The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-04-2019, 01:47 PM

Default What are differance between Opus and Artisan

It seems like Artisan replaced Opus for Emerald, What are the main differences in like an X20 Opus to Artisan.

Kronbauer DRN Adi/HOG
Kronbauer DRN Adi/RW
Taylor 510 Limited 2003
Taylor 320e Limited Baritone 2014
RainSong Shorty SS 12fret
RainSong CO-DR1000NT
Mainland Ceder/RW tenor Uke.
Outdoor tenor Uke
Heywire Custom Swamp ash Strat
Old 04-04-2019, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by revj View Post
It seems like Artisan replaced Opus for Emerald, What are the main differences in like an X20 Opus to Artisan.
Before the introduction of the new models at the end of May last year, the Opus was available only in black and had the Crystal Ice back and sides; no pickup (although one could be added); came with a gig bag instead of a Hiscox Lite Flight case.

The Artisan gave you color options (or you could add a wood veneer for additional cost), all glossy; a pickup was standard; and it came with the Hiscox case.

Tone-wise, they are the same. These days, the Opus is no longer in the line-up. When I ordered an X10 last year, I requested the Crystal Ice on the back and sides (no upcharge, but no reduction in price, either), and a gig bag instead of the Hiscox case. You can order an X20 without a pick up, if you want (with a price reduction).

The Artisan is the base model in each line currently. Pick your color. (I have to admit that I am quite fond of the red). You can upgrade the pickup to an Anthem or omit the pu entirely. Choose to go with the Hiscox case (a very nice case, btw - I like them better than a heavy, tolex covered, wood case) or opt for a gig bag... or both.
Old 04-04-2019, 03:32 PM

The only thing I can add is a comment from Alistair made shortly after the Opus models went away last year. The vast majority of orders (like 90%) were for the Artisan versions, with Opus mostly covering the "in stock for immediate shipment" demand. They try to always keep a few Artisans in stock now to meet that need. Delete the pickup and hard case and the overall price is comparable to the old Opus models, although you might have to wait on the no electronics version. Pickups are the standard build.

I generally prefer gig bags for guitars that remain in my custody, but those Hiscox hard cases are quite nice. I now have three of them -- two X20 cases and one X30 case -- but will choose Emerald gig bags for any additional purchases.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber