The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
I am thinking about this very setup. Adding a sub to my Schertler Unico to better represent the acoustic drums and drum machine that I loop while my vocals and guitar will probably use perhaps 5% of the sub.
I'm currently using a pair of Mackie C200's, an older Yamaha EMX66M powered mixer and a powered Peavey PR15, and while I'm not using a crossover unit to split the low end out to the Peavey, I'm still hearing an exceptional tonal quality that I can't get with just the Mackies.

I've got the Peavey for sale in the classifieds, but if I were still gigging regularly I'd certainly keep it...

Old 02-09-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I'll add the thought that with a pair of 10' two ways and a powered sub, it's not necessarily about "pounding club style bass" but actually cleaning up the mids......adding a sub allows the "bass" driver in your main speakers to reproduce the vocals and subtle guitar passages much better because it's not also reproducing the deepest bass notes.

The differences in midrange clarity can be pretty astounding.
+1 to this post.

Subs, when used judiciously, really open up the sonic envelope, making the overall sound less strained.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:01 PM

[QUOTE=Chiavelli;2928399]I reccommend a pair of Fishman Loudbox Mini's. We are an acoustic duo and we both use the Loudbox Mini. I run my vocal and guitar throught the respective separate channels on mine and Scott runs through his own amp. We place them both between us so the sound is not too separated for folks on either side of the venue and it is a beautiful thing.

I do something similar on my small rig with a pair of Ultrasound DS4 acoustic amps. The only difference is I use a stereo vocal processor and run left to my amp and right to my partners amp. It works very well for smaller venues.
Old 02-10-2012, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I'll add the thought that with a pair of 10' two ways and a powered sub, it's not necessarily about "pounding club style bass" but actually cleaning up the mids......adding a sub allows the "bass" driver in your main speakers to reproduce the vocals and subtle guitar passages much better because it's not also reproducing the deepest bass notes.

The differences in midrange clarity can be pretty astounding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzardwhiskey View Post
I am thinking about this very setup. Adding a sub to my Schertler Unico to better represent the acoustic drums and drum machine that I loop while my vocals and guitar will probably use perhaps 5% of the sub.
This is one of those things that "sounds logical", but is not necessarily true. Unless you "hi-pass" the mains, the low frequencies will still be there. Some mains have a built-in HPF (hi-pass filter), some don't. You might also "see" very little difference, until your mains approach limiting.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification