The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 07-28-2005, 11:37 AM

Default Tab, standard notation and open tunings

I’m looking for material or methodologies that may help my standard notation sight reading for common open tunings. I very rarely utilize tab, I grew up reading standard notation and am quite good at sight reading and theory. I also know the neck very well. With so many years of playing, my mind and ear, when reading standard notion, quickly (almost unconsciously) translates into putting the fingers on the right (learned by habit) stings and frets.

I picked up a book with some great songs for fingerstyle, the problem is that when reading the notation, I’m having trouble rethinking where the notes are on the guitar. My mind goes through this translation process where I have to remember a string was dropped a whole step so I need to add a whole step to where I think the note used to be. I hope this makes sense.

Anyway, it would be helpful to have books with scales (different fingering) in various open tunings. Has anyone seen something like this? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell