The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-25-2017, 12:07 PM
Charter Member

Maybe it's just me and while it looks interesting, honestly I thought the sound in the video was pretty bad . It appears and sounds like they may have been using the camera mics and is recorded in an untreated cinder block room. The room itself very reverberant (and not really in a good way ) and when he maxed the reverb it was way swampy and washy and fake sounding
Hopefully they can get some better video's going.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 12-25-2017 at 12:36 PM.
Old 12-25-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Maybe it's just me and while it looks interesting, honestly I thought the sound in the video was pretty bad . It appears and sounds like they may have been using the camera mics and is recorded in an untreated cinder block room. The room itself very reverberant (and not really in a good way ) and when he maxed the reverb it was way swampy and washy and fake sounding
Hopefully they can get some better video's going.
Here's a better vid, with the sound recorded directly from the outputs:

https://youtu.be/cCy5JdGMH7A?t=10m24s
Old 12-26-2017, 10:59 AM

I like hearing micd sounds for amps. Outputs
Show the quality of the circuitry . I like hearing
What the amp will sound like live.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:27 AM

Seems like a lot of digital stuff going on (not necessarily a bad thing) ... but can you save presets or is that an impossible dream?
Old 12-26-2017, 08:01 PM

The Elite Acoustics D6-8 has ten memory slots.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
The Elite Acoustics D6-8 has ten memory slots.
Now that's a nice selling point.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PleaseAcceptMe View Post
Here's a better vid, with the sound recorded directly from the outputs:

https://youtu.be/cCy5JdGMH7A?t=10m24s
Well at least the atrocious room acoustics is gone . Very peculiar to me (given that same room appears in several video's and also using the camera mics ) and seems to be connected to the company itself and is being used as a marketing tool . I think if that is case and these are company sanctioned videos' IMO it is a major PR blunder. Given the price point, they appear to want to be marketing to relatively serious customer base, and for me as potential customer the videos are fairly off putting---- just my 2 cents

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 12-27-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Well at least the atrocious room acoustics is gone . Very peculiar to me (given that same room appears in several video's and also using the camera mics ) and seems to be connected to the company itself and is being used as a marketing tool . I think if that is case and these are company sanctioned videos' IMO it is a major PR blunder. Given the price point, they appear to want to be marketing to relatively serious customer base, and for me as potential customer the videos are fairly off putting---- just my 2 cents
100% agree. They really need a proper recording in a good room with proper mics. I'd imagine they would sell more if we had a proper demo. They should fire or retrain their PR/marketing person. Major fail. But I am still very interested in the A4-8 or a PLA if they come out with one this year.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PleaseAcceptMe View Post
Merry Christmas everyone.
I bought the A4-8, and it's great!
It looks good, it smells quality. The sound is great too in my opinion, although there's a little bit of white noise (maybe there's something to tweak, didn't have the time to look yet). My Taylor Gs Mini never sounded so good when plugged, compared to others PA and amps I had to plug it in.

Now, 40w isn't a lot BUT i played a gig with it just yesterday in a crowded pub, and it was more than enough. It wasn't even at 12 o'clock. Keep in mind that it was more of ambient music, ballads... while people where eating and talking. So i didn't need to crank it up. For bigger gigs I have an active speaker that will handle the job.
By the way the reverb is fine too. Haven't tested it outside yet and it will be crucial as I bought it also for busking.

I think you can't go wrong with this.
Did you figure out the white noise problem? How is it now that you've had more time with it? My birthday is coming soon, dont know if I should get this or a new tattoo.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotValid View Post
Did you figure out the white noise problem? How is it now that you've had more time with it? My birthday is coming soon, dont know if I should get this or a new tattoo.
Sorry for the late reply, had trouble getting logged in...

I did solve the problem, as it only appears when you put way too much reverb (mostly the preset 1, the other presets are ok). You could take it if you need a battery powered amp but if you don't need the battery feature you could find a little bit better for the price i guess (more powerful maybe), but i'm a noob in acoustic amps so I can't be sure.

I wouldn't recommend buying it before trying it as I did. I didn't look for the best sounding amp, just the more convenient and durable (not made in china) for my use. Had a little luck as the sound definitely pleases me.
Go to a local shop and try some amps to see if you can find a good one there. Or get this one and return it if you don't like it. But I personnaly think it's amazing, both for vocals and guitar.
Old 01-14-2018, 05:02 PM

I got an email telling me my D6-8 should ship next week.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:16 AM

Quote:
I got an email telling me my D6-8 should ship next week.

Keep us updated once you get it.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:12 PM

Well, the D6-8 came yesterday. Wow! It’s kind of like setting up an ideal recording session sound with a studio monitor and all the toys you need to do that, except that it’s all there in a guitar amp box that you can pick up and take anywhere! It certainly has an upper volume limit before it distorts and I was hitting it until I turned on a touch of compression. It’s by far the best vocal and guitar sound I’ve heard within its volume limits.
Old 01-21-2018, 09:12 PM

Default Elite Acoustics Engineering D6-8

A bit more on this. The D6-8 is by far the best sound I’ve ever heard in guitar amp. The sound I’m getting in my living room sounds like a great recording session with all the tools you need to make it perfect. It’s absolutely perfect at the levels you would listen to in a small room. I’ve put together a guitar preset that has a little high pass filtering, a little boost on the low end right above the high pass, a notch taking out the guitar feedback I get from boosting the lows, a touch of compression, and subtle reverb and delay. That with vocals on my condenser mic and a touch of compression and reverb. The sound is just like a home studio recording session! Just perfect.

It just has no extra oomph though. If I turn it up to the levels I would use in a noisy room live, it distorts pretty badly. It has really nice metering so it’s not a preamp thing, it’s the 40 watt (peak I believe) output amp. I still absolutely love it, but I can only see myself using it live as a monitor feeding into some sort of house PA, and even then, probably not on a gig with a noisy crowd. Personally, I am limiting myself to quiet gigs because of hearing damage, so it is a perfect fit for me. Even on larger gigs, I like to keep my stage levels low so it will be a good fit.

What is particularly cool is that it has a stereo mixer with two XLR outs. You can set up your mix, then send it to the house. There is a knob to adjust the overall level, so if you give yourself a little headroom during soundcheck, you can turn it up from the amp in the house if you need to.

Alternately, you can switch into another mode where the inputs from channels one and two go out to the house. That way, if you are doing a vocal and guitar gig, you can mix for yourself, but send the soundman raw guitar and vocals to mix as he pleases. This really is a practical system.

My only wish is that it had a little more headroom before distorting.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
A bit more on this. The D6-8 is by far the best sound I’ve ever heard in guitar amp. The sound I’m getting in my living room sounds like a great recording session with all the tools you need to make it perfect. It’s absolutely perfect at the levels you would listen to in a small room. I’ve put together a guitar preset that has a little high pass filtering, a little boost on the low end right above the high pass, a notch taking out the guitar feedback I get from boosting the lows, a touch of compression, and subtle reverb and delay. That with vocals on my condenser mic and a touch of compression and reverb. The sound is just like a home studio recording session! Just perfect.

It just has no extra oomph though. If I turn it up to the levels I would use in a noisy room live, it distorts pretty badly. It has really nice metering so it’s not a preamp thing, it’s the 40 watt (peak I believe) output amp. I still absolutely love it, but I can only see myself using it live as a monitor feeding into some sort of house PA, and even then, probably not on a gig with a noisy crowd. Personally, I am limiting myself to quiet gigs because of hearing damage, so it is a perfect fit for me. Even on larger gigs, I like to keep my stage levels low so it will be a good fit.

What is particularly cool is that it has a stereo mixer with two XLR outs. You can set up your mix, then send it to the house. There is a knob to adjust the overall level, so if you give yourself a little headroom during soundcheck, you can turn it up from the amp in the house if you need to.

Alternately, you can switch into another mode where the inputs from channels one and two go out to the house. That way, if you are doing a vocal and guitar gig, you can mix for yourself, but send the soundman raw guitar and vocals to mix as he pleases. This really is a practical system.

My only wish is that it had a little more headroom before distorting.

Hey thanks for the update. Looks like a good recording tool as well, just plug straight into a audio interface. How loud is it really? Compared to other amps? Could it cover a coffee house gig?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification