The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-19-2008, 10:17 AM

The K&K is great for a solo performing artist. Don't even consider it for a band setting because of the feedback issues.
Custom MJ (Cedar & African Blackwood)
Eastman E40 OM
Taylor 816ce Builder's Edition
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Taylor T5 Koa

“The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time.” –James Taylor
Old 08-19-2008, 11:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschroeder View Post
The K&K is great for a solo performing artist. Don't even consider it for a band setting because of the feedback issues.
Hi as...
Really? Does that mean I have to stop playing mine in our band? Been playing it for 4 years in a fairly aggressive rock band situation without feedback issues so far.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-19-2008, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi as...
Really? Does that mean I have to stop playing mine in our band? Been playing it for 4 years in a fairly aggressive rock band situation without feedback issues so far.
If I remember correctly, you don't have guitar coming back at you through a floor monitor do you? I find I can get away with a lot more as far as feedback if I don't have to use a floor monitor and can have the mains behind me and to the side a bit.

Takamine EAN15C w/ Palathetic pickup system and CT4B onboard preamp
Takamine GN93CE w/ TK-40 preamp
RainSong DR1000 w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Rainsong JM3000 12 string jumbo w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Yamaha FG345 w/ Fishman Matrix II

www.donohoeandgrimes.com
Old 08-19-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
I installed a K&K in a Martin OMC-28LJ a couple years ago after hearing all the kudos the pickup was receiving. To be honest, it sounded horrible to me. Way too boomy. Made the guitar sound like a cardboard box. Out it went to be replaced with a Fishman Ellipse Blender. Wasn't too pleased with that either...

I like the sonic characteristics of the Baggs iBeam, but they are way too sensitive to feedback issues. I want to like the Fishman Blender, but the mic is horrible and I don't care for the sound of a piezo UST. I'm thinking the B-Band solution may be worth a try.
__________________________________________________ ________________

Which B-band P/U are you considering? I've used A1.2, A1.2N and A2.2. The A2.2 blender is the best sounding and most feedback resistant. I havent needed to use feedback busters with it even at very high volumes and it sounds very natural. Minimal EQ'ing to get great tone is another plus. I too found the K&K solo to be rather boxy sounding. In fairness I tried many EQ settings including dialing out the midrange. When comparing it to a B-band A1.2N-1470 AST SBT pickup that I also installed at the same time I thought the B-band pickup sounded far better and needed minimal EQ'ing. As with the I-beam (and potentially the K&K PW) the A1.2N can suffer feedback problems too, so IMO the A1.2N is not too great for live situations (at least not without a feedback buster which greatly takes away from the tone). I highly recommend the A2.2. I've used it in a couple of very bassy dreads and find nothing resembling feedback in any of them (even with floor monitors pointed at my guitar). It's a very solid performer IMO.....
Old 08-19-2008, 01:06 PM
Charter Member

I love pickup threads and I have learned so much from these. In fact, partly based on all the love for the K&K Minis here on the AGF, I installed them in two of my guitars as a second source (on the ring of a stereo jack) with a Sunrise magnetic sound hole pickup on the tip.

I can't go so far as to say I am disappointed in the K&K Minis but after all the glowing reviews I read here, they didn't live up to my expectations. They can blend very nicely with the Sunrise and give me some good body sound in quieter settings but I have struggled a bit with them in bigger venues that required more volume. I have found a way around this and I am not sorry I installed them but they certainly would not be my first choice as a stand alone pickup.

This is of course all based on my individual playing style, my venues and my signal chain. It sounds like for a lot of people, the K&K Minis have been perfectly suited to what they and where/how they do it.

I think those are three factors (playing style, venues and signal chain) that should play a huge part in selecting a pickup (or pickups.) What is perfect for one person isn't necessarily perfect for others.

Matt
Old 08-19-2008, 01:34 PM
Cocobologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66strummer View Post
Which B-band P/U are you considering? I've used A1.2, A1.2N and A2.2. The A2.2 blender is the best sounding and most feedback resistant. <snip>....
Thanks for the advice on the B-Band model. I'm really not familiar with their product, but will certainly look into the A2.2.

I'm normally a Taylor ES guy. Contrary to the issues discussed by other members, I've not had a single problem with it and I've got versions from the first in 2003 to the current 9v system. I will admit that the latest iteration sounds superior to the earlier ones, though. They sound great through the Bose system and I ease of the controls...

Anyway...

I just picked up a 1991 Taylor 615 that sounds fantastic and extrememly gig-worthy, but not worth the investment of a retrofit ES. I've tried the standard fair Fishman/Baggs/K&K offerings, but each have their issues. I'd prefer to stay away from UST's as I feel they steal acoustic tone from the guitar since they are installed between the bridge and the saddle, and I've not been happy with the piezo tone of these pickups in the past. Hence, the look for a SBT or mag design that maintains audio quality while minimizing feedback issues.

Thanks again for the insight. We now return you to the OP's topic -- Sorry for the hijack...

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...
Old 08-19-2008, 02:02 PM

No apologies necessary. Best of luck w/ your decision on the new Taylor. Here's a link to some B-band info, as well as an excellent guy to buy B-Band and LR Baggs acoustic pickups from.

http://www.guitarsaddles.com/bband.asp
Old 08-21-2008, 01:28 AM

am i right to say that RW has a more "metallic" signature than say mahog?

I thought I read about that somewhere..

I just installed a PWM on my GS8 and to my surprise it sounded "metallic" to me whereas on my prev mahog back guitar.. it did sound alot more woody.

Is it really just the sound signature of the woods or did I install something wrongly on the K&K?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=866131

here are some flat eq recordings of the GS8 with the PWM.. i do hope there's nothing wrong with my installation.. it's glued on!!
Old 08-21-2008, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hann View Post
Not to divert the thread, but perhaps thats what I'm hearing ( as an expression of taste, again to each his own ) and why I have not acquired a rosewood guitar ( at least not yet )

P.S. I like the K&K that I have installed in a mahogany (back and sides) guitar.

"Let's lute the city", said the minstrels.

Oftentimes the only result I get from a thought experiment is a messed up lab.

Last edited by astrummer; 08-21-2008 at 05:52 AM.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:14 AM

hmmm i'd have to try it out with my church system to be sure.. recording direct into a mac doesn't help much..
Old 08-21-2008, 12:26 PM

Quote:

I thought I read about that somewhere..

I just installed a PWM on my GS8 and to my surprise it sounded "metallic" to me whereas on my prev mahog back guitar.. it did sound alot more woody.

Is it really just the sound signature of the woods or did I install something wrongly on the K&K?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=866131

here are some flat eq recordings of the GS8 with the PWM.. i do hope there's nothing wrong with my installation.. it's glued on!!
__________________________________________________ ______________

Check to make sure that NONE of the transducers is right next to a string ball (almost touching one or even right up against one). This is something I absolutely HATE about the Pure Westerns.......the fact that they have to be glued in. If you dont like how they sound, have fun removing them. At least the PW full-size has that foil you can glue the transducers to and thus just peel the foil and 3 transducers out of your guitar with it. On the mini you will end up ruining the pickup more than likely trying to remove them from the underside bridge plate.

As far as rosewood sounding "metallic", hmmm.......I have a couple RW guitars with pickups in them. There is a certain very deep heavy sound you can hear that does sort-of remind you of a metallic sound BUT it's not a tinny unpleasant sound. Is the sound you mentioned tinny and/or scratchy? I couldnt play that soundfile you posted.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:30 PM

hmm i use the mini so i'm quite sure they're not near the ball ends or at least not nearer than the average length... it's definitely not anything harsh..

oh nah it's not tinny or scratchy.. just reminds me somewhat of a magnetic pickup... it is still deep and warm.

But i guess i'll have to plug it into a proper system first before I can condemn it..
Old 08-21-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrummer View Post
Not to divert the thread, but perhaps thats what I'm hearing ( as an expression of taste, again to each his own ) and why I have not acquired a rosewood guitar ( at least not yet )

P.S. I like the K&K that I have installed in a mahogany (back and sides) guitar.

To me, the metallic sound described by some in a good rosewood B/S guitar is a deep heavy sound (maybe a bit cowbell-like). It's not an unpleasant sound at all to my ears. My B-band pickups capture it very realistically, which is why I recommend the A2.2 over some of the others.

Last edited by 66strummer; 08-21-2008 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
hmm i use the mini so i'm quite sure they're not near the ball ends or at least not nearer than the average length... it's definitely not anything harsh..

oh nah it's not tinny or scratchy.. just reminds me somewhat of a magnetic pickup... it is still deep and warm.

But i guess i'll have to plug it into a proper system first before I can condemn it..

SORRY. I meant to mention this: Take a small inspection mirror (and flashlight of course) and check your placement of the transducers if you have any doubts. Your placement is probably fine. I always triple check placement on SBTs with a mirror. You dont even have to remove strings to do this if you have a mirror with a skinny handle on it. I own a few of them (dollar store)....

Last edited by 66strummer; 08-21-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:26 PM

I'm not all that sold on my K&K.

I had a PUTW Dynamic Trio that got damaged. While it was working, I ran it through a Baggs Gigpro into my Ultrasound amp. Incredibly natural and articulate. At lower amp volumes, you almost couldn't tell that is was plugged in (Not because of volume, but because of the accuracy.). Unfortunately, the PUTW had almost no signal without the Gigpro. Not always convenient.

After I took out the damaged PUTW, I decided to try the K&K, especially after all the rave reviews online. It does have more signal, but I am underwhelmed by the sound. It is not as articulate, natural, or balanced as the PUTW. It is almost metallic sounding, as has been described by others here. I also feel like I made a mistake by buying it without intending to buy the K&K pre-amp.

Next time, I will buy a pick-up that is durable, provides more gain than the PUTW, and is less demanding of specific hardware than the K&K. Oh, and I want it to sound great too.

I know that others get great results from K&K, and I'm not trying to step on anybody's toes. I play guitar for fun. Simplicity is best. If I want to plug in anywhere spontaneously, I just want it to sound good without a lot of fuss and special equipment. (I know that I'm being redundant, but when I'm making a point, I never feel like I can say it enough.)

As much as I don't like the idea of batteries and a pre-amp in my guitar, I may end up going that way next time.

opencee

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification