The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-02-2017, 12:42 PM

Default Sounds Good

If it sounds good to you then it is good.

What I think does not matter.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
I don't have perfect pitch, but I do have the experience of a song in a different key sounding "completely, painfully, wrong" (well maybe not painfully, but definitely uncomfortably).
Interesting point about pitch memory. I have noticed that songs I regularly play sound a bit weird at first if I do something like tune down a half step or put a capo in a different place than usual. I've never noticed it when someone else was playing something in an unusual key, though.

I've always thought of "perfect pitch" as something one either has or doesn't, but maybe it makes more sense to think of it as one extreme in the range of how good individuals' pitch memories are.
Old 12-03-2017, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmd612 View Post
Interesting point about pitch memory. I have noticed that songs I regularly play sound a bit weird at first if I do something like tune down a half step or put a capo in a different place than usual. I've never noticed it when someone else was playing something in an unusual key, though.

I've always thought of "perfect pitch" as something one either has or doesn't, but maybe it makes more sense to think of it as one extreme in the range of how good individuals' pitch memories are.
My view too. There's a gulf between pitch memory (however good) and absolute pitch, but I think the latter is just the extreme top end of the same spectrum. It's like 20/20 vision, while the rest of us just see fuzzy. We're still seeing!
Old 12-03-2017, 06:52 AM
Charter Member

I am not always aware when someone is down a half, but I can always tell when it's a full step. Whether a given song sounds good in a lower tuning is a function of many things the least of which is, in my opinion, the down tuned guitar.
Old 12-03-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
Weather I'm a listener or player? No. It doesn't matter to me. The music is the same regardless of 1/2 step. That's sort of like asking if a song sounded okay to me capo'd.

If I heard Here Comes The Sun played below the 7th fret at standard pitch I might call foul (or think it) but otherwise I don't get my teeth in a chatter about going 1/2 step down.
My question as about a whole step.
Old 12-04-2017, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
My question as about a whole step.
To me it does, as long as the strings are heavy enough to handle the lower tension well. If they get floppy, it's not so good.

Lefty Acoustics

Martin 00-15M
Taylor 320e Baritone

Cheap Righty Classical (played upside down ala Elizabeth Cotten)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write