The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-02-2018, 10:10 AM

This time of year and with this special cold snap coming I expect to have quite a few jobs in the repair shop fixing cracks, already got one today. But anyway, no you cannot just inject glue and humidify. First you would humidify to close the cracks and then glue them shut. But you have a particular problem there because those cracks were already once 'repaired.' Depending on what glue was used it will either be a problem or not so much of a problem. I'd suggest you take this one to a pro to have fixed
Old 01-02-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Bob View Post
Last night I glued the cracks and now its re-hydrating in a case, hope i didn't wreck it--
I suggest that this its the wrong order. Humidify first to close the cracks as much as possible, then glue AND CLEAT. But what's done is done.
Even though I am handy guy and an amateur woodworker, I would still have gone in to a pro for this repair.
Old 01-02-2018, 10:20 AM

I used Elmer's carpenters wood glue, first I scraped the old glue out with a piece of paper corner. Don't know what the previous glue was, will take it to the repair shop tomorrow---not starting off the new year very well

1933 Gibson L-00
2007 Taylor 110
2013 Taylor GS Mini
2018 Eastman E10M
1977 Sigma DR-9
2012 Republic Miniolian
2016 Recording King ROS-G9M
Old 01-02-2018, 03:47 PM

should I try and scrape the new glue out with a razor blade? this sucks.....

1933 Gibson L-00
2007 Taylor 110
2013 Taylor GS Mini
2018 Eastman E10M
1977 Sigma DR-9
2012 Republic Miniolian
Old 01-02-2018, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
No - at this point you want things stable and tight while the glue dries. So, keep the body clamped and humidify with clamps in place. Then the wood will expand back to normal and the glue should hold.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-02-2018, 03:58 PM
Guest 1928

Quote:
If you're taking it to a repairman, don't mess with it any more. He'll know how to deal with correctly. If you're not taking it to a repairman, don't mess with it any more. You're unlikely to make it better. Lots of guitars have been played for lots of years with un-repaired cracks.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:

Leave it be.

By filling an open crack with glue, the glue fills the void and hardens. Humidifying the guitar will not close the gap since it is now filled with hardened glue.

Upon inspection, the repair person will decide whether or not to just cleat the crack - now, likely, with a hardened glue line on the interior of the crack preventing the cleat from seating until the now-hard glue is removed from the interior - or to reopen - with a saw or knife - the crack, typically widening the crack/gap. If he or she decides to re-open the crack, one option is to fill the gap with a thin splint of wood. That will then require some form of finish be applied on top of the naked splint, then levelled and, perhaps, buffed.

All in all, having "squeezed a little glue in the crack" makes the repair person's job much more difficult. Often, failed do-it-yourself repairs cost twice as much to repair as if the do-it-yourselfer didn't.

"Know thy limitations."
Old 01-02-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
... So, keep the body clamped and humidify ..
What makes you think clamps are involved??? He said he glued it and put it in its case to humidify it..............
Old 01-02-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Yates View Post
If you're taking it to a repairman, don't mess with it any more. He'll know how to deal with correctly. If you're not taking it to a repairman, don't mess with it any more. You're unlikely to make it better. Lots of guitars have been played for lots of years with un-repaired cracks.
Yeah, that's what I was trying to tell you, too, Bob. More guitars have been seriously boogered up by home "repairs" than just about anything else.

I relaxed when you wrote that you were taking the guitar to your repair tech. Had I realized that you were going to attempt to "fix it" first I wouldn't have been so sanguine.

Sigh....

whm
Old 01-02-2018, 05:27 PM

OK, I screwed it up and will stop making it worse, to the shop she goes tomorrow. Humb bug

1933 Gibson L-00
2007 Taylor 110
2013 Taylor GS Mini
2018 Eastman E10M
1977 Sigma DR-9
2012 Republic Miniolian
Old 01-02-2018, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
Leave it be.......All in all, having "squeezed a little glue in the crack" makes the repair person's job much more difficult. Often, failed do-it-yourself repairs cost twice as much to repair as if the do-it-yourselfer didn't.

"Know thy limitations."
Quote:
OK, I screwed it up and will stop making it worse, to the shop she goes tomorrow. Humb bug
Have patience, Grasshopper. Let the repair tech do his / her job, and hope that it only costs 2X what a straight unmolested repair would have been.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:11 PM

I fixed a cracked top (after re-humidifying the guitar) using one of these cleats/strips from Stewmac and a bunch of strong magnets to act as clamps. Worked great, super easy fix.
Kostal Jumbo
Taran Tirga Mhor
Gerber RL15.5
Old 01-02-2018, 07:13 PM

I had a top crack. Not coincidently from a guitar bought by mail out of Wisconsin...

Since reclosing the crack just means the same stresses are going to be there the next time it dries out, my strategy was to not even bother to fix it, tbere was no change in tonal properties.. If anything it sounded better haha.

If I did fix it.. I would fill the crack with glue while the guitar was dried out so dehumidifaction wouldnt open it up again.

I think the guitar builders could do us favors if they built the guitars under dehumified conditions and then humidified them to spec after being built. Might make for some soggy sounding guitars tho...

Last edited by Tommy_G; 01-02-2018 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 06:43 PM

That was my thoughts- glue it and let the humidity close it up, but I am no Luthier, did not use any clamps by the way. The cracks now look pretty uneven, but the guitar still sounds the same. Gonna have to wait till this weather breaks to take it in and see..........

1933 Gibson L-00
2007 Taylor 110
2013 Taylor GS Mini
2018 Eastman E10M
1977 Sigma DR-9
2012 Republic Miniolian
Old 01-03-2018, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy_G View Post
I think the guitar builders could do us favors if they built the guitars under dehumified conditions and then humidified them to spec after being built.
They already do. Most build in the 35% to 45% range of relative humidity. That isn't great for those who live in deserts and isn't great for those who live in tropical weather. It's a middle-of-the-road environment.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair