The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-16-2021, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Chiros have had universal success treating my neck, but only the very best of them have helped my lower back, which has a bulging disc.

My experience suggests that you look for a chiro that does electro stim and heat before adjustment and avoid the ones that get you in and out in 10 minutes.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 08-16-2021, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

I used a Chiropractor for about 3 or 4 years for lower back pain. ( sightly protruding 1-3 discs)
While it often provided some temporary relief ,, long term it really was not all that effective. Especially compared to preventative measures including not twisting while lifting and more importantly the near daily practice of several types of Yoga stretches for the back, and the correct type of abs strengthening exercises...

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 08-16-2021 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-16-2021, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

It really will depend on the source and severity of your problem as to whether any physical therapies would be beneficial and not potentially harmful. They may relieve, but certainly aren't going to fix your broken bits.

Personally, I have only had temporary relief from what I would term a good, caring chiropractor. No adverse reactions.

I have had lasting results (and avoided surgery, such as dual knee replacement in my teens) from various body issues (from what I would call misuse) through other body & movement therapies.

I've done Yoga, Feldenkrais (self movement or the hands-on Functional Integration), & RolfingŪ Structural Integration. Rolfing is an acquired taste - I enjoyed it, but the gentle movements in Feldenkrais manipulation surprisingly had as significant results without the pain of deep connective tissue work.

Given the time & money, I'd be happy to repeat Feldenkrais treatments as often as I wanted. Movement therapies can also often be targeted to achieve good body use for musical or sports performance.

There are various hybrid therapies offered, many derived from training in the above. The Alexander Technique is one probably most used by vocalists & flute players.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579
Old 08-16-2021, 09:29 AM

Just to add my pennyworth...
I have visited osteopath who helped alot He manhandled me gently and gave me good exercises which helped.
But by far the best for me is The Alexander Technique. The practioner takes you on a course of ,say, six or so lessons which develop in you correct posture and strain relieving exercises. Totally brilliant.
Nick
Old 08-16-2021, 09:38 AM

I've been to a chiropractor twice.

The first time I felt amazing after the visit. I felt very loose and limber and it felt great.

The second time I went it was before my company's summer vacation. I thought I'd go in and get tweaked for vacation. Well, I felt great for a few hours but, when I woke up the next morning, I could barely get out of bed. I spent my vacation on the couch in the den, in pain.

I'll never go to a chiropractor again...
Old 08-16-2021, 09:53 AM

I was almost debilitated by low back pain in my mid 20s and got some relief from a chiropractic clinic where I lived at the time. They didn't seem to have a good handle on my problem but made life tolerable. A year or so later I relocated and got a new chiropractor who identified my issues as mostly pelvis (and some neck). The improvement was immense. That was over 30 years ago and I still see the guy. He doesn't do extremities so he referred me to another chiropractor for my ankle and hands.

I still feel it in the low back but it will almost always be the pelvis.
Old 08-16-2021, 07:51 PM

My SO is a Chiropractor and she is the first to say they are not all created equally. The different schools teach different adjustment techniques and even then not all come out with the same skills.

We have been together going on 13 years and I know of only 3 Chiropractors she will let work on her. As for me, she has fixed my long suffering neck pain from work related stress from every 10 days not being able to move my neck to now once every 5-6 months it happens. She has made me a believer (in her at least).

Speaking of being a believer, I had "I'm a Believer" stuck in my head the other day and could not stop singing it, she looked at me and begged me to stop, I thought she was kidding...then I saw her face.
Old 08-16-2021, 08:42 PM

All I know about this topic is that my insurance policy specifically states that it does not cover chiropractic or any other pseudoscience practitioners.
Old 08-17-2021, 01:10 PM
Charter Member

I've had a long-standing lower back pain and tried numerous sources of relief with varied degrees of success. I think the best chiropractors stay in their own lane and provide services based on their level of training. The worst use their degrees as a way to sell expensive alternative treatments that may be outside their level of training.

I recall a story that my once regular chiropractor told me. A middle-aged woman was also a regular patient of his, but after several sessions she failed to get any relief. She finally said to him, "Do you think I should see a real doctor?" Similarly, when I got relief from my back pains after a number of chiropractic sessions, I often wondered if I would have felt the same relief in the same period of time had I not received chiropractic care...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 08-17-2021 at 01:43 PM.
Old 08-17-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I've had a long-standing lower back pain and tried numerous sources of relief with varied degrees of success. I think the best chiropractors stay in their own lane and provide services based on their level of training. The worst use their degrees as a way to sell expensive alternative treatments that may be outside their level of training.

Can't agree with this enough...the good ones are worth their weight in gold...the bad ones are terrible. I only use one, and he was a PT before going into Chiro...does x-rays, MRI's before any treatment, to see the foundation of the problem...refers when he thinks he can't help, and is more than willing to admit it....
Old 08-17-2021, 04:39 PM

I have been going to chiropractors for 20 years. I had back problems long before that, and got xrays and PT, where I learned a slew of stretches and core strengthening. I did(do) them every morning religiously, but still had nagging back pain. Some years later I developed serious neck pain that no Doc or PT could resolve. In desperation I went to a chiropractor, took her all my xrays and doc reports. Neck pain was gone in 2 visits, AND, the back pain went away. I go about once a month now and fell worse when I delay the adjustments.

Obviously, I'm presenting a positive viewpoint, AND, I have insurance to help defray the cost, but obviously if you can get a referral, or my chiropractor recommended checking Yelp for opinions, I say it is worth a try..

I find a massage helps take the stress out of the muscles, also good done regularly. Also, accupuncture helps.

Good luck...

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 08-17-2021, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
All I know about this topic is that my insurance policy specifically states that it does not cover chiropractic or any other pseudoscience practitioners.
I'm sure the word pseudo science is not in your insurance policy. Most insurance companies do cover chiropractic and acupuncture as both modalities are cheaper in the long run to the insurance company than surgery and other medical techniques.

If it was pseudo science, why do so many people (myself included) continue to use them? Because they work. If they don't work, don't use them, very simple.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 08-17-2021, 07:31 PM

Thanks folks for all of the wisdom and advice. For now, I am scheduled for acupuncture tomorrow and will reassess after that. I realize full well that acupuncture will not be a complete answer for my issues, but see it as a low risk option that might be helpful in at least providing some relief until I decide which course of action to pursue.

One big issue I have with many health care professionals is their temptation to diagnose patient problems via scanning technology - X-ray, CT, and MRI. Given that many people have undiagnosed - and asymptomatic - abnormalities on scans, particularly those of us post 65, I want someone to first ascertain the most likely cause of my problem based on a careful, thorough history, combined with an equally detailed clinical assessment of those movements that elicit or ease my symptoms. Once a working diagnosis has been attained, I am all for using scanning technology to corroborate what is being seen clinically with that which is being seen on X-ray or MRI, and then tailoring a treatment plan based on that information.

I am also realistic as far as my expectations, understanding that the potential for 100% cure is quite unlikely. To be sure, I would be thrilled with a 50% reduction in symptoms while eliminating the feeling that I'm always walking through a minefield with my back where it could go off at any moment without apparent reason. As well, even though I exercise daily, maintain a normal body weight for my age, and don't smoke, I'm not averse to complying with additional long term solutions that involve more daily exercise and strengthening routines if there is the potential for it to help me.

We'll see. Hopefully it is not a long and winding road.
Old 08-17-2021, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
I'm sure the word pseudo science is not in your insurance policy. Most insurance companies do cover chiropractic and acupuncture as both modalities are cheaper in the long run to the insurance company than surgery and other medical techniques.

If it was pseudo science, why do so many people (myself included) continue to use them? Because they work. If they don't work, don't use them, very simple.
You're right..the words pseudo science are not in my insurance policy...but only because you've misspelled the term...twice.

My policy, however states that it does not cover "chiropractic or any other pseudoscience practitioners."

I have no idea what your insurance policies state, and I certainly wouldn't presume to tell you that I'm sure you're wrong or lying if you state what it does and doesn't cover.

If you believe chiropractic works for you, good for you...

Last edited by Denny B; 08-17-2021 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-17-2021, 08:58 PM

Pseudo Science is just an insult pure and simple. My SO went to 3 1/2 years straight of graduate school with no summer breaks...and insurance covers it so I don't know what you're talking about.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic