The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 03-21-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiloKiley View Post
This is slightly off topic, but I am thinking of getting a starter resonator. What I was wondering is how loud are they? It seems like they are significantly louder than the majority of acoustic guitars from the youtube clips I have heard. This might just be the recordings, I'm not too sure.

This probably defeats the purpose a bit,but can you play them quietly? I ask because I live in a condo and I like to dig in a bit but it might not be a great idea if it is incredibly loud and waking up the neighbors
Yes. Loud. I have played a few that were very quiet, look for the 200 dollar one, any brand, likely to be quiet, no guarantee, but likely. If it has a cutaway and costs 200, even more likely.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
Yes. Loud. I have played a few that were very quiet, look for the 200 dollar one, any brand, likely to be quiet, no guarantee, but likely. If it has a cutaway and costs 200, even more likely.
Any difference in volume based on materials used, tricone vs single cone, wood body etc?

I love loud guitars, but a loud resonator might shake the building...
Old 03-21-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiloKiley View Post
Any difference in volume based on materials used, tricone vs single cone, wood body etc?

I love loud guitars, but a loud resonator might shake the building...
My personal belief is that it's not just about loudness between the two. It's about the sonic impact as well. Single cones just seem to hit your ear faster and harder. The "softest" hitting resonator, in my opinion is a brass tricone. The hardest is either a wood, or steel singlecone.

And both styles can be played quietly, and sound good with fingerpicks if you have that level of control. With bare fingers quiet playing tends to sound thin, and unbalanced volume-wise across the strings.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
My personal belief is that it's not just about loudness between the two. It's about the sonic impact as well. Single cones just seem to hit your ear faster and harder. The "softest" hitting resonator, in my opinion is a brass tricone. The hardest is either a wood, or steel singlecone.

And both styles can be played quietly, and sound good with fingerpicks if you have that level of control. With bare fingers quiet playing tends to sound thin, and unbalanced volume-wise across the strings.
Thanks for the information!
Old 03-22-2012, 05:04 AM

I concur.

Old 03-24-2012, 10:19 PM

Just saw this guy Seth Stainback playing a cheap chinese Johnson triolian on YT, unplugged. He makes the guitar sound great. Sounds like he's got a great career ahead of him.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattdaddy View Post
Just saw this guy Seth Stainback playing a cheap chinese Johnson triolian on YT, unplugged. He makes the guitar sound great. Sounds like he's got a great career ahead of him.
Very few people who play music that calls for a resonator make a career out of it... I am saddened to say that.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments