The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-15-2013, 06:29 PM

Default Gypsy Jazz/Django style

Ok, So my musical journey has taken me to Fingerstyle blues and Jazz standards and I've been dabbling in percussive for the last two years. And now, I'm really moved by Gypsy Jazz. I'm looking for a course I can go through in 3 months or so that would give me 3-4 good gypsy standards and would be fairly systematic in terms of giving me some "hook" for the theory. Any recommendations?
1950s Martin Baritone Uke
A prototype of something you're likely to drool over.

9 yr old boy learning drums, 5 yr old girl who likes to groove with the beat, a music-loving toddler, 1 patient and amazing wife.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:06 AM

It's a great style and there are scores of wonderful players. These days there are loads of great books, DVDs, and online courses. Get yourself over to djangobooks.com and check out the forum. You'll uncover all the direction you need there, I'm sure.

Kind regards
Derek

My acoustics:
  • Tanglewood TW-60
  • Manouche 'Moreno' Modele Jazz
  • 2006 Martin 000-15
  • Tanglewood TW-40
  • Furch D32-SM
  • Michael Messer Lightning
Old 06-16-2013, 03:43 AM

It all begins with Django, of course, and transcribing a few original Hot Club tracks would be my recommendation.
Get the melodies under your fingers to begin with - most are pretty simple, and the chords are too. Django's solos are pretty fiendish of course, but they all spring from that simple foundation.

I certainly see no point in learning from any Django copyists or interpreters, however good they are. Gypsy jazz is unique as a style in that it all springs from one original artist (the first European gypsy to play jazz). The fact that his recordings are available means you need nothing else, except transcriptions of them. They are the Bible - accept no substitute . (Why copy a copyist when you can copy the original? Make your own interpretation.)

The only film of the Hot Club:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fc3hffDNr8
Django's section begins at 2:25- and his solo is at 4:38.

BTW, there is no need to limit yourself to 2 fingers .
Old 06-16-2013, 10:23 AM

I can't help you with the Django stuff, but looking at your general interest you may be interested in the Ragtime & Early Jazz - 1900-1935 (Jazz Bible Fake Book Series) by Hal Leonard press.

I believe it's out of print, but I found it used a couple years ago for $5. Just a hoot. A quick google search shows them for $21 as the lowest price available on amazon used.
Old 06-16-2013, 07:28 PM

You might want to look at the Michael Horowitz's djangobooks.com web site and and forum. It's a great resource for the fans of Gypsy Jazz.

Regards,
Vlad
Old 06-18-2013, 11:26 PM

I agree, start with Django transcriptions.

This style is great cross training for guitarists of any style.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:32 PM

Default Gypsy Jazz/Django style

Try Jamey Aebersold Django playalong book/cd
Stan Ayeroff's book of Django transcriptions is excellent too. Good luck and have fun

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write