The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-15-2008, 10:19 AM

Thumbs up epiphone firebird studio..wow!!

here is the guitar i never wanted...never!...never wanted all of the tone and pure blues driving power of double waxed humbuckers and a solid mahagony body with features out the yin yang because i don't like weird shaped bodies, reverse headstocks or taiwnese built guitars....duh!...what the heck was i thinking???? this sucker just screams! hot, loud, punchy, crisp, mellow ,...sweet..does it all. absolutely stellar for blues slide, too!
the two down sides are:1) it is head heavy (comparatively) and 2) they just don't charge enough for them..

http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?...ollectionID=18
Old 04-15-2008, 10:27 AM

Yeah, I own a Dean Explorer-copy that I really wish I could have hated when I picked it up on a whim at a local store. I plugged it into an old Marshall and played for over an hour straight.

I rarely use it live because it is just so not me looks wise, but, OMG . . . what a sound! I think it has something to do with the sheer mass of mahogany in that ridiculous body shape. It is the essence of rock guitar. I use it for lead playing in the studio about 75% of the time and I have several more expensive guitars I could choose from.

Wayne
Old 04-15-2008, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwayne View Post
Yeah, I own a Dean Explorer-copy that I really wish I could have hated when I picked it up on a whim at a local store. I plugged it into an old Marshall and played for over an hour straight.

I rarely use it live because it is just so not me looks wise, but, OMG . . . what a sound! I think it has something to do with the sheer mass of mahogany in that ridiculous body shape. It is the essence of rock guitar. I use it for lead playing in the studio about 75% of the time and I have several more expensive guitars I could choose from.

Wayne
i know exactly what you mean.....i saw johnny winter playing this massive explorer and doing some of the finest nastiest slide riffs on it. i figured if johnny could get past the body shape, well,...i darn sure can....and have!

(i still don't know about going in public with it, though....reminds me of this girl i used to...nevermind...)
Old 04-15-2008, 03:05 PM

Thumbs up

Steinberger tuners too? Sweet.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:22 PM

i dig the firebird/thunderbird look... i guess that's why i got my japanese epi tbird.

here's pics of a mid 70's firebird for those who want some eye candy. i was hosting the pics for a guy over at the gear page:
http://argon18.com/spence_firebird_v/
Japanese Ephiphone Thunderbird > yorkville xm50
Old 04-16-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyee View Post
i dig the firebird/thunderbird look... i guess that's why i got my japanese epi tbird.

here's pics of a mid 70's firebird for those who want some eye candy. i was hosting the pics for a guy over at the gear page:
http://argon18.com/spence_firebird_v/
very cool!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification