The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-09-2006, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison
From this thread and some research it does seem Madagascar rosewood gets a little higher praise than Cocobolo, which make me wonder why the 814ce LTD gets the Mada and the 914ceLTD gets the Cocobolo?
Because Taylor has already done 800-Series guitars in Cocobolo and doesn't want to appear as though they've run out of ideas?
Old 08-09-2006, 12:48 PM

Also, it depends on the grade of the coco used. The coco on my R Taylor is not the same grade of coco that is on my 810 ltd.

Dave Aaronson
[email protected]
Old 08-09-2006, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison
From this thread and some research it does seem Madagascar rosewood gets a little higher praise than Cocobolo, which make me wonder why the 814ce LTD gets the Mada and the 914ceLTD gets the Cocobolo?
Hey just some taste switching......
'14 Collings SJ(Wenge/German)
Old 08-09-2006, 03:43 PM

Not that I want to get mine or anyone else's knickers in a knot or for that matter gore anyone's sacred cow, but quite frankly I've never heard of Madagascar rosewood. Is the the new "wood Du jour"? Let's talk genus, species, and the all important family. For example, Ovangkol, a.k.a., Guibourtia ehie, family: Leguminosae; Indian Rosewood, a.k.a., Dalbergia latifolia, family: Leguminosae; Cocobolo, a.k.a., Dalbergia retusa, family:Leguminosae; or the 'Holy Grail of guitar woods, Bazilian Rosewood, a.k.a., Dalbergia nigra, family: Leguminosae. Anyone notice a 'theme' here? Yup, all you horticulturists and cooks out there will immediately recognize the 'family' of the Beans and Peas. So, what is the genus, species, and family of our "new favorite wood", Madagascar rosewood?

RocketBoy
Old 08-09-2006, 05:21 PM

If you never heard of Mad Rose, I don't see why its real scientific name would be useful to you
Old 08-09-2006, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Default Re: Madagascar Rosewood

http://www.alliedlutherie.com/madagascarrw.htm

Hopefully this link will help. It is interesting that Madagascar Rosewood is always higher priced than Cocobolo.
Old 08-09-2006, 07:04 PM

jhchang . . .

If you never heard of Mad Rose, I don't see why its real scientific name would be useful to you

Well to begin with, to see if we are actually talking about a wood that is in the Rosewood family. Since I had never heard of it before I like to research what it is I'm buying (or not). In the case of Madagascar Rosewood, a.k.a., Dalbergia baronii, family: Leguminosae, it is a member of the Rosewood family. So, we are talking apples and apples. As to the reason why it is more expensive than 'Cocobolo, a.k.a., Dalbergia retusa, family:Leguminosae', or some other Rosewood, is marketing. This is of course just my opinion.

RocketBoy
Old 08-09-2006, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoy
jhchang . . .

As to the reason why it is more expensive than 'Cocobolo, a.k.a., Dalbergia retusa, family:Leguminosae', or some other Rosewood, is marketing. This is of course just my opinion.

RocketBoy
In many cases I'd agree with that but when it comes to Madagascar it's my understanding that the supplies are limited and controled. At least that what I've heard
Gone
1999 Larrivee D-03
1970s Yamaha FG
Old 08-09-2006, 07:58 PM

Based upon CITES criterion, Madagascar Rosewood, a.k.a., Dalbergia baronii, family: Leguminosae, is not on their IUCN Endangered Category, however, Dalbergia davidii, known only in one locale of Madagascar (<2500 mature adults) and Dalbergia delphinensis, s.e. of Madagascar, extent of occurance <5000km2. On the otherhand both Brazilian Rosewood and Cocbolo do meet certain CITES criterion, hmmmm?

RocketBoy
Old 08-09-2006, 11:57 PM

so you think it'd be a marketing hype? Maybe, maybe not. Same as Braz. Whether you can rationalize the price or not, the price is what it is. If you think it's not worth it, you are free not to buy them. Madrose is not alone; be it luxuries like cars, jewelries, hi-end furnitures/clothes, even iPods. Do they all live up to the hyped prices? You be the judge.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:52 AM

jhchang . . . precisely! None of us need these "toys" to survive and if you have the disposable income to afford these luxury items have at it. I got into the mechnical Swiss watch thing a few years ago and I can tell you from first hand experience that market thrives on selling "sizzle not steak". With the exception of a handful of "Old Houses" the majority of Swiss watches use the same Lemania movements with various levels of fit and finish and additions of certain modules for chronographs. The truly "high-end" Swiss watch Houses, those with real horological value, are beyond the means of most of us mere mortals. I'm talking Patek Philippe, A.Lange & Sohne, Audemars Piguet, and Jaeger-LeCoultre. Many of these watches start at $15k and work there way up from there. A few years ago a Patek Philippe 1933 Calatrava sold at auction for $1.3 million! Yes folks we're talking a wrist watch. Anyway, I've always believed if you can afford a toy and it makes you feel good to own it go fo it. I just like doing my homework before taking the plunge.

RocketBoy
Old 08-10-2006, 08:15 AM

You know (and I know I said this before), what irks me is when a builder buys a wood set from his supplier for say $300 and then charges his customer a $1000 up charge. I don’t have any problem with a builder charging what ever he/she can get for labor, but don’t stick it to me with mark ups on material costs. I just think that’s tacky.
Gone
1999 Larrivee D-03
1970s Yamaha FG
Old 08-10-2006, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED C
You know (and I know I said this before), what irks me is when a builder buys a wood set from his supplier for say $300 and then charges his customer a $1000 up charge. I don’t have any problem with a builder charging what ever he/she can get for labor, but don’t stick it to me with mark ups on material costs. I just think that’s tacky.
that's always been an annoyance for me too.. and I am aware that some woods are easier to form than others, but the material costs of top woods isn't an order of magnitude more than the easy to get woods, yet the prices are an order of magnitude more.

Supply = Demand at work I guess..

Past Friends:
Taylor GS/RS
Martin D42
Martin D16R
Martin DM
Old 08-10-2006, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Ya.......I consent that's kinda ridiculous. Just checked on LMII and the highest -grade Madrose set only costs no more than 300, so I don't understand why some luthiers charge 1500.....
Old 08-10-2006, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Interesting point. I wonder what the total cost of materials is in a typical Taylor. I'd bet even the 900 series is well under $1000.

Walter

The ultimate weakness of violence is that it is a descending spiral, begetting the very thing it seeks to destroy. Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Instead of diminishing evil, it multiplies it. So it goes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion