The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-18-2008, 10:35 AM

Default Mi-Si UST System Sound Samples

Well, I finally did some picking and strumming sound samples with what I consider to be close to optimum EQ with the help of the Fishman Platinum Pro EQ preamp. I also used a modest amount of the Platinum's "smooth effect" (11 o'clock setting). Here's the signal chain used:

Mi-Si equipped Taylor 314ce > Platinum preamp> Zoom H4 recorder

Sound Samples

For the benefit of the uninitiated, the Mi-Si system is a battery-free active pickup system which employs a "supercapacitor" which only takes 60 seconds to charge up and provides 8hrs to 16hrs playing time (depending on which system). If the charging transformer happens to be lost or unavailable, it can also be charged with a stereo cable and a 9v battery.
www.mi-si.com

An interesting claim by the Mi-Si folks is that their use of a "charge amplifier" and something called a "custom linearization scheme" reduces piezo quack. See this FAQ sheet for more on that.
http://www.mi-si.com/faq.html

At this point, I tend to believe that claim. The system definitely seems to have a different responsiveness and feel to it. Also, when I double-strum aggressively, I don't hear as much of that "blat, blat, blat" thing which I'm used to hearing with an aggressive attack. I'm hoping the mp3 sample will support that observation, but (as always) the Rick Turner/Doug Young disclaimer (that its hard to tell diddly-squat from mp3s over the internet) applies. If most of you hear it differently than I do, it certainly won't be the first time that's happened.

Gary

Last edited by guitaniac; 04-18-2008 at 10:43 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification