The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-23-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
i'll just say that i believe that all people should be paid fairly for their work, and leave it at that.
The people that hired him determined that $84 million was fair compensation. If they don't have the right to determine his salary, then who does?
Old 10-23-2014, 12:07 PM

It's a profitable company, has many good products, most if not all of those have good competition, and they also return money back to stockholders. I've seen worse problems.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
lots of reasons. for one, how about supply and demand. what exactly has satya nadella done that thousands of others couldn't?
I don't know the answer, but I'm sure Nadella answered it to the satisfaction of the Board of Directors who hired him instead of all the other people considered for the job.

For the sake of discussion, let's say there are thousands of people qualified to run Microsoft. Every one of them already has a job, making megabucks. If you want to hire one to run your company, you have to offer something he or she is not already getting. That might be something intangible, but more likely it's ... wait for it ... more megabucks. That's how supply and demand works in the tiny universe of giant-corporation CEOs. It's a seller's market, and the job candidates turn your question back on the interviewers: What will your company offer me that hundreds of other companies won't?

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts." - Richard Feynman, 1966

Last edited by Bucc5207; 10-23-2014 at 02:19 PM. Reason: ETA more thoughts on supply and demand for CEOs
Old 10-23-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Microsoft's new CEO, Satya Nadella, made $84M this year. That includes:
  • $59.2M in shares ("potentially worth 59.2", I guess it depends upon the stock value?)
  • $13.5M in retention award
  • $ 1.2M base salary (that's for this year, didn't state for last year)
  • $$ Misc

Just stunning the amounts of money out there and the base salary for CEOs can be so misleading. I hope the shareholders are getting a great ROI. I don't own MSFT stock so I have no voting rights on this, lol.

What are your thoughts?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...y-package.html
And how many million people are homeless or starving out there?
Old 10-23-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
If there's only ONE million of them, I suppose we could give them all 84 dollars a year ($7 a month, less than $2 a week) instead of paying the CEO.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
at what level would you cap people's earnings to redistribute to those who don't have any money? What about those who would disagree with you? The problem is, everybody has a different yardstick. Which one are you going to use? There will always be poor people, there always have been. Why does that make it immoral for other people to succeed beyond the point that YOU think is necessary? I am certainly not rich, but I hold no ill will toward people who are. I've said this before, but my dad once said that if you took all the money in the world, and gave everybody an equal share, in 6 months the same people who had it before would have it again, because there are people who know how to make money, and people who know how to lose it.

Old age and treachery will outsmart youth and skill every time. - My dad...
Old 10-23-2014, 05:35 PM

Why is it greedy if I want to keep the money I made, but it's not greedy if some want others to take it from me and give it to them?

Not my quote, but I like it.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:43 PM

Lightbulb

i can't think of another activity more pointless than complaining about how much money someone else earns, as long as it's done legally. The fact that this guy earns that kind of Money does nothing to effect the amount of money I earn. He and I obviously took different paths in life that led to this disparity between his income and mine.

The great thing about this country is that we both had the same opportinities to choose which directions we wanted to go in. I'm not complaining about the direction I chose. I certainly have no right to complain about the path he took.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:01 PM

"Same opportunities" is a fantasy .
Dubya Bush majoring in Cheerleading and becoming President was all about inequal opportunity.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callouses View Post
at what level would you cap people's earnings to redistribute to those who don't have any money? What about those who would disagree with you? The problem is, everybody has a different yardstick. Which one are you going to use? There will always be poor people, there always have been. Why does that make it immoral for other people to succeed beyond the point that YOU think is necessary? I am certainly not rich, but I hold no ill will toward people who are. I've said this before, but my dad once said that if you took all the money in the world, and gave everybody an equal share, in 6 months the same people who had it before would have it again, because there are people who know how to make money, and people who know how to lose it.
I think Lenin and Trotsky tried their hand at the problem.
They failed.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by callouses View Post
Sounds to me like it's not as though they just dumped a lot of cash on top of him, it's in the form of stock in the company, which puts the ball in his corner to make the company perform, in order to get the maximum benefit for himself. What's wrong with that?
They drive companies to benefit them. That IS what's wrong with that. It means sacrificing long term vision and sustainability for short term profit taking. The investor class likes the formula. We ride CEO waves and profit. The earnings class gets screwed. Our wages are driven down, productivity is ratcheted up and the worker sees little reward for their labor from the entity. It's just a dumb model.

max
Old 10-24-2014, 08:00 AM

mjz:

How can the "dumb model" change if those who don't like it do nothing to change it?

No one is preventing you or anyone else from opening a business and paying the employees a great wage. People can put their money where their mouth is if they don't like how things are. It's far too easy to complain while doing nothing.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duff beer View Post
mjz:

How can the "dumb model" change if those who don't like it do nothing to change it?

No one is preventing you or anyone else from opening a business and paying the employees a great wage. People can put their money where their mouth is if they don't like how things are. It's far too easy to complain while doing nothing.

Ah.... It benefits me. I have owned businesses, and will again. I make lots of money running someone else's business model right now. I am in the investment class. So this isn't your standard class envy. It's simple economics.

Workers no longer have the tools to change it.

Unions are evil
Government is evil
The "free market" rules (it's far from free)

I don't complain and do nothing.
But hard work and pulling one self up by their bootstraps isn't the prescription.
I work to elect representatives who agree with me.

So I benefit and still see the ridiculousness in the model.
I could make even more coin if the middle class had more spending power...
D'uh.

max
Old 10-24-2014, 10:34 AM

Oh, the system is rigged in favor of the rich. Everybody knows that. But we are only human, it's an imperfect world, and that's been going on since the beginning of recorded time. It's a fact that's not going to change.
That's still no excuse for not trying to introduce a little more fairness to a system in which there are really only two classes: those who have to work for a living and those who live off the work that others do for them. We owe to our children, our elderly and our disabled to provide them some aid when, through circumstance which is not their choice, they cannot adequately care for themselves.
Old 10-24-2014, 10:38 AM

Well, at least you admit that you're part of the problem. It's all about the money...screw the lowly workers.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic