The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-24-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
Wondering what the difference in functionality is between these two that makes it advantageous to have both? We have an apple tv 3, but I guess I just thought of roku as a non apple version of the same thing.
This might help http://goo.gl/SgNKrZ
Old 10-24-2014, 12:30 PM

I find this thread fascinating in the variation and availability of services. I had internet only and my bill was right around $100/month. Add TV and the bill drops to $65 with twice the internet speed. Everything is with the same company. I'm ADDING TV to save money where others are removing it to save money.

I don't care if I have anything more than an antenna but I am a cheapskate.
Old 10-24-2014, 04:33 PM
Guest 2563

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
I find this thread fascinating in the variation and availability of services. I had internet only and my bill was right around $100/month. Add TV and the bill drops to $65 with twice the internet speed. Everything is with the same company. I'm ADDING TV to save money where others are removing it to save money.

I don't care if I have anything more than an antenna but I am a cheapskate.
Our TWC "bundle" just went up to about $180 a month and that's with basic(57 channels)TV!
Internet alone would be $100 and that's at a slower speed than what I currently have.I have no other internet options out here in the country so I'm stuck for now unless I want to get by with a slower speed.Which is looking more and more enticing BTW.

Ron
Old 10-24-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron614-CE View Post
Our TWC "bundle" just went up to about $180 a month and that's with basic(57 channels)TV!
Internet alone would be $100 and that's at a slower speed than what I currently have.I have no other internet options out here in the country so I'm stuck for now unless I want to get by with a slower speed.Which is looking more and more enticing BTW.

Ron

Yup, I live in the country too. I have a choice of one.
Old 10-24-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wengr View Post
Wondering what the difference in functionality is between these two that makes it advantageous to have both? We have an apple tv 3, but I guess I just thought of roku as a non apple version of the same thing.
The roku has more apps, but the biggest one for us is Amazon... not available on the apple TV. Roku has many more apps. It's also a bit buggier and slower than the Apple TV.

The Apple TV has the highest quality video playback IMHO... at least for "instant" video on demand, though the Apple TV usually buffers longer before playing.

Taylor 710 sunburst
Epiphone ef-500m

...a few electrics
Old 12-07-2014, 07:05 AM

Time to reanimate this awesome thread. I've been wanting to dump my cable for months. I was looking into buying a large, whole house antenna when I ran across an article that said there is no difference between the new "digital" antennas and the giant old attic antennas from the 1970's. It just so happens that I have one of those leftover behemoths in my attic. I bought a twin lead to coax adaptor at Radio Shack ($8.99) and ran some coax to an upstairs tv to test the signal. It worked great! So Friday night I called and cancelled my cable and home phone (kept my internet obviously). Saturday morning I got up and started pulling coax through the attic to my outside cable box. Basically, I wired it into the input of my outside cable box and used existing cable outlets in my walls to receive signal to three tv's. I receive 48 channels over the air for free and most are in HD. The picture is clearer than with cable because the signal is uncompressed. So I'm now saving $130 a month and couldn't be happier.

Across the Universe
Singing Land
Dear Prudence
Jolene

So you're telling me there's a chance....yyyyYYEEEAAAH!! ~Lloyd Christmas
Old 12-07-2014, 07:36 AM

We live close enough to major television stations that a ten foot piece of insulate stranded wire (20 gq ?) with about 1/2" stripped, twisted and inserted into the antenna port of the tv picks up about 20 watchable stations, in true hd with a better picture than cable or dish,,,

Try iy for yourself...

You'll need to change the source on your TV to antenna \ abd let it do an auto search,

We have not paid for cable/dish/ whatever in years,

btw, those digital antennas advertised ob TV pick up less channel thab an ordinary peice of wire, go figure,,,

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic