The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-25-2015, 08:07 AM

Default JJB 330 or K&K

I'm having a dilemma deciding which pickup to install into my Sigma TM-12 (Sigmas copy of the little Martin).

Is there a huge difference between these 2 pickups in terms of:
1. Sound
2. Feedback issues
3. Quality of materials
4. Output

I can get the JJB for £40 including delivery and then my local luthier will install it for £40-£50.

The K&K will cost me £80 plus installation. Is it worth spending the extra for a K&K? I will only be using it plugged in at home through a small PA and maybe occasionally at local open mic nights when I can't be bothered dragging my full sized guitar along.

I am willing to spend the extra money if the K&K is the far better pickup

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 01-25-2015, 09:07 AM

I have both and can no hear a difference.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

I have both and find the tone quite similar. The difference is in the output. K&K has significantly more output than the JJB. For that reason, I would choose the K&K.

I always use a preamp to boost my signal. The JJB without one is almost useless IMO.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:23 AM

Thanks guys. Do you find one more prone to feedback than the other?

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 01-25-2015, 09:59 AM

Default JJB 330 or K&K

I have 2 guitars with the Pure Mini, haven't tried the other.

If the K&K has the stronger output then by definition it's going to be more feedback resistant. If the other is "quieter" then you have to have it louder through whatever amplification you are using, and other noise and vibrations are also louder.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 01-25-2015, 10:33 AM

Ive had a JJB for a while, and i'm very happy with it.
I did notice that some EQ is required, but thats a personal taste thing, it does sound excellent straight out the box. I used mine for ages with no preamp straight into a mixer via a standard DI box so I could input as XLR, and it seemed more then decent. It was only when I recently started using a preamp with my pedalboard and a few effects that I realised how much difference a simple preamp makes if you aren't running into an amp. If you're on a budget the 40 pounds you'll save vs the K&K and the 40-50 pounds you could save by installing it yourself will get you a preamp, and then your sound is killer, and by this point from my comparison with my friends k&k install, once the signal is preamped any difference became barely noticeable.

As for the install, its really not that difficult, just read through some K&K installation threads and you'll see its not complicated, the only thing that I was slightly concerned about was drilling the endpin hole, but a good quality/new 12mm wood drillbit, masking tape on both sides of the wood to stop splintering, something/someone to hold the guitar steady, drill carefully and its all good. Then you just use the gel type superglue to prevent the glue dripping and running, and after a few "test installs" with no glue, you'll realise its not that tricky, in my opinion not worth 50 quid for someone else to do it, especially if you have any diy skills at all.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:44 AM

Doing it myself is not really an option I have no patience or DIY skills!

By the sound of it I'm best getting the K&K to save me needing to carry a preamp out with me, unless a Hi-Z option on the PA input would help address this?

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 01-25-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
Doing it myself is not really an option I have no patience or DIY skills!

By the sound of it I'm best getting the K&K to save me needing to carry a preamp out with me, unless a Hi-Z option on the PA input would help address this?
I'm one of those K&K users who think they sound only so-so without a preamp. I was ready to scrape my first one off the bridge plate in the first week. Added a K&K Pure preamp and THEN heard what the K&K really sounds like. Actually ... the hi-Z input is not what you want to use with a K&K straight to the PA. That input is usually in the neighborhood of 10MegOhm, while the K&K sounds best with 1 MegOhm (or less). Putting a K&K into a hi-Z input will accentuate the bass (boomy) and thin the treble tone. Some just crank the EQ until they get it where they want it, I suppose.

I have a JJB Prestige 220 in my vintage Guild B-50 acoustic bass guitar. Sounds great.
Old 01-25-2015, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

I have one of each in my two acoustics. Both are fantastic pickups, and I, personally, don't find a huge difference in output if they are installed well. I can see no reason at all, why you wouldn't save some money and go with the JJB (15mm piezos) for your application.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:55 PM

I haven't gotten to try K&K, but I understand they may accentuate the high end more. I haven't heard so from the maker, but I suspect JJB's lower output is by design to reduce feedback. What I'm using currently is BGM's Elevation pickups, which price very close to JJB but are made of higher grade components (Mogami cable and such). Been very satisfied and probably won't go back.

Whatever you choose, each company has a stack of happy customers, son you should be able to enjoy plugging in!

https://soundcloud.com/mcshepherd

Axe (acoustic): 2013 Gibson J-45 Standard (w/hardware mods)
Pickup: BGM Elevation SBT
Preamp/DI: Archangel x7 (generation 7)
Tube Amp: Peavey Delta Blues 115
Old 01-26-2015, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

I've got a JJB 220 in my little all-mahogany Wechter travel guitar.

Not an acoustically compelling guitar but enjoy using as a no worry, low-stress instrument for any sort of travel, sing-alongs around the campfire, etc. Added the pickup last year so I can plug & play when on the road. The surprise for me has been that this, to my ear, average guitar sounds pretty decent plugged-in. I've gotten great comments at open mics. Normally take along a Fishman Pro-EQ II preamp altho had the battery die as I plugged in at an open mic in Fraser, CO last summer and even without the preamp the sound was decent. Again, nice comments about the guitar and I'm like, "Well, honestly, this guitar is a piece of cr*p. But, glad you liked it!"

Happily paid a local luthier $35 to install it. (I can do some mean quantitative research, but I'm a lousy guitar tech.) So, with pickup cost, I have $75 into the electronics on a guitar I bought new for $220 a few years ago. Call it a $300 investment. I'm good.

Ain't Nobody's Business:
https://soundcloud.com/vern-equinox/...usiness-but-my
Old 01-26-2015, 05:33 PM

I have both. My unsophisticated ear can't tell the difference.

And I don't lose any sleep over it.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:46 PM

I'm sold on the JJB now it makes sense to save the cash considering the guitar it's going in isn't particularly expensive and both pickups seem to do a similar job. Just got the week or 2 wait for its arrival!

I'll report back when it's fitted

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 02-04-2015, 12:45 PM

After all the pondering Between the two pickups I finally have a pickup in my little Sigma....
I popped into my local music shop on Saturday to buy some more strings and got chatting to the owner about the two pickups and my dilemma.

He is a good guy who has set some guitars up for me before and I try and put any business his way as shops like these are sadly becoming a dying breed.

Anyway he had a Shadow twinducer pickup in his shop which he recommended as an alternative. I thing its the SH722. It's two 20mm piezo pickups that sit on the bridge plate. It's the same as the JJB 220. He did me a deal on a full set up, new elixir strings and the pickup and end pin jack fitted for £95.

Just got it back today. I ran it through my TC helicon voicesolo fx150 first with no preamp and it needed a lot of volume and I was able to get a decent enough sound out of it.

I then used a behringer ADi21 preamp (which I bought cheap as my first DI box). Cutting the mids back I was able to get a great natural, warm tone. I'm really pleased with the results. I cranked up my Little PA and managed to be feedback free. I've got a solo gig in a bar at the end of the month I'm going to take it with me and try it through a full sized PA system and see if it can still remain feedback free.

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 02-04-2015, 02:51 PM

I have JJB 330s in two guitars now and am very happy with the way they sound through my acoustic amp.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification