The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-28-2019, 10:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbliatout View Post
Got word it was finished today! Should be shipped tomorrow! I wonder if it'll show up on a shipping video.
That is impressive: an initial post from October... and zero angst in the interim in this thread! Well played. Hope your new nylon X20 shows up on a shipping video AND gets to you expeditiously!
Old 03-28-2019, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Yay, congratulations!
Taylor Custom Grand Concert Master Grade koa, Taylor K22ce 12-fret AA koa, Emerald X7 "Kauai" (custom painted artwork), Grimes Hapa nylon, Benedetto Andy, Kanile'a GL6 Guitalele, Moore Bettah and KoAloha custom ukuleles, Rob Allen Mouse koa bass
Old 03-29-2019, 09:19 AM
Guest 928

Does the 20 have a cut-a-way?
Old 03-29-2019, 10:28 AM

I'd be really interested in hearing a good recording of this guitar.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 03-29-2019, 11:57 AM

You guys aren't helping my nylon itch! There seemed to be an increase in nylons going out in their recent shipping videos.
Old 03-29-2019, 05:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Does the 20 have a cut-a-way?
I've been pondering this question all day.

Ok, things are a little slow around here - but, Evan, have you ever seen an X20 *without* a cutaway?

Or, am I, as a somewhat humour-impaired person, missing something in the query?
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 03-29-2019, 07:37 PM
AGF Owner & Founder

Congrats on the new nylon! Can't wait to see it. What is the scale length of your guitar? I was thinking about a nylon X-20 but was wondering about going shorter scale.

JR
Old 03-29-2019, 08:10 PM

@jdinco (an others who want to hear a recording): You don't want to hear my playing, believe me *laugh*, but I'll select an easier tune I can play without messing it up too badly and upload it. I don't have great recording equipment, I've a Rode NT1-A and a Fender Acoustasonic 90 with a 3.5mm output I can plug into the back of my computer, that's all. Gotta wait until it shows up though.

@Captain Jim: It's been a hard wait, but I'm a positive person. Good things take time...just like good playing does *laugh*.

@EvanB: I didn't ask for a non-cutaway, so I sure hope there is a cutaway. I can't confirm though, as while I was informed it'd be shipped Friday, it wasn't on the upper rack that Alistair presented this morning (I noticed a nylon on the lower rack though, which might be mine?). Pretty sure there's a cutaway :-)

@GuitarLuva: Get a Nylon :-). You'll like it. It's not as crystal clear and bell-like as steel strings can be, but with much less strength I'm able to vary my intonation to a much greater degree. It doesn't replace a steel string by any means, but I really do enjoy playing a nylon string when precise and delicate notes are my goal, and a steel string more so when I'm just punching out chords for others to sing along to.

@J.R. Rodgers: Scale length should be standards (650 mm). I have wondered myself about a short scale, but my current classical is very comfortable and I'd 650 mm. And while not huge, I'm not in the shorter side either (6'-1"), so the reach isn't an issue.
Old 03-29-2019, 08:37 PM
Charter Member

I've never seen anyone on here judge another's playing btblitout, and I'm not in the position to judge anyone on anything. LOL I listen to the tone of the guitar, no matter what or how you are playing. Thanks for taking the time to do that !!
Old 03-29-2019, 09:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
I've never seen anyone on here judge another's playing btblitout, and I'm not in the position to judge anyone on anything. LOL I listen to the tone of the guitar, no matter what or how you are playing. Thanks for taking the time to do that !!
If there were a playing "threshold" we had to surpass, I would have never been allowed on this forum.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:28 AM
Guest 928

Eatswodo;

No, I've never seen an X20 without the cut-a-way. But I keep expecting some player to order one.

The reason for my curiosity is that while I really like the Cut-A-Way I feel that it diminishes projection and changes tonal qualities. I've opted for the higher fret reach of the C-A-W and been willing to accept the fact that, in my estimation, none of the CF nylon string instruments match the acoustic projection and tone of a good classical wood guitar.

Fret reach is just one reason I've pursued nylon strung CF instruments with a cut-a-way. When I was running through wooden guitars I found that the finer the guitar the greater the maintenance and risk. Also, wooden nylons tend to require a lot of tuning because the wood changes as well as the strings--with CF I don't have to tune as often. And, of course, the ergonomic feature of CF is a big factor in its appeal.

I think that CF has reached the point where it can compete with a good classical guitar. The Blackbird Rider comes close. It may be the case that a hybrid cut-a-way nylon string may not be capable of competing with the acoustic projection and tone of a good wooden instrument.

That said, I should also add that my CF nylons have given me what is necessary and what is sufficient in terms of projection and tone. Add electronics and the CF nylons are about as good as it gets.
Old 03-30-2019, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
No, I've never seen an X20 without the cut-a-way. But I keep expecting some player to order one.
Hmm. It would be interesting to see if Emerald would oblige. I suspect the cost of a new mould would be a challenge.

Quote:
The reason for my curiosity is that while I really like the Cut-A-Way I feel that it diminishes projection and changes tonal qualities.
A subject often discussed in the wooden guitar circles. It seems that folks are pretty evenly divided on the subject; some say that the portion of the soundboard and the body involved in the cutaway (either by its presence or absence) is insignificant, others say it's material.

Of course, with a wooden guitar, it's impossible to say that that single factor is responsible for sound changes, as it's impossible to build two absolutely identical guitars in the first place - so the premise cannot be proven.

Interestingly, a pair of CF guitars, one with a cutaway and one without, would probably come closer to only having that single difference than any pair of conventionally-made instruments could.
Cordoba Stage

Last edited by David Eastwood; 03-30-2019 at 02:49 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 03-30-2019, 03:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Hmm. It would be interesting to see if Emerald would oblige. I suspect the cost of a new mould would be a challenge.

All it takes is money. Oh, and patience.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btbliatout View Post
@GuitarLuva: Get a Nylon :-). You'll like it. It's not as crystal clear and bell-like as steel strings can be, but with much less strength I'm able to vary my intonation to a much greater degree. It doesn't replace a steel string by any means, but I really do enjoy playing a nylon string when precise and delicate notes are my goal, and a steel string more so when I'm just punching out chords for others to sing along to.
You need to go and hide...my wife is extremely mad at you and she might go looking!

You're right though I'm facing the inevitable. I want to add a nylon to my lineup just pondering the cost of a carbon fiber version vs a cheaper wooden one. Can anyone comment on the tonal differences of an Emerald nylon vs a traditional nylon?
Old 03-30-2019, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarLuva View Post
I want to add a nylon to my lineup just pondering the cost of a carbon fiber version vs a cheaper wooden one. Can anyone comment on the tonal differences of an Emerald nylon vs a traditional nylon?
I'm sure others will be able to comment on the tonal differences, but what may be more important are the physical differences. If you've never played a nylon-strung guitar before, you might want to spend some time with one before committing to an expensive CF instrument.
Cordoba Stage

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber