The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-19-2013, 03:20 PM

Question Fingerstyle strumming sound?

What do you call that technique wherein you make a strumming sound when playing fingerstyle?

Usually you just pluck one or two melody notes together with the bass note all at the same time right?

But there are some parts in the song that I'm trying to play wherein it seems that it requires the melody notes to be plucked one after the other in quick succession, thereby giving off a sound that make melody notes appear to be strummed. I'm actually having a hard time pulling this off. Does this technique have a name?
Old 06-20-2013, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Does this technique have a name?
Rolling a chord.
I think the name comes from the motion of the picking hand.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locobolo View Post
What do you call that technique wherein you make a strumming sound when playing fingerstyle?

Does this technique have a name?
I know what you mean although I've never really had a name connected to it. Rolling the chord is probably better than the 'arpeggiated chord' which I would have used to describe it.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:53 AM

Never knew it had a name.

I can do it but always imitated the sound but not actually how they do it.
I play differntly but get same results and wasn't hard to learn so try do it by ear.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:00 AM

Default Fingerstyle strumming sound?

It is called rolling the chord... Usually u start with the thumb strumming the root note and then sequentially strum the remaining strings with index, middle, and ring fingers...

Try it by shaping a simple b7 chord and roll through the 5,3,2,1 strings... Beautiful...

Bryan

Francisco Navarro Concert Classical
Francisco Navarro Student Flamenco
Eastman AC708 Sunburst
Seagull S6
Cordoba C-5
Fender Strat MIM
Old 06-20-2013, 09:07 AM

According to "Foden's Grand Method for Guitar" (copyright MCMXX), what you are describing would either be a "rolled" or an "arpeggioed" chord.

"Chords with a wavy line before them are rolled or arpeggioged: that is, beginning with the lowest note they are played one after another with great rapidity and produces an effect quite different from that of striking them all at once - and one that is of frequent occurrence and utmost importance in playing the Guitar. The striking thumb and fingers are first placed on the strings to be struck and then rolled off in succession. Chords thus played are also called wave chords."

This is unlike the Rasgado or Thumb Slide which, according to Foden, "should be introduced with taste and judgement: not indiscriminately. It is indicated by a curved line placed before the notes."

Foden further notes, "A wavy line with a cross at either end, or a line placed through a chord, formerly used to indicate the Rasgado, is now discontinued. The speed with which the Rasgado chords are to be played will depend on the character of the piece and the effect desired."

"Sometimes in rapid arpeggio passages, the right forefinger is used in connection with the thumb by drawing it back over all the strings: from the highest to the lowest, producing an inverted arpeggio. Another and perhaps smoother way of playing similar passages, is to strike the covered strings with the thumb, and the treble strings each with a finger, and as the third finger touches the highest string, it is immediately drawn back over all the others, to the lowest note of the chord."
Old 06-20-2013, 09:15 AM

Ah finally there's a name to it and I can research more about it.

So it just really like plucking the chord strings from lowest to highest but in rapid succession.

Maybe the reason why I was having some difficulty was that after hitting the bass note, I was trying to pluck from the highest melody note to the lowest.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write