The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 09-21-2014, 12:35 PM

Default update

Just as a final update to NGD ~yEs~:

I got ~the~ amp for me. The Valvetrain was not actually a Lexington model. I was practicing on a Valvetrain Concord. The Concord is a nice little hand-wired point-to-point tube amp. 6 watts RMS, 1x12 speaker.

...perfect for my needs...

I should probably do a NAD (New Amp Day) not to be confused with NAD (New Archtop Day).

tayl

~ Seagull, Canada ~
2003 Maritime SWS Mahogany Dreadnaught

~Tacoma's, Tacoma, Washington, USA~
2006 BM6C Baritone
2000 AJF22CE5

~ Guild's, Westerly, R.I., USA ~
1980 F212 CNT

...one man gathers what another man spills...
Old 09-21-2014, 03:22 PM

I really like the appearance of the design.

Does the placement of the sound-hole so near the pick-up have any effect on feed-back?

Youtube

France (Film Musique & Fantomas)
---
Guitars: (2007) big Vietnamese archtop; (1997) Guild F65ce,
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louparte View Post
I really like the appearance of the design.

Does the placement of the sound-hole so near the pick-up have any effect on feed-back?
Nope. Not one bit. When I first started moving toward more non-traditional guitars with off-set sound holes, like Tacoma's "Wing" series or the 1981 Alvarez Artist 5051 with florentine patterns carved in the upper bouts of the guitar, I wonder if I could get away from notch filers. As it turns out, all of my acoustic guitars howl and scream without a notch filter.

What changing the location of the sound hole gets you is the chance to use different bracing patterns. Without a hole in middle of the guitar (or two f-holes) luthiers have more real estate to experiment with.

The Valvetrain Concord tube amp has no notch filter but feedback is not a problem. That was one reason why I spent so much time with it before I bought it. Face to face and 1 foot away at about half mast on the volume knob and no feed back. So, I just kinda shrugged and started playing. After awhile I just turned my back on it and kept practicing.

...works like a charm...

Edit: This guitar has a passive EMG pickup which, according to the literature was especially designed for Tacoma by EMG. I'm not really sure that it's any different really. What I can tell you is that I stood too close to my little Roland Cube 30, which is all solid state COSM (Composite Object Sound Modeling) and has NO notch filter. It howls just like any other acoustic guitar.

~ Seagull, Canada ~

2006 BM6C Baritone
2000 AJF22CE5

1980 F212 CNT

Last edited by newton; 09-21-2014 at 04:19 PM. Reason: ...forgetfull...
Old 09-22-2014, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newton View Post
Nope. Not one bit....

Edit: This guitar has a passive EMG pickup which, according to the literature was especially designed for Tacoma by EMG. I'm not really sure that it's any different really. What I can tell you is that I stood too close to my little Roland Cube 30, which is all solid state COSM (Composite Object Sound Modeling) and has NO notch filter. It howls just like any other acoustic guitar.
Did your AC60 feed back? I have an AC60. Love the design of your Tacoma. Very smart to
design the pick-up with the specific guitar in mind. I'm wondering how it would
respond with my more common Kent Armstrong mini-humbucker.

Youtube

---
(1988) Guild D60, (1972) Guild D25, two other Vietnamese flat-tops and one classical.

Old 09-22-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by louparte View Post
Did your AC60 feed back? I have an AC60. Love the design of your Tacoma. Very smart to
design the pick-up with the specific guitar in mind. I'm wondering how it would
respond with my more common Kent Armstrong mini-humbucker.
My AC60 is:

pre-looper
bought used and used a lot
always very well behaved (notch filter)
screams like any other amp if you stand too close with the notch filter off
is not very loud with my Tacoma Archtop

I am going to plug in a few other guitars to my AC60 to check and see if this is so (regarding volume).

~ Seagull, Canada ~

2006 BM6C Baritone
2000 AJF22CE5

1980 F212 CNT

Old 09-22-2014, 05:44 PM

Default Update

All of my other acoustic/electric guitars are louder than the passive EMG pickup on my archtop when playing through the AC60. All are battery powered though. Still, the AC60 got pretty loud with the archtop. The archtop was the only guitar with flatwound strings with nickel in them. The Yairi GY-1 with 80/20's won hands down for volume.

So, not very scientific since the strings aren't all the same. But, overall the archtop has to have the main volume knob turned up at least 1/4 turn more. I was playing with my fingers as well. If I was strumming with a pick, and really driving the top hard, it might be a different story.

~ Seagull, Canada ~

2006 BM6C Baritone
2000 AJF22CE5

1980 F212 CNT

Old 09-22-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newton View Post
All of my other acoustic/electric guitars are louder than the passive EMG pickup on my archtop when playing through the AC60. All are battery powered though. Still, the AC60 got pretty loud with the archtop. The archtop was the only guitar with flatwound strings with nickel in them. The Yairi GY-1 with 80/20's won hands down for volume.

So, not very scientific since the strings aren't all the same. But, overall the archtop has to have the main volume knob turned up at least 1/4 turn more. I was playing with my fingers as well. If I was strumming with a pick, and really driving the top hard, it might be a different story.
Interesting. Thanks.

Youtube

---

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops