The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-20-2017, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Default Mid sized CF guitar?

I love my Cargo, but I'm finding it to be a little smaller than I'd prefer. I'd potentially use the guitar for gigging in the future and want something a little bigger. Any recommendations for a full size dread CF or something between the Cargo and a full size?

Todd
Old 11-20-2017, 11:20 AM

Hi Todd,

Since you like Cargo, why not stay with Composite Acoustics. The CA OX is an OM with a nice vintage voice and plenty of power, the GX grand auditorium has a huge voice, and is a favorite with people who play live, or if you want to go to a full size dreadnought, the CA Legacy is hard to beat. All three are outstanding guitars.
Old 11-20-2017, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Hi Todd,

Since you like Cargo, why not stay with Composite Acoustics. The CA OX is an OM with a nice vintage voice and plenty of power, the GX grand auditorium has a huge voice, and is a favorite with people who play live, or if you want to go to a full size dreadnought, the CA Legacy is hard to beat. All three are outstanding guitars.
Ted,
Do you sell those?

Todd
Old 11-20-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
Ted,
Do you sell those?

Todd
We sell everything except Emerald, and everything is on sale this time of year. I put the links in my post so you can look at the specs.
Old 11-20-2017, 02:24 PM

The Blackbird El Capitan is a small jumbo guitar, with outstanding tone. Despite its appearance it is much smaller than the Gibson J-200 that it visually resembles. When I played El Capitan, I was strongly reminded of my Taylor GA's. Lucky 13 is smaller than an OM and comparable to an LG or GC, but they are no longer taking orders for those (glad I got mine while it was still in active production). You might be lucky enough to find an L13 still in stock somewhere, or a used example. Hopefully, there will be an Ekoa equivalent to L13 coming soon. The physical size is a nice bridge between GA and 0 / parlor sized guitars.

I find the body and sound of the Cargo to be fine, but the short 22.75" scale is a bit tight for my large paws (it is my wife's guitar and she loves the "mama bear" scale length). A similar body size with a 24" or longer scale would be awesome -- which kinda sounds like the Emerald X7 or a Rainsong Shorty.

I just received my Emerald X20-12 twelve string last week. The built-in bevels and rounded edges are quite comfy. While it is about the same width as a Grand Auditorium (my favorite body size) or Dreadnought body at the lower bout, it feels smaller and more comfortable to hold.

And of course, Ted mentioned the CA contenders too. The way that Ted phrased his post above, I suddenly realized that the Ox is an OM size and the Gx is a Grand Auditorium size -- never connected those dots before. For informational purposes, I will have to give them a test play during my next visit to our local store, which stocks both (and the Cargo too).

Last edited by Earl49; 11-20-2017 at 04:53 PM. Reason: fixed tpyos
Old 11-20-2017, 04:27 PM

I'll chime in with some Rainsong info:

Rainsong offers guitars in PA, OM, WS, DR, and JM. The WS is sort of a grand auditorium size, compared to the traditional Parlor PA, Orchestra OM, Dreadnought DR, and Jumbo JM.

If you want something VERY large, the DR and JM models are big, loud, and huge-sounding. You probably can't find a louder acoustic than a Rainsong JM.

For an acoustic-electric that you'll be plugging in, though, the OM and WS bodies are plenty large. The WS has more bass response, whereas the OM has a little clearer tone and note separation.

If you want something bigger than the Cargo, then the PA Parlor body is probably not on your list, although it's a tone monster for it's size.

For a gig-able guitar, the new Concert Hybrid series is unbeatable. Hybrid carbon/glass back and sides combined with the high-end unidirectional carbon top. Glossy finish on the top, versus a very comfortable matte finish on the back, sides, and neck. LR Baggs electronics for standard plug-in. And a price that is pretty unbelievable considering the features. I own and play the CH-WS model, and it's fabulous, totally pleased with it.

Again, just preaching from my part of the choir here... good luck!
Old 11-20-2017, 05:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I love my Cargo, but I'm finding it to be a little smaller than I'd prefer. I'd potentially use the guitar for gigging in the future and want something a little bigger. Any recommendations for a full size dread CF or something between the Cargo and a full size?
Todd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Hi Todd,
Since you like Cargo, why not stay with Composite Acoustics. The CA OX is an OM with a nice vintage voice and plenty of power, ...snip...
Hi Todd:

I recently acquired a CA OX RAW, and it is a wonderful playing and sounding guitar. I agree with Ted that it has a vintage voice and plenty of power.

However, even though it is OM sized (with almost the exact same dimensions as a Martin OM), it feels smaller than my 000-15 to me. I think this is because of its more shallow body depth, and the rounded edge where the sides meet the back. That rounded edge also causes the guitar to slip off my lap a lot when I play seated (as I almost always do, even when gigging).

For what it's worth, though I really like the voice and playability of the OX, I find I'm not choosing it often because of the smaller body size, and the even smaller "playing feel"...Try as I might to convince myself otherwise I am a dread and jumbo guy.

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 11-20-2017, 07:19 PM
Guest 928

Ed;

A number of CAs and Rainsongs might well serve your needs. As part of your search you should also pay attention to Blackbird and Emerald. They are exceptionally creative companies and have some beautiful and great sounding guitars in the size that seems comfortable for you.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:05 PM
Charter Member

Lots of good carbon fiber options out there. If you enjoy the comfort of the Cargo, but are looking for a longer scale and bigger sound, I'd also suggest that you put the Emerald X20 on your consideration list. It has a big, punchy sound, with a body size that is between Grand Concert and Grand Auditorium, but is more comfortable (for me) due to the design/shape.

Over the last 5 years, I've been finding the comfort in smaller guitars (CF: RainSong Shorty and an Emerald X7), so it was a bit of a leap of faith to go to the larger X20 - only good things to say about it. It kicks!

Good luck with the search!
Old 11-22-2017, 08:15 AM

Quote:

Todd
I, too, am very fond of my Cargo and also considering a larger...but not dread size...guitar. I also really like the shorter scale, so the Rainsong Shorty (discontinued and on sale where available) and the CH-OM series (same geometry as Shorty and very reasonably priced) are on my short list.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:40 AM

You might like the Composite Acoustic GX size. Great tone , very ergonomic.
I like my CA Legacy. It is a dread , but the upper bout is not as deep as the lower bout , so it fits me nicely.
Ask Ted at LA Guitar. He can answer all your questions or concerns.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

I find that my X20 is a great compliment to my Cargo....love them both for comfort and tone. I have not been able to try the OX or GX, but would like to.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber