The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 08:56 PM

Hey Bruce, in the five choices that you offer, you list one as satinwood but don't remember the name. Is it Pau Amarello aka yellowheart by chance? I've been using some of it for decoration, and can agree that it is super hard, and has a great ring to it. It also has an incredibly strong smell to it when cut. The texture is beautiful, and together with the Q, I've been tempted to give it a shot. But of course it would be way out there.....I just need some encouragement.....you should give it a shot!
Old 06-27-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I have written and deleted a large paragraph here on the relative hardness of woods and failed to give you a better answer. I am trying again.

The strength to weight ratio seems like most of the equation when talking about guitar tonewoods, but there are some standouts, woods that bring a peculiar character to the party. Brazilian rosewood is an example of it, Pernambuco and Jatoba are a couple of others. And there are so hard they must be dealt with is a special way such as African Blackwood and Cocobolo. Chechen is a mainstream sounding material, hard enough to give the clarity and projection we crave but not so hard that it is peculiar sounding or required special treatment to get the desired character.

In luthier code, super hard and successful sums it up nicely!

I am not certain which finish is on #51. I first used Oil Varnish in 1969 and used it occasionally throughout my career. I also used Nitro and waterbourne in the period when I made #51. I committed to Oil Varnish in 2000, I think.
Thanks for the info Bruce, and apologies to have bothered you! Interesting information about Chechen, would love to have heard the guitar of it you had made.

The Pear back and sides looks beautiful, looks a little like the Pernambuco guitars from a while back.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerberguitars View Post
Hey Bruce, in the five choices that you offer, you list one as satinwood but don't remember the name. Is it Pau Amarello aka yellowheart by chance? I've been using some of it for decoration, and can agree that it is super hard, and has a great ring to it. It also has an incredibly strong smell to it when cut. The texture is beautiful, and together with the Q, I've been tempted to give it a shot. But of course it would be way out there.....I just need some encouragement.....you should give it a shot!
If I may: the wood Bruce is calling "NOT Ceylon satinwood" is almost certainly movingui, also sometimes called African or Nigerian satinwood for its yellow color, but not a relative of Ceylon satinwood and with a very different texture and lighter weight.

There is a good discussion of the use and misuse of "satinwood" here:
http://www.wood-database.com/wood-ar...ut-satinwoods/
Old 06-27-2014, 10:31 AM
AGF Sponsor

I believe the wood I called "Ceylon Satinwood" is actually "Movingui", as pointed out by a couple of the peers.

Pear and Pernambuco are in the same corner of the color palette, though Pernambuco is much more intense, Pear more of a pastel. Pernambuco is MUCH harder/stiffer/stronger/heavier. I twill be very interesting to hear the Pear in just a few more days. My sense is that it will be an extraordinarily pleasant guitar to play. It is a terrific drum at the moment, and I have a feeling, whatever that's worth.
Old 06-30-2014, 11:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

I strung up the Pear this morning. I will post pictures soon, probably, and may even make a clip for you. It is hard to tell you what I think of it because my credibility is too easily brought to question by my ongoing gushing of superlatives. As you know, I imagine that my guitars are each incrementally better, and I can say that this one is just more evidence of the truth of it. It makes me want to cry that I cannot communicate how much this latest piece means to me. I have so many great guitars here, and this one is the cherry (Pear) on top of the pile.

Meanwhile, there's the next one. I have made another attempt at upgrading the three ring rosette by adding some abalone to it, as per the customers specification. This top is Adirondack spruce, and if you have looked at this material much you will recognize that it is an exceptionally nice piece. And yes, it is so close to perfectly quartersawn that I do not blush calling it Mastergrade, especially as there is no hint of color or visible run out, though finish may show up a little.

FT-0-JB/2:

Old 07-01-2014, 12:29 AM

Quote:
I strung up the Pear this morning.... It makes me want to cry
That's not something I'm really sure I want to see...

Quote:
I will post pictures soon, probably
This, on the other hand, is something I'd love to see... "probably" just doesn't cut it. Please try not to ruin your camera by weeping all over it while taking shots...
Old 07-01-2014, 01:57 AM
Charter Member

Default The Journey

No matter what one does, someone who is really good at what they do wants three things: 1) evolution in their craft, 2) learning along the way and 3) some form of confirmation of advancement as a reward. The day you stop feeling that way might be the day to find something else to do that does. It is confirmation that your journey is not yet over. Moments like this are why you do what you do. Enjoy it...

I am certain that despite your own self challenge of potential bias in your own perceptions, the pear guitar is objectively excellent at worst and is more likely magnificent as you suggest. That is the benefit of having a few instruments around your shop, is you have a control or reference system. The likelihood of it being the latter scenario is far more likely in my opinion.

Now, post those pictures and clips...:-)
Old 07-01-2014, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I strung up the Pear this morning. I will post pictures soon, probably, and may even make a clip for you. It is hard to tell you what I think of it because my credibility is too easily brought to question by my ongoing gushing of superlatives. As you know, I imagine that my guitars are each incrementally better, and I can say that this one is just more evidence of the truth of it. It makes me want to cry that I cannot communicate how much this latest piece means to me. I have so many great guitars here, and this one is the cherry (Pear) on top of the pile.
I'd love to hear a video or a soundfile of the Pear guitar or be in a position to find myself in a close proximity to try the guitar in person!

The few guitars with pear b/s I've read about have all supposed to have been special, like the best maple guitars but with a little extra something.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

I'm hoping Bruce will be around the shop later this week - very interested in hearing the pear myself!
Old 07-01-2014, 07:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default The Pear

Taking the pics and getting a sound clip that doesn't embarrass me (humiliate is the right word) is quite time consuming. I didn't get much else done today, and yet I feel I was inadequate to the task. Fortunately, I don't feel that way about the guitar itself!

Here's a link to the page of pictures on my site,

A sound clip,

and a token picture:
Old 07-02-2014, 06:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

After struggling yesterday to get a clip of ThePear for you, I sat down today and did one of TheLimba in one take. Perhaps I will replace it after I listen to it tomorrow.
Old 07-02-2014, 08:05 PM

The pear looks exceptionally tasty... Bruce thanks so much for taking the time to document these builds and the finished guitars. I always enjoy seeing new posts on this thread. All the best, berf
Old 07-03-2014, 09:02 AM

Wow ...very successful .. both ..soundwise and lookswise! Congratulations! Can't really pick a favorite tonewise ... both project a nice, clean fundamental w/ a nice bloom and ring. Would be proud to own either.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:49 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Blatent Sales!

I am unprecedentedly willing to wheel and deal if anyone is considering becoming a customer of mine. I am in a unique (in the past 20 years) position in that I have no "dealer agreements" to uphold. As well as still owning several of the guitars you have watched me build here in the forum, I have a number of older instruments that have been traded back in on newer work. Some customers have viewed these older guitars as a sort of time payment plan to get the latest and greatest. That is fine for me in the long run, but right now I have too many guitars. The thing is, when you understand what it is about my guitars, you too may want to trade up, and you will find I am unusually generous regarding the value of your "starter" Sexauer guitar! I "arrived" quite a few years ago, and my older instrument are mostly quite decent, not that I haven't progressed noticeably since.

Today's News:

Old 07-03-2014, 02:38 PM

Bruce, I was going to say this thread is riveting, but I think it more accurate to say it is gripping..

With my inability to do anything other than make a mess when working with wood, I greatly enjoy threads like this..

Ensor ES (Sycamore/Lutz)
Halcyon (Flamed walnut/Engelmann)
Taylor 324ce
Taylor Baritone 6
Warwick Streamer
Eastman MD505

"I only drink coffee on days ending in 'y' "
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop