The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 07-13-2016, 04:55 AM

Default Soundhole pickup OK, what next?

Hi there,

I have just replaced my old Lawrence A 300 with a Shadow SH 145. I will soon have it permanently installed by a tech in the shop I bought it from (free of charge as both my guitar and pickup were purchased there, thank you Guitar Maniac people). I usually plug straight into the PA and I was thinking that introducing a third element in between pickup and PA might significantly improve sound quality. However, I am not too sure what to get. I am hesitating between an equalizer, a DA or a small acoustic amp that could then be plugged into the PA. As I don't play that often (mostly in the summertime, gigs around the pool with friends), I don't want to spend a fortune. So, what would you savvy people recommend? Thanks for your help,

Michel
Old 07-13-2016, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

Probably get best mileage out of a good DI.....but they aren't that cheap......Redeye ($195) on the top of the list, something like a LRBaggs Gigpro ($99) on the lower end....I'd check out Reverb or Ebay for something used.

Also, take your guitar to a local big box store, (ie. Guitar Center) and try some out....you can do that for free.....

Good luck.
Old 07-13-2016, 07:46 AM
Charter Member

Bodyrez for 79 bucks...they sound nice for both soundhole and UST applications.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:58 PM

In my experience magnetic pickups usually have a lot of midrange issues. I think you'll get the most out of something with a sweepable eq. PARA DI works well and is affordable. A simple quality preamp or di with limited tone controls may add some clarity/boost/quality to your sound but I think it will be minimal compared to what you would get out of some strong eqing.
Old 07-15-2016, 12:47 PM

Thanks for your advice.
I'll see if they let me try different options at the store.

Thanks again,

Michel
Old 07-15-2016, 08:39 PM

The main purpose of a DI is to match the high impedance of a piezo pickp to the input of a PA. Your Shadow SH 145 is NOT a piezo, it's a magnetic humbucker. So I would not just get a straight DI or a preamp designed primarily for piezo's. Probably the best thing to do is go to a good music store and try it out with a bunch of good acoustic amps. A nice lightweight acoustic amp will do more for your tone than any preamp. You can send the amp's line out to a PA, and use the amp as a stage monitor. Or you can do smaller venues just with your acoustic amp, your guitar and a mic.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:31 PM

I use radials sb-1 DI.
Its built specifically for magnetic pickups.
And its active, and the best thing, its still under $70.

No eq though, but the slight bit of eq-ing I need is easily take care of by the mixer.
48v phantom power is required (no batteries)

Natural sounding too
Paracho Bajo Quinto
Gabbanelli solid body bajo quinto (M1A/DP156)

Amps:
VOX AGA150
Line 6 spider
Old 07-31-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Youngman View Post
In my experience magnetic pickups usually have a lot of midrange issues. I think you'll get the most out of something with a sweepable eq. PARA DI works well and is affordable. A simple quality preamp or di with limited tone controls may add some clarity/boost/quality to your sound but I think it will be minimal compared to what you would get out of some strong eqing.
David, I am fighting the midrange battle. I have the K&K pickups. I have the K&K Pure XLR preamp and I am able to take out a lot of it. I have the Venue DI with the sweepable high and low mid control. Here is my question. When you sweep through the mid freqs are you looking to identify the most offensive tone and control that one, or are you looking for the midrange freq you find appealing and want to control that one?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification