The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 12:20 PM

Wait, you guys been talking about Hawaiian kine stuffs without me? Auē nohoʻi I got some catching up to do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
In the immortal words of my kumu (teacher) Keola Beamer, "It's great to be in the band playing for hula dancers. You are always on the naughty side of the wiggles". The challenge is concentrating on your playing.......
Keola is one kolohe dude! But seriously, I play and sing for hula hālau in competitions, and my rule is to never look at the dancers at all, because if I get distracted and mess up… thereby causing them to mess up, or just making us musicians sound bad… I'd feel terrible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
My primary bass these days IS a ukulele -- the Kala U-bass. Since getting it my Squier P-bass and the Lace four string that was gifted to me have stayed in their cases. The little U-bass is so fun to play, and very portable. It does take a bit to get used to the rubbery strings -- your touch must be lighter.
I have the original rubber band bass, the Guild-Ashbory from the mid '80s. It's a tiny solid body fretless, and sounds amazing, although it's a bit challenging to play in tune, being that itʻs fretless and such a short scale. I don't know if its the case with the u-basses, but the Guild-Ashbory strings tend to be very sticky to the touch, and you have to use talcum powder on the fingers of your fingering hand or you wouldn't be able to slide!

Old 12-03-2017, 12:28 PM

And since Mele Kalikimaka came up, here's another fun holiday song… you know the melody. It's great to share with a gathering, so if anybody would like a PDF version formatted for printing, PM me. BTW, "tūtū" means grandparent, usually grandmother.

Numbah One Day of Christmas
Eaton “Bob” Magoon Jr., Ed Kenney, Gordon Phelps

Numbah one day of Christmas, my tūtū give to me – one mynah bird in one papaya tree

Numbah two day of Christmas, my tūtū give to me – two coconut, and one mynah bird in one papaya tree

Numbah three day of Christmas, my tūtū give to me – three dried squid, two coconut, and one mynah bird in one papaya tree

Numbah four day of Christmas, my tūtū give to me – four flower lei, three dried squid, two coconut, and one mynah bird in one papaya tree

Numbah five day of Christmas, my tūtū give to me – FIVE BIG FAT PIG – four flower lei, three dried squid, two coconut, and one mynah bird in one papaya tree

Numbah six day of Christmas, my tūtū give to me – six hula lesson – FIVE BIG FAT PIG – four flower lei, three dried squid, two coconut, and one mynah bird in one papaya tree

Numbah seven day of Christmas, my tūtū give to me – seven shrimp a-swimming, six hula lesson – FIVE BIG FAT PIG – four flower lei, three dried squid, two coconut, and one mynah bird in one papaya tree

Numbah eight day of Christmas, my tūtū give to me – eight ʻukulele, seven shrimp a-swimming, six hula lesson – FIVE BIG FAT PIG – four flower lei, three dried squid, two coconut, and one mynah bird in one papaya tree

Numbah nine day of Christmas, my tūtū give to me – nine pound of poi, eight ʻukulele, seven shrimp a-swimming, six hula lesson – FIVE BIG FAT PIG – four flower lei, three dried squid, two coconut, and one mynah bird in one papaya tree

Numbah ten day of Christmas, my tūtū give to me – ten can of beer, nine pound of poi, eight ʻukulele, seven shrimp a-swimming, six hula lesson – FIVE BIG FAT PIG – four flower lei, three dried squid, two coconut, and one mynah bird in one papaya tree

Numbah eleven day of Christmas, my tūtū give to me – eleven missionary, ten can of beer, nine pound of poi, eight ʻukulele, seven shrimp a-swimming, six hula lesson – FIVE BIG FAT PIG – four flower lei, three dried squid, two coconut, and one mynah bird in one papaya tree

Numbah twelve day of Christmas, my tūtū give to me – twelve television, eleven missionary, ten can of beer, nine pound of poi, eight ʻukulele, seven shrimp a-swimming, six hula lesson – FIVE BIG FAT PIG – four flower lei, three dried squid, two coconut, and one mynah bird in one papaya tree

Last edited by Uncle Pauhana; 12-03-2017 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 07:18 PM
Guest 928

Oh Uncle!

That is so good. Thank you for bringing these marvelous lyrics.
Old 12-03-2017, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Uncle P for that fun "12 Days"!

Well, except for that "nine pound of poi," 'cause I'm pretty sure you just pawn that off on the tourists. Or maybe use it for wallpaper paste.

Aloha!
Old 12-03-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Oh Uncle!

That is so good. Thank you for bringing these marvelous lyrics.
Naʻu ka hauʻoli! (The pleasure is mine!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Thanks Uncle P for that fun "12 Days"!

Well, except for that "nine pound of poi," 'cause I'm pretty sure you just pawn that off on the tourists. Or maybe use it for wallpaper paste.

Aloha!
Haha, I know what you mean about poi… but the thing most mainlanders don't think about is that poi is a starch, not a main dish. I never hear people complaining about how tasteless plain unadorned pasta or potatoes are, because they realize that you're supposed to eat them with sauce or condiments of some sort. Same way, poi goes in the mouth with the meat or fish or whatever. (And aged poi has a nice tang to it, kind of like yogurt.)

But be that as it may, I'm a rice and noodles and whole-grain bread guy myself.

Old 12-07-2017, 09:35 PM
Charter Member

I added another dimension for recording today, a Yamaha DD65, very compact electric drums. They arrived late this afternoon; too late to start recording from scratch, so I added a drum track to a previous recording...

https://soundcloud.com/captainjimb/more-today-than-yesterday-1

Not so easy to do, since I haven't been working with a metronome or countdown for recording; makes me appreciate being able to play solo and not worry about dropping or picking up a beat.

Not much noise when plugged in directly to the recorder...

... as evidenced by my little furry girl sitting right in front of it. She always comes in to listen when I am playing guitar.

A reasonable drum sound, with lots of options; doesn't take up much space (it's a small room). I had a full set of drums back in the early 80s, but haven't picked up sticks since then... a bit of a learning curve.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I added another dimension for recording today, a Yamaha DD65, very compact electric drums. They arrived late this afternoon; too late to start recording from scratch, so I added a drum track to a previous recording...

https://soundcloud.com/captainjimb/more-today-than-yesterday-1

Not so easy to do, since I haven't been working with a metronome or countdown for recording; makes me appreciate being able to play solo and not worry about dropping or picking up a beat.

Not much noise when plugged in directly to the recorder...

... as evidenced by my little furry girl sitting right in front of it. She always comes in to listen when I am playing guitar.

A reasonable drum sound, with lots of options; doesn't take up much space (it's a small room). I had a full set of drums back in the early 80s, but haven't picked up sticks since then... a bit of a learning curve.

I’ve looking at these drum kits. Where did you order it from?
Old 12-08-2017, 01:31 AM

Quote:
I added another dimension for recording today, a Yamaha DD65, very compact electric drums.
A reasonable drum sound, with lots of options; doesn't take up much space (it's a small room).
For a couple of years now I have been kind of wishing I had some semblance of an electronic drum kit, but all the ones I've seen were too big. That little Yamaha set-up looks like just the ticket for a recording guitarist! . And at $179, priced right.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:23 AM

Fun stuff.. I have a Roland Handsonic I got years ago that is fun and sounds great. ... I have a couple drum sets but let friends use them ..and they take up so much room.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 12-08-2017, 09:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
I’ve looking at these drum kits. Where did you order it from?
Joan ordered it from Amazon. I was considering a cajon, when she said, "Have you looked at any electronic drums?" I hadn't seen anything this small that sounds decent before (well, I haven't been looking). A search on-line came up with scads of YouTube videos and reviews.

With this first set up and test, I'm impressed. The foot pedals are small and slide around, but there are work-arounds for that on-line, as well. Having owned a full drum set in the past, this is a great solution for percussion that doesn't take up much space but still sounds good. The speakers are moderately crappy, but I won't be using those - plug directly into the H4n Pro, pick the drum set you like (100 or so), and have at it. The compact heads take a bit of getting used to. The only thing I've found so far that you can't do with this is "choke" a cymbal.

Plus, I can bang away on these and not disturb anyone else in the house.
Old 12-08-2017, 09:53 AM
Charter Member

Interesting stuff there, I gotta add that you guys are heads above me on the talent scale, I couldn't play drums for anything. I've tried many times. I'm pretty good with the foot pedal bass....but it ends there. LOL
Old 12-08-2017, 01:36 PM
Charter Member

Sneaking time in bits and pieces today - seems we are in "wrapping mode" as the holiday approaches. A dusting of snow (??!!) this morning in the Tropical Tip. Well, dusting isn't the right word when it is sloppy wet and the wind is blowing it sideways above gale force.

That ain't right!

I recorded a drum track, then a bass track, on top of a previous recording again. When things settle down, I'll try a proper recording... in the mean time, I'm just having fun with the learning curve.

https://soundcloud.com/captainjimb/country-road
Old 12-10-2017, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

Another day, another tune. Live in a sub-tropical climate on the coast and you are required by law to play some Buffett tunes...

https://soundcloud.com/captainjimb/son-of-a-sailor
Old 12-10-2017, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Live in a sub-tropical climate on the coast and you are required by law to play some Buffett tunes...
I had the same issue when living in Alaska. You are required by state law to play Johhny Horton's "North to Alaska" at most gigs. I usually challenge the audience to start the lyrics of the second verse. If they can't they owe the band a beer.....

Nice job with "Son of a Son..." btw. I do it in a fingerpicked more "ballady" style.
Old 12-13-2017, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

A little holiday getaway to San Antonio. Some shopping (no, I don't need any guitars at this time), sight-seeing, and a Tommy Emmanuel concert this evening, with Meet & Greet tickets. I'm excited!

Wandering around the Riverwalk area downtown...

To keep this OT: yes, the X7 made the trip with us. :-)
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber