The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-05-2011, 01:50 PM

Default Navarra 51. Classical guitar

Anyone heard of these, a friend just asked me to sell it on Craigslist. It was made in Japan in the seventies I think and is in Fair condition mug the neck is sweet. It was stored in a garage for twenty years and has a cheap case. I wonder what to ask to it ke maybe I'll buy it for a travel playing at the beach guitar.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:48 PM

I spent this evening with that guitar, removed the strings, oiled the fingerboard and used some Martin polish on the rest, it is a cheap guitar that playes very nicely, the neck shape feels identical to my Esteve 9C/B. The action is a little lower but I put some LaBella 900 Golden Superior strings on it. I'd had them on my guitar for a couple of days and ended up likeing something else better so this put them to good use. The tuners are stiff but at least work but ugly. The neck is 2" wide at the nut, 25.5" scale, front bout a little smaller than my Esteve but the rest is very similar.

It's a freaking cheap guitar that looks quite nice, not up close craftsmanship of cours but it is fun to play and sounds quite nice. It's not my Esteve, not close in any category but it's still fun to play and listen to. I don't need another guitar, if I did keep it I'd probably replace the tuners if they are a standard fit, these things are kind of pressed metal.

I spent a lot of time on it just because I think it needs another chance so once the strings stretch out a little I think I'll post it here in town and see what I can do.

I've become quite attached to it and am kind of hoping I can find a steel string guitar to play around with that I like as much as this since I really can't afford to be buying any more instruments for awhile.

A friend picked up a used Omega ( I think that is the name of the first guitars Martin made in Japan) used for $250 at GC a few years back and it really performs nicely. So there's still hope for me to get something to play in a steel string and keep playing my nylon string guitar which I totally love. OMG I'm sounding like the young gals at the coffee shop.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JannieA View Post
Anyone heard of these, a friend just asked me to sell it on Craigslist. It was made in Japan in the seventies I think and is in Fair condition mug the neck is sweet. It was stored in a garage for twenty years and has a cheap case. I wonder what to ask to it ke maybe I'll buy it for a travel playing at the beach guitar.
I have one of these. My understanding is that they were produced and sold on the west coast under the Navarra label for a chain of stores called Music West. Mine was given to me by my Dad in 1970. It does play well however for a cheap laminate guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical