The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-21-2014, 11:23 PM

Default GS Mini?

Tried one of these? Yes, 1 11/16, but Taylor's neck profile. Might make a difference and they're readily available shiny new.
Old 08-25-2014, 09:36 AM

I had a Taylor 214ce Deluxe with a 1 11/16 nut and the neck was still too thick for me. I would assume the GS Mini would play the same? I will take a look at the specs and see if the neck shape is any different.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations on the 1960s Guilds, Gibson BP J-45, and the Gurian.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:43 AM

Keep in mind the USA Kalamazoo made Epiphone acoustics from the '60s as you're looking at Gibsons anyway.

Ages ago, I had a small bodied '60s Epi (forget the model) with a thin neck and nice sound!
Old 08-25-2014, 10:45 AM

Since we're talking Taylor, keep an eye out for a pre-NT (mid-1999 or earlier) model. I've got a '96 maple 420 with a flat-C profile ~1.65" neck, similar to the '60s Gibsons you mention (I'm also a fan of the thinner necks, BTW); those were the days when Bob T.'s ad campaign boasted "the playability of a fine electric," so you might well find something that meets your needs in an older Taylor...
Old 08-25-2014, 10:52 AM

I have a '66 Gibson B-25 I acquired in '75. Although it sometimes feels more like I'm playing a mandolin than a guitar, I've never wanted to let go of it.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:57 AM

There's a new thread here about the new Epiphone Texan FT-79 that is out in September that has a 1.58 neck, all solid.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarfish View Post
There's a new thread here about the new Epiphone Texan FT-79 that is out in September that has a 1.58 neck, all solid.
Here's the link:

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Aco...964-Texan.aspx
Old 08-26-2014, 04:35 PM

You can add to your list the Martin 7-28 and a sixties Epiphone Cortez

https://soundcloud.com/willie-johnson-jr
Old 08-26-2014, 05:41 PM

oh man, nice suggestions! That Epiphone Ltd. Ed. Elitist "1964" Texan looks like it would be right up my alley. I wonder what the price is going to be.

I didn't know Martin made anything with a 1 5/8" nut, but I googled the 7-28 and it looks sick. It also has a low profile neck, which is exactly what I'm looking for. Would need to save up for a while though because they are pricey (for me, at least).
Old 08-31-2014, 07:05 PM

Just won an e-Bay auction for a 1971 Gibson B-25. I hope the neck turns out to be what I am looking for, I will update this thread when it arrives.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:41 PM

Mission accomplished! The Gibson B-25 neck is even skinnier than my Strat...I think it is around 1 9/16". There is a little adjustment that needs to be made on the other side of the spectrum, to compensate for a smaller neck, but I find it a lot more comfortable and easier to play than my old Taylor. The action is low and I can do fast(ish....for me) runs on it pretty easily. It's definitely a keeper.

I think maybe having a thinner neck is more important to me than a small nut width at the end of the day (the Gibson is both thin and small). I don't think I'll ever like a 1 3/4" nut, but I could see myself getting used to a 1 11/16" nut if the neck was thin enough.

I'm happy with the Gibson and I'm planning on keeping it. But now I'd also like to try a Martin neck (modified low oval), just to see how it feels. Time to start saving again.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Congrats, Mam8dg!

That guitar looks in great shape for a 71. I'm glad you found one off your list of possibles.

It's funny how specs such as nut width go in cycles. I can remember that those guitars felt good in the 60s--whilst older guitars often felt like Louisville Sluggers. Perhaps my hands were smaller then? (No.)

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 01-22-2015, 11:00 PM

Man... I'm in the exact same boat as you. How do you like the Gibson sound compared to your Taylor?

My big problem is I love the Taylor sound but it's so unique... nothing else seems to sound like it.

I think I'm going to get one of those 7-28's though. I've always wanted a Martin and that's a perfect fit!
Old 01-23-2015, 10:23 AM

The B-25 has it's own thing going on. I sold the Taylor a while ago, but from what I can remember, the Taylor had a crisper, deeper, more harmonically complex sound. IMO the Taylor sounded better, but since I am mainly an electric player, I am more concerned with playability than sound when it comes to acoustic guitars. Not to say the B-25 sounds bad or anything...I am happy with the sound for my own purposes.

I also picked up a mid-60's Fender King which also has a skinny neck and 1 5/8" nut. It's a different type of a sound...kind of boxy and 2 dimensional. Again, did not sound as nice the Taylor sound but it plays better.

I tried a Martin with a the modified low oval neck. It didn't do it for me, but it was a cheaper model--the DCX1E. I just wanted to see whether the neck was skinny enough for me. I found it to be too chunky...even more so than the Taylor. I ended up hating it and returning it...I preferred the Taylor neck (and much preferred the B-25 and Fender King necks). No offense to anybody who likes that guitar, I just have weird taste in necks...my preferences seem to be the exact opposite of most acoustic players.

I still have the B-25 and Fender King. I pretty much chose playability above sound until I can afford something like a Gurian when I have more $$ to spend.
Old 01-23-2015, 11:23 AM

Another guitar to add to the list of modern:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acou...uthrie-LG.aspx

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion