The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 04-15-2008, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Default Flying with a Sunrise Pickup

Hey folks,
I have a Sunrise in my Composite Acoustics X Performer. I have to fly this weekend with it. Sunrise recommends that I remove the pickup so it doesn't become "dislodged." Has anyone flown with a Sunrise and left it in?

The CA has a very small sound hole so there is no easy way to remove and install the Sunrise. I have to loosen all the strings and totally remove 2. Then I have to loosen one of the "clamps" all the way and let it drop into the guitar. That is the easy part. Putting it back in is the real challenge. I have pretty big fingers and it's very tough to get that clamp back under the pickup, line up the screw holes and reattach the clamp.

Sunrise says if you can't remove it, support it from below with dense block of foam. I tried that but the only way I could get the foam in there was to remove the pickup!

I plan to try and carry the guitar on in which case I wouldn't have to remove the Sunrise but if they don't let me and I have to check it and need to remove the pickup, it would be too late as I am not going to be able to have a screwdriver in the case. So I guess I need to decide ahead of time to either leave it in and run the risk of it coming loose or take it out and deal with the hassle of removing and reinstalling it.

Hoping someone has been through this and can lend some advice.

Thanks!
Matt

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification