The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-08-2016, 02:33 PM

Default Alto TX10 1st use

I was curious when this new line of inexpensive Alto speakers came out - much cheaper than the old TS series, but a look at the specs showed less low end frequency response.

I was going to pick up a pair if I needed some pole-mount speakers in a hurry, because the local GC always has them in stock. Instead, a new co-hosting open mic situation came up and since I had mixer, mics, everything else, the other guy said he'd pick up some speakers. I saw a set of used Alto TX10's come up online at the Dover, NH store at half the new price, and sent my cohost after them.
We used them a couple of weeks ago - outside deck at the pub of an upscale hotel, so the volume had to be controlled - but we needed to project the sound.
Only acoustic guitars (never more than 2 at once) and mics (and one miked ukulele) and everyone there complimented the sound. We had to turn it up a bit for the furthest tables to hear clearly with the softer players - but when I was playing (I play hard, sing loud) a friend who was late arriving said she could hear me across the parking lot. It wasn't so loud in the front that people at the tables couldn't talk, either.
Our next open mic is not until the end of the month, so will see how that does - if an electric guitarist or bass player shows up, the speakers will get a true test, but for acoustic/vocal work these lightweight (less than 16 lbs each) speakers were more than adequate and delivered a clear sound.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 08-08-2016, 03:46 PM

I bought one of those a while back to use for small gigs and as a monitor. It's pretty boxy sounding, but generally fine for what it is.
Old 08-08-2016, 04:40 PM

I have 2 of the TX8's. They work well in similar venues, but they need to be turned up very loud to do it. I would not plug a bass guitar into the mix. Ric
Old 08-10-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post
I have 2 of the TX8's. They work well in similar venues, but they need to be turned up very loud to do it. I would not plug a bass guitar into the mix. Ric
I'm hoping if a bass player shows up he brings a small amp!

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification