The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 03-01-2023, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
All three of these guitars have trem systems. All three are locked down. No muss, no fuss. It’s not the witches brew folks try to make it out to be. Fender players have been hard tailing their guitars for generations. Don’t let them spook you!
Attachment 88315

Attachment 88316

Attachment 88317

frank d.
Yeah, I'm puzzled by the concern regarding simple, easily reversible mods like:
  • Just tightening the claw up to deck the bridge, a few minutes with a screwdriver. Can also be adjusted for down bends only this way.
  • Adding a spring or two at string change to deck the trem even more firmly against even big bends or higher tension strings
  • Dropping a proper width thing (I used a block of wood, but there are various things) between the trem cavity wall the block) to make a Strat into a hardtail.

These aren't rocket surgery. Requires a screwdriver. Less complex and time consuming as changing to a different set of strings. I'm all for variety, and as a Tele guy, I blocked the trem on the first Strat type I played, but I think any of these things are so easy that the above methods are why there are fewer hardtail Strats made.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 03-02-2023, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Yeah, I'm puzzled by the concern regarding simple, easily reversible mods...
I'm the OP, and I never once expressed a concern about tremolo systems. This is a concern assigned to me by other posters, who never took the time to read what I wrote.

My principle focus is and always has been left hand playability. This is the sum of neck profile, fretboard wood, fret size, and fret finishing. That's it; that's the list. I wouldn't kick a guitar out of the running because it had a tremolo system. I don't use them, so I don't care about them. In my hands it's feature without a benefit and one that is easily disabled. That's where it ends.
Old 03-02-2023, 09:24 AM

Leave the lab a few hours and go play some guitars. After fifty some odd replies if you still aren't getting the info you want/need its time you did some scientific research of your own. And if you say the guitar stores are too far away, every big music retailer takes returns. Order five guitars and pick one. Don’t swipe at the people trying to help you because they aren't exactly in your lane.

frank d.
Old 03-02-2023, 12:23 PM

For anyone having trouble with a Strat staying in tune after trem use, check out this video. Very informative!

https://youtu.be/Iy-F7iSIopA
Old 03-02-2023, 07:39 PM

If you're very particular about the shape of the neck and fretboard (which I seem to be, without wanting to be) it does all come down to finding plenty of guitars to play until one works. I've never been able to suss out much of anything from spec sheet information from builders or manufacturers.

My acoustic guitar, whose neck suited me perfectly from the moment I picked it up the first time, was described by the seller as well as by the builder (who I contacted by email) in a way that made it seem very different from the shape and dimensions I had liked on other guitars. It was a great price on a better guitar than I thought I could afford at normal prices so I made the 2-1/2 hour drive to try it out and bought it on the spot.

That was the when I learned how individual and un-describable in words and numbers the neck and fretboard of a guitar can be.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 03-03-2023, 08:34 AM

Methinks some people just overthink. I can never understand guys that aren't flexible with the specs of guitars.
Pono 0000-30DC
Yamaha FSX5, LS16, FG830, FSX700SC
Epiphone EF500-RAN
2001 Gibson '58 Reissue LP
2005, 2007 Gibson '60 Reissue LP Special (Red&TV Yel)
1972 Yamaha SG1500, 1978 LP500
Tele's and Strats
1969,1978 Princeton Reverb
1972 Deluxe Reverb
Epiphone Sheraton, Riviera
DeArmond T400
Ibanez AS73
Quilter Superblock US[/I]
Old 03-03-2023, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidd View Post
Methinks some people just overthink. I can never understand guys that aren't flexible with the specs of guitars.
I can just barely play guitar well enough to make a little music that pleases me. There's a lot of stuff I can't play that I'd like to but if I stick to slow, simple tunes I'm OK.

That's all using guitars that fit me hands and have the sorts of sounds I like. If I tried to do that with a neck and fretboard (or for that matter body proportions) that force me into contortions just to get my fingers in the right place I'd be out of luck. I've got no reserve of skill to use for working around the wrong size and shape of guitar and skill make music.

But that's just me.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars