The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-23-2014, 10:04 AM

Default Newbie with a CF

Hi everyone, recently I suffered from severe GAS and traded my fantastic Larrivee L 05 for a Composite Acoustic GX.

Though I love the sound of my L05, over the years it has developed 3 cracks on the top (I live in Canada). They were all repaired but I guess I just got tired of checking for humidity and keeping it in a case.

I began researching on CF guitars. I weighted the pros and cons. There isn't a single dealer in town that carries CA or rain song. A few days ago, a trade option came up on craiglist, we met and I traded away my larrivee.

I read somewhere on this forum that the sound of a CA or CF (in general) will grow on you. I am hoping this is true for my case. Right now, I am not saying that it is a bad sound. I like the volume and clarity. It has bass and sustain. But it just sounds different from a wooden guitar. I just don't know whether to like it or not.

Am I just having buyer's regret? Anyone has a similar experience / encouragement? Any practical tips to improve the tone? Any one thinks that its a bad or good trade?

Thanks in advance.

Ray
Old 09-23-2014, 10:50 AM

I don't have any direct experience with the Gx, only the Cargo. We picked up a Rainsong WS-1000 while living in Alaska. It was nice to not have to worry constantly about the humidity and to some degree the temperature. It was the only guitar that could live on a stand or wall hanger to be handy.

The tone is not the same as a wood guitar, but it is nice. Don't panic just yet, give it a chance. I am a big fan of CF guitars (and like Larivee's too) but CF tone is different.
Old 09-23-2014, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

I liked the sound of my RainSong Shorty from the first strum. Definitely different from my wood guitars... but I like the fact that each of my guitars has a different voice.

I bought the RainSong last year while spending the summer on our boat. The "good" guitars stayed at our house, I had my Taylor GSmini with us on the boat when I ordered the Shorty.

I mention that because the GSmini gets a LOT of love on the forums. After playing only the Mini for a few months, I was absolutely delighted with the sound of the Shorty. Immediately.

Doesn't mean I want to get rid of the Mini, though.

Enjoy this carbon fiber. Play the heck out of it. It may take your ears a short time for it to feel "like home." Because it is different. Just like another other wood guitar would be different. And, if, with some time, it doesn't do it for you, another trade is easy - there are always folks out there who want a cf guitar.

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
Old 09-23-2014, 01:38 PM

I personally love my L13 and to be honest I'm not sure I could distinguish well between it and wooden guitars. But that might just be me
Old 09-24-2014, 01:56 AM

Wink

Yes, the sound of CF grows on me...
Try changing strings; that may help accelerate the loving part, ya ?
If not, there is always great demand for CA GX, you know ?
2009 GXi Wine
2009 CA 12-Strings Sun-burst
2010 X-Performer Carbon-burst
2011 Cargo Red

Emerald Soloist
2012 X20-OS Vintage Amber

Blackbird Soloist
2013 Super OM Carbon-burst with italian racing red sound-holes

http://pinterest.com/charming01/carb...forced-guitars
Old 09-24-2014, 08:13 AM

I have an Emerald X20 and a Blackbird Lucky 13. They sound different from each other more than the X20 sounds different from the really good Taylor 612 that I used to play. All sound great though.

I spent almost two years researching before I ended up with my first CF guitar, the X20. I had to get it without first playing any Emerald and that was the hardest part. I have since compared it to good Yamahas, Gibsons, Martins, Taylors and others, and I can't say it is worse than any of them but definitely better than some. I haven't had time to compare the L13 to much yet but it's a keeper.

I never played a GX, but I would bet the sound is different from all 5 guitars that I have. I would have to play it before I could say if it was better or worse though.

FWIW, on my quest for a great guitar I budgeted enough money to buy the guitar of my dreams. I found that dream guitar in the X20. Even with both the X20 and L13 I have now I am still well under that budget. The X20 got strange looks when I first took it to show friends, but then I had a hard time prying it out of their hands once they played it.
Old 09-24-2014, 11:05 AM

Rayma - I had a similar experience, although coming from the other side - I lived in a very humid environment and eventually my neck bowed beyond repair on my Washburn. I bought a CA GX and when I finally picked it up, even though I liked it very much I didn't love it, sound wise. I spent some time experimenting with strings - strings make a huge difference on CF guitars, more so even than on wooden guitars (IMHO) - I eventually settled on John Pearse 80/20s, for me they really brought it to life. You may end up preferring something else but I would definitely recommend trying different strings.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 09-24-2014, 12:00 PM

Two things. First, my experience was that it took me a while to acclimate to the sound of my CF (Rainsong Hybrid WS). Although I liked it from the get-go, when I first got it the sound seemed "more different" (I know that's not the best way to say that, but brain is spinning in neutral right now) than it does now. Second, as others have mentioned, strings will make a significant difference.

Enjoy!
Old 09-24-2014, 12:59 PM

Default Newbie

Thanks everyone for your kinds words. It is definitely growing on me but its still different. Can't seem to bond with it when I play (don't know if that makes sense or not).

Some of you suggest experimenting with strings. Apart from Elixirs... any recommendations? I am used to PB but I have been reading about 80/20 for CF guitars.

Thoughts. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:50 PM

OF COURSE it's different! Sounds like you're still just coming to grips with the fact that it's different. Many wooden guitars would also sound "different." I gigged with a Larrivee LV-03 for years, and I love that guitar, but playing a lot of summer outdoor gigs would pose some problems with heat and humidity, so I looked into, and bought, a carbon-fiber guitar -- the same GX you apparently have -- and I love mine. Different yeah, but there are many different sounds, to me, that fall within the "I like it" category. Anyway I couldn't be happier with my GX and hope you come to like yours. As was said above, too, you might try some different types of strings -- you'll get a pretty wide range of different tones with different strings. Good luck!

Debut album Time Will Tell now available on all the usual platforms
-- visit SeanLewisMusic
Old 09-28-2014, 02:44 AM
Charter Member

Congrats, Ray, on your CA. I have the Cargo and like it a lot. Most of this has already been said, but I'll reiterate that the sound will probably grow on you. The idea of changing strings is a great one... keep trying till you find one you like. I use PBs on my Cargo, but that's just personal choice.

I bet the CA will serve you very well in Canada.
Old 09-28-2014, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayma View Post
Hi everyone, recently I suffered from severe GAS and traded my fantastic Larrivee L 05 for a Composite Acoustic GX.

Though I love the sound of my L05, over the years it has developed 3 cracks on the top (I live in Canada). They were all repaired but I guess I just got tired of checking for humidity and keeping it in a case.

I began researching on CF guitars. I weighted the pros and cons. There isn't a single dealer in town that carries CA or rain song. A few days ago, a trade option came up on craiglist, we met and I traded away my larrivee.

I read somewhere on this forum that the sound of a CA or CF (in general) will grow on you. I am hoping this is true for my case. Right now, I am not saying that it is a bad sound. I like the volume and clarity. It has bass and sustain. But it just sounds different from a wooden guitar. I just don't know whether to like it or not.

Am I just having buyer's regret? Anyone has a similar experience / encouragement? Any practical tips to improve the tone? Any one thinks that its a bad or good trade?

Thanks in advance.

Ray
It is a guitar that should grow on you but it is a different tone that takes some getting used too as with variation in any guitar. I have had a couple of GX and really like them as one of my favorites of the carbon guitars. As recommended by some others play with string types as to what gives you the sound you are comfortable with. Enjoy your new guitar!

Taylor 424ce SL
Emerald X20 purple weave
Emerald X20 gold weave
Taylor NS34ce
Taylor T5X
Composite Acoustic OX Raw (Peavey)
Rainsong OM
Breedlove Pro C25/CRH
Prestige Eclipse Spruce/Mahogany
Voyage Air VAOM-1C (2)
Baden D style Mahogany
Journey Instruments Spruce/Mahogany
Journey Instruments OF660
Recording King ROA-9 Bakersfield Limited
Mogabi 200
Old 09-28-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayma View Post

Thanks in advance.

Ray
The tone of CF guitars can be an acquired taste but if it will never sound like wood. Since it was a private trade I' guessing you are stuck so play it for a few weeks and see how you feel. BTW, other CF guitars like Rainsong and Blackbird will sound very different from your GX so don't give up on CF yet.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:21 PM
Charter Member

I bought a GX and returned it. It sounded a bit muddy to me, with much more bass than I wanted. However, I've played a lot of guitars over the years, and I can say the same for some wooden guitars. I bought a Rainsong OM from Ted/LA Guitar sales and haven't looked back. It sounds as different from a wood guitar as one wood guitar sounds from another. Maybe it has a bit of a hi-fi sound, if that makes sense. I liked it from the minute I took it out of the case, and appreciate more and more over time. If the GX doesn't do it for you, perhaps a Rainsong would be more to your liking.

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 09-28-2014, 08:03 PM

For me I guess my ears are not as developed as some, because I don't think I could tell I wasn't playing a wooden guitar if my eyes were closed. At least with the two Rainsong guitars I own. All guitars sound different, I can hear that, but to distinguish between cf and wood would be difficult on certain models. However having said that I could certainly tell a difference when playing a Cargo. Cool guitar but had a weird tone going on. Almost like a "coffee can" effect that I am guessing is a result of its size and sound hole placement. I would suggest more time with your guitar. If you still feel this way after a while then perhaps you can look into other models. For what cf guitars offer I couldn't recommend one more......good luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber