The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-14-2013, 01:43 PM

Default Wo is Plectrum ... how do you hold your pic ?

Couple of days ago, as I got looking at a u tube lesson, I found out that my pic holding position was not the recommended... So, I tried the recommended holding position.

This is really hard... my fingers feel totally weird.

Most of the u tube instructors [ I checked a few ] us a fist method, where the pic tip is at a ninety degree direction from the thumb tip .. the strum/pic hand stays in a sort of fist, no resting on the fingers on the pic guard..

I've been working on this for a couple of days..

What is your pic holding method? Why? Do you use the fist approach, no fingers on the pic guard?

Thanks....
Taylor 414ce "Baby T"

Last edited by jasperguitar; 06-14-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:43 PM

About like that. I curl my index finger into a platform, lay the pick on and bring my thumb down for pressure. The tip would be at about 90 degrees to the thumb tip. I don't make a fist but let non-grip fingers loosely curl. Expose about 1/8" or so of tip. When I play, I try to set up so the pick is hitting the strings at around 45 degrees-60 degrees, don't want the flat edge to hit the string as you get most of the noise from that.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
About like that. I curl my index finger into a platform, lay the pick on and bring my thumb down for pressure. The tip would be at about 90 degrees to the thumb tip. I don't make a fist but let non-grip fingers loosely curl. Expose about 1/8" or so of tip. When I play, I try to set up so the pick is hitting the strings at around 45 degrees-60 degrees, don't want the flat edge to hit the string as you get most of the noise from that.
About the same. I like to squeal the B and E strings once in awhile so I choke down on it quite a bit so I can damp with my index finger. I play acoustic with a pick much the same as I pick electric.

Blues
Old 06-15-2013, 05:53 AM

I have always pinched the pick like you would pinch a bit of salt. However, over the last few months I have started holding it the most popular way. It took me a while but now i prefer the popular way because I can grip it more firmly so I can strum harder, it feels nicer and is more fun. This method is harder for solos but I don't like playing solos so it's fine. I have also recently switched from regular .6mm picks to the softer DADJ nylon .6mm picks. This new pick allows me to strum hard without the strings moving with a huge amplitude.

The popular hold also allows to keep the correct rhythm going a little more easily, as more movement comes from the lower arm and wrist.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:15 AM

I was self-taught, so have always held the pick in the "wrong" way: between tips of thumb, index and middle, something like holding a pen.
Mostly it's between thumb and middle, with index supporting the front edge (touching the top curve).

I have occasionally tried the "correct" way. It feels very clumsy and awkward to me, which is of course because I'm so used to my way. I have noticed, however, that scale and lead playing can be faster using that grip, because the hand movement is more minimal. The problem is I find it much more awkward strumming with that grip, because my knuckles seem dangerously close to the strings.
Also, the "correct" grip doesn't give me as much control over pick angle or attack as mine does. My 3-finger grip allows a lot of flexibility of angle and pressure. (Of course that's not why I chose it: I just held it how it felt most natural.)

So I know my grip has a downside (no shredding for me ), but I also feel the recommended one is too fixed. (But I'd accept that's only because I've never sat down and properly practised with it for long enough.)

I'm also encouraged by the fact this guy holds it the same way I do (most of the time if not always):

(Pat Metheny)

If you want to get real anal about it, the most comprehensive essay I've seen on pick technique is this:
http://www.tuckandpatti.com/pick-finger_tech.html
He recommends George Benson's variation, which is something like Metheny's - and also close to the one I arrived at intuively, 47 years ago. (Unfortunately it doesn't make me play like Metheny or Benson .)

Last edited by JonPR; 06-15-2013 at 06:23 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:09 PM

What I'm discovering it the "recommended way" is a stronger hold.. I attack the strings with more force ... and, I keep my hand sort of rolled up into a ball.. which keeps my guide finger off the pick guard.. I'm going to stay with this for a few days ... and see where it goes..

It is so weird to change something so simple... after holding the pick another way ..
Taylor 414ce "Baby T"

Old 06-15-2013, 08:19 PM

I don't think there is a "correct" way. The thumb over curled finger is actually kind of recent as it facilitates a strong stroke and high degree of control that became more useful as modern flatpicking evolved in the 60's and 70's.

The grip with the pick tip almost coming from the tip of the index I think is an older grip. See a lot of jazz players use it among others. Lot of electric players use it as well. Both come with their own set of benefits and limitations so try both and use the one suited to your playing.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write