The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-28-2010, 02:56 PM

I wear mine all the way up, on the pinky, and I don't like it too tight in the middle. I use adhesive-backed velcro loop in the finger-tip end to create a snug fit at the end.

So I like them snug on either end, but roomy in the middle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_H View Post
Should the slide fit snugly on the finger?

Shill - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill
Sockpuppet - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sock_puppet_(internet)
Forumspam - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forum_spam
Old 06-28-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
..... a couple other rookie questions:

Should the slide fit snugly on the finger? I've found a couple of slides laying around the house -- don't know when I might have picked them up -- and they're both pretty loose on both my ring and pinky fingers. And how far down the finger do they go? Just to the knuckle? A ways past? And is there a rule of thumb for length? Long enough to cover the whole fretboard? Not so much? (or "off the shelf" are most slides available in just one or two common lengths anyway -- as you can tell, I haven't been down to the local guitar shop yet, where I suppose I may get some help as well.)
The slide should be snug enough not to slide off. Pardon the pun.
If a slide is too loose, I have used a little pad inside under the fingerprint. What has worked well for me are those small 1/2" round self-stick pads used on the bottom of objects so as not to scratch surfaces.
My slides go all the way down and cover my little finger with the finger recessed about 1/4" from the end of the slide.
No rule of thumb for length or size or which finger to use. I like the slide long enough so I can play all 6 strings at a time. And I use the slide on my little finger so I can still fret notes with the other three fingers and I use my ring finger to dampen the strings behind the slide for better tone.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks Brian. And which leads to a couple other rookie questions:

Should the slide fit snugly on the finger? I've found a couple of slides laying around the house -- don't know when I might have picked them up -- and they're both pretty loose on both my ring and pinky fingers. And how far down the finger do they go? Just to the knuckle? A ways past? And is there a rule of thumb for length? Long enough to cover the whole fretboard? Not so much? (or "off the shelf" are most slides available in just one or two common lengths anyway -- as you can tell, I haven't been down to the local guitar shop yet, where I suppose I may get some help as well.)
I like the slide to have a somewhat loose fit over my finger . . . or just enough space that I can slightly bend my pinky at the knuckle. It goes all the way down past the knuckle. I typically play no more than single to three note combos that can be easily covered with a 1 3/4" slide. Having the tip of my pinky hang out the end allows me to arch the finger which in turn seems to help with accuracy. Darn, could talk all day about slides . . . got to go...
Old 06-28-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
But national single cones are 25" and tricones are 25 21/32nds. This is a 24.5 I have an inexpensive wood parlor with a 24.5 that I run with 3/32nds action and 13s and fingerpick and slide on. If I could I would run higher tension.
So (and forgive yet another neophyte question) on a shorter scale length guitar are higher string gauges and/or higher tension more or less of a concern than on a longer scale length model? For what it's worth I'm planning to keep it (exclusively?) in open tunings so I'm guessing that may factor at least a little into the mix. And again, to be clear, when you said earlier that you probably just run the EJ42s on it, and so would that be the .016-56 set?

Thanks again everyone for all of the input and opinions.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:25 PM

... and many thanks to "the Brians" and to "jmcphail" for the slide tips.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:28 PM

Using the same gauge string there is less tension the shorter the scale length. Also keep in mind that in some open tunings one or more of the strings are tuned higher than standard tuning, such as open-E tuning (from low to high, E B E G# B E) which creates a lot of string tension. In this case I tune down to open-D and capo on the 2nd fret.

Last edited by brian a.; 06-28-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian a. View Post
Using the same gauge string there is less tension the shorter the scale length.
Makes sense when I think about it. Cool... thanks.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Using the same gauge string there is less tension the shorter the scale length. Also keep in mind that in some open tunings one or more of the strings are tuned higher than standard tuning, such as open-E tuning (from low to high, E B E G# B E) which creates a lot of string tension. In this case I tune down to open-D and capo on the 2nd fret.
Excellent. Thanks so much again!
Old 06-28-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
So (and forgive yet another neophyte question) on a shorter scale length guitar are higher string gauges and/or higher tension more or less of a concern than on a longer scale length model? For what it's worth I'm planning to keep it (exclusively?) in open tunings so I'm guessing that may factor at least a little into the mix. And again, to be clear, when you said earlier that you probably just run the EJ42s on it, and so would that be the .016-56 set?

Thanks again everyone for all of the input and opinions.
If you already have a 13-56 set of strings just lying around, I would use that for sure. But next time you buy strings, I would get the EJ42 "Resophonic" string set from Daddario which has the same low strings as a normal 13-56 set, but the high strings are .016, .018, and .028, instead of .013, .017, and .026 you would find in a Daddario EJ17 13-56 set. give it a go and see if you prefer them. If you play slide you probably will. If you have any slide skill you won't even necessarily feel any difference, but your tone will be better. If you are just beginning with slide you will most definitely feel a difference with much less fret rattle.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Open E and Open A are generally best avoided with resonators. I don't know if it's the same deal with the shorter scale parlors, but with full size national style single and tricone guitars you are risking cone collapse. Stick to G and D
Old 06-28-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian a.

Open E and Open A are generally best avoided with resonators. I don't know if it's the same deal with the shorter scale parlors, but with full size national style single and tricone guitars you are risking cone collapse. Stick to G and D
Thanks very much guys. Invaluable info and tips I'd be hardpressed to get anywhere else. I love this forum.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:00 PM

I agree, I'm using the PB 15's, the "Michael Messer". I'm probably going to switch away from them when my current supply runs out based on expense, though.

I've been considering the Martin and D'Addario resonator sets, or just the John Pearse "Spanish Neck" 13's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeGuitar View Post
newtone make a fine set

Shill - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shill
Sockpuppet - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sock_puppet_(internet)
Forumspam - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forum_spam
Old 07-01-2010, 09:43 AM

Felt compelled to add a final note of thank you to this thread. I sincerely appreciate all of the information and insight you all shared this week.

I've got some heavier strings on the little beast, a few slides to noodle with, and am looking forward to a long weekend of driving my wife (and the neigborhood dogs, no doubt) a little crazy with my first forays into slide. Thanks again!
Old 07-01-2010, 10:56 AM

As far as slide fit goes, you have to experiment to find what you like. I use a brass slide that I made from a pipe nipple. I like its weight and tone. I have a glass one or 2 that I made and a Diamond also but the brass is what I like the best. I like it to cover the whole fret board although you give up a little agility for runs that way. I like it kind of snug but not too snug. I saw a trick on the slide guitar forum to put the fuzzy side of velcro tape on the inside and you can put as many or as few pieces as you like to the right snugness for your taste. Gives a nice comfortable fit too!
Old 07-01-2010, 11:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
If you already have a 13-56 set of strings just lying around, I would use that for sure. But next time you buy strings, I would get the EJ42 "Resophonic" string set from Daddario which has the same low strings as a normal 13-56 set, but the high strings are .016, .018, and .028, instead of .013, .017, and .026 you would find in a Daddario EJ17 13-56 set. give it a go and see if you prefer them. If you play slide you probably will. If you have any slide skill you won't even necessarily feel any difference, but your tone will be better. If you are just beginning with slide you will most definitely feel a difference with much less fret rattle.
I agree with the heavier reso set if you plan to play 100% slide on that guitar. If you are going to do any fretting, it will be very difficult with those heavier strings- in which case I'd stick with 13-56.
I prefer the sound of bottle glass slides on acoustics and resonators. Diamond bottlenecks makes some really good ones. I have a brass slide from Dunlop that has a radius on the outside, it's really nice for playing on guitars with radiused fretboards (most acoustics).

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments