played anything like 'em.
I second that--sold my Acoustasonic and Ultrasound and went with AER compact 60, mainly because it is smaller & lighter yet has what to my ears is more accurate sound reproduction. The guitar sounds uncolored and very close to how it sounds acoustically and vocals sound better than through any amp I've played. However, I also like Ultrasounds as a second choice, and they are a lot less money. They are a little bigger and heavier and a little coloration--perhaps a little bassier sounding than the AER.

Martin 0000-18 12-Fret Adi/Sinker Mahogany
Old 04-21-2008, 12:55 PM

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE COMMENTS!!!

Sorry I didnt throw UltraSound on there...my Uncle has one and it just sounds hollow...maybe he got a bad one. I will give a new-one a try this weekend. I played a Crate CA120DG last nihgt and I was really impressed with the sound, options, and the bass is great; but its close to 50lbs...
Old 04-21-2008, 01:02 PM

Dire Str8's,

I see you are in SoCal. I have a Fender Acoustasonic SFX that you can try and buy if you like. It is a very good amp. I bought it new a couple years ago. I am Jonesin for the Bose system.

Taylor HR-14 Hot Rod NAMM Limited Edition "Hot Rod" (Aniversary Present from my Wife)

http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/b...letrap-photos/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification