The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-30-2016, 04:23 AM

Thanks Spook and thanks Doug Young! High praise indeed for Strymon. I know I can't get to the Big Sky budget wise. I am tempted, very tempted to go with the Blue Sky. The menu functions on the crd-70 are driving me crazy. I think it is probably laid out as well as it could be, but with so many options comes complications that take some of the joy out of it. May move on this today, and if I do I'll report back.
Old 08-02-2016, 04:58 PM

I gave in and ordered the Strymon bluesky and it will be here Wednesday! I'll report back thanks for the advice everyone!!!
Old 08-07-2016, 04:50 AM

Reporting back on the Strymon. I'd say it is as advertised. The reverb itself seems more pure than the Zoom CDR70. The plate settings are OK. The room sounds very hi fi. The spring was surprisingly nice for surf sounds even with my acoustic (my primary use).
The chorus was a disappointment (modulation I guess it is called here). I just can't see using that setting, it feels like overall it is set to "warble" too quickly (it changes though as you change reverbs). The shimmer is certainly an interesting effect, but again, not sure I'd use it much (it changes too as per each reverb).
I miss the features of the zoom. Delay primarily, but adjustable chorus too. Tuner of course. I DON't miss the menus on the Zoom.
So I'd say for studio usage, or venues where people are actually listening to you quietly, you might get full capability from the Strymon. If you are playing at restaurants or clubs where you are background, I can't see it making a difference. I'm going to wait a few days to decide but am leaning towards going back to the zoom and using that extra 200 on other things on my (long) list of musical items I have been researching.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:54 AM

Well, I sent the strymon back. I found the zoom more inspirational, with the different effects. I guess I don't have a hi fi ear. I don't have a negative view of the strymon though, I think it is an excellent pedal. If someone is looking for the best possible reverb, and price isn't an object, then that is what I'd get.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:01 AM

I'm looking at the Neunaber Mono Seraphim as a reasonably priced reverb and/or shimmer pedal. Anyone using that with an acoustic guitar?
Old 08-09-2016, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Yellow View Post
I'm looking at the Neunaber Mono Seraphim as a reasonably priced reverb and/or shimmer pedal. Anyone using that with an acoustic guitar?
I'm using the Stereo Wet pedal. I think its a truly fantastic reverb. If i was you i'd buy the Stereo version because you can set it up as ANY of the Neunaber pedals with a USB cable or the EXP switch. I often change mine between a chorus, reverb and reverb with shimmer depending on what mood i'm in, they are all exceptional sounds.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmsone View Post
I'm using the Stereo Wet pedal. I think its a truly fantastic reverb. If i was you i'd buy the Stereo version because you can set it up as ANY of the Neunaber pedals with a USB cable or the EXP switch. I often change mine between a chorus, reverb and reverb with shimmer depending on what mood i'm in, they are all exceptional sounds.
I'll bear that in mind. I was just going to use it in the FX loop of my Fishman Platinum pro EQ DI box, which is mono. But I'll do a bit more research. The Seraphim mono is already a 2-in-1 of the Wet reverb and the Shimmer.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:14 AM

Doug, how do you compare BigSky with Bricast M7 ?!
Kenny Hill Player 640 (2017)(Rosewood/Spruce)
Yamaha NCX 700 (2010) (Mahogany/Sitka)
Guitalele Gretsch G9126 (2013) (Mahogany/Mahogany)

Genz Benz 150LT
Ultrasound/Dean Markley AG15

My Youtube Channel
Old 08-09-2016, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoryDavis View Post
Well, I sent the strymon back. I found the zoom more inspirational, with the different effects. I guess I don't have a hi fi ear. I don't have a negative view of the strymon though, I think it is an excellent pedal. If someone is looking for the best possible reverb, and price isn't an object, then that is what I'd get.
Thanks for letting us know where you ended up. It's good that you objectively assessed your needs and wants and made a choice based on that. Of course, you realize that a significant percentage of your future income will be going to music gear. But at least it will be stuff that usually meets your needs.
Old 08-10-2016, 05:10 AM

Spook, yes the list of equipment I'd like to have is long for me (and many others I would guess) and will as you point out require a significant percentage of future income to acquire, ha, and I'm good with that ha!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification