The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-27-2019, 08:47 AM

Default David Enke UST w/Schatten Design Player Preamp Experiment

I decided to try mating a David Enke-designed UST with one of Schatten Design's Player strap-jack preamps. (David Enke is the pickup creator who formerly designed pickups for Pick-up The World and currently designs pickups for Open To Source Sensors.

As it turns out, the Player preamp's input impedance (said to be in the neighborhood of 2 or 3Mohms) isn't quite high enough to get a completely full signal from the Enke UST. Some of the guitar's low end is lost, but it only takes a modest EQ fix to get a good even amplified tone.

As expected, this setup works well with ToneDexter. What surprised me, however, was how well I like using this setup with my inexpensive Behringer ADI21. Its very easy to dial in a pleasing tone with a modest mid cut and a small amount (8 o'clock setting) of the tube/mic effect.

Perhaps I'm just getting bored with ToneDexter, but I can easily imagine using the ADI21 for quick setups at open mics and showcases. I'm reminded of the old Shel Silverstein song "Beans Taste Fine". ("When you've been eating steak for a long time, beans taste fine.")
Old 11-27-2019, 09:58 PM

Interesting. I’m wondering what brought this experiment on!
Old 11-27-2019, 10:11 PM

Anytime I see a post about some hot rodded pickup and preamp combo, I know it’s gotta be Guitaniac.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 11-28-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennconducts View Post
Interesting. I’m wondering what brought this experiment on!
That particular David Enke UST had a much weaker passive output than the David Enke UST in a different guitar, for whatever reason (possibly the mechanics of the installation). I was having to crank the preamp gain way up to get a decent level and the high gain revealed some hum which I presumed was being collected by the 10' cable between pickup and preamp. I'm still hearing a small bit of hum with the onboard preamp installed, but its less hum and barely noticeable unless I'm listening for it.
Old 11-28-2019, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
Anytime I see a post about some hot rodded pickup and preamp combo, I know it’s gotta be Guitaniac.
But seriously, I'm not the Lone Ranger when it comes to pickup experimenters. There are folks on the forum who've done mix and match experiments like replacing the Element UST in the Anthem SL system with a Pure Mini.
Old 11-28-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
But seriously, I'm not the Lone Ranger when it comes to pickup experimenters. There are folks on the forum who've done mix and match experiments like replacing the Element UST in the Anthem SL system with a Pure Mini.
Don’t sell yourself short, you’ve done great Frankenstein work

I will say that, while I admire the effort, I don’t see the value of installing a K&K in an Anthem. The point of the piezo is to provide stable lows and stable lows is not what the K&K is all about. Perhaps try a Matrix or even a Mag like the Black Angel. But, I could be wrong.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 11-28-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
Don’t sell yourself short, you’ve done great Frankenstein work

I will say that, while I admire the effort, I don’t see the value of installing a K&K in an Anthem. The point of the piezo is to provide stable lows and stable lows is not what the K&K is all about. Perhaps try a Matrix or even a Mag like the Black Angel. But, I could be wrong.
I believe you're certainly correct with respect to superior feedback rejection. On the other hand, some folks may prefer the less immediate touch response of a soundboard pickup and they may not need industrial strength feedback rejection for their particular situation(s).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification