The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-08-2016, 01:38 AM

Default Help.....High pitch noise ...is it faulty pickup ?

Hi theres a high pitch noise from my fishman passive single coil acoustic pickup which goes away when i touch pickup and my interface (focusrite scarlett) together at the same time . Iv used everything dibox, ground lift changing cables and room still its a problem .
.its only comes when i plug in the pickup in my interface .....is this a faulty pickup or sumthing else ...? Ill also attach a clip u can hear in that

Sent from my ASUS_Z00LD using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2016, 06:36 AM

Is this something new or a recent development? How does the pickup behave when it's plugged into an amp?
Old 08-08-2016, 06:39 AM

Whenever you experience a noise that changes or especially goes away when you touch a piece of gear, it is ground related. Sounds like the interface you are using could be lifting or isolating the ground, or possibly introducing a noise that is eliminated when you ground your pu.

Wiring issues in the AC can be a source of noise too. Is all the gear plugged in to the same circuit? Sometimes its cables in the signal path as well. One of the basic troubleshooting techniques is to change only one thing, then see what happens. Here are some ideas:

1. Change the signal cable on the interface
2. Make sure all gear is powered off the same AC circuit (use a power strip). Not all outlets in a room necessarily come off the same breaker.
3. Change out the remaining signal cables, one at a time.
4. Plug in a different instrument

You get the idea...
Old 08-08-2016, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Whenever you experience a noise that changes or especially goes away when you touch a piece of gear, it is ground related. ....
Exactly what I was thinking.

When you touch it, your body is becoming the ground circuit, effectively closing the ground loop.

This makes me think the ground circuit is open somewhere. Make sure you are using grounded (3-conductor) plugs if you have them. Make sure the ground circuit is not compromised in the house (if some outlets are wired wrong they can mess up proper grounding).

You might also have a loose/broken wire/connection along the ground somewhere along the line.

As Mandobart suggested, some trial-and-error experimenting can usually narrow it down.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 08-08-2016, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Whenever you experience a noise that changes or especially goes away when you touch a piece of gear, it is ground related. Sounds like the interface you are using could be lifting or isolating the ground, or possibly introducing a noise that is eliminated when you ground your pu.

Wiring issues in the AC can be a source of noise too. Is all the gear plugged in to the same circuit? Sometimes its cables in the signal path as well. One of the basic troubleshooting techniques is to change only one thing, then see what happens. Here are some ideas:

1. Change the signal cable on the interface
2. Make sure all gear is powered off the same AC circuit (use a power strip). Not all outlets in a room necessarily come off the same breaker.
3. Change out the remaining signal cables, one at a time.
4. Plug in a different instrument

You get the idea...
Thanks guys for all the advice....but i did switched of all the electronics im my house ...still there ....one thing else the noise dosent go away when i touch just the interface and ground...it stops when i touch my pickup and interface at the same time dosent matter if im touching the ground .....its like theres a connection between those two .....and im experiencn this ever since i got this pickup...nothing new in chain ...tried active di ground lift nothing helpd.😒😒

Old 08-08-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Exactly what I was thinking.

When you touch it, your body is becoming the ground circuit, effectively closing the ground loop.

This makes me think the ground circuit is open somewhere. Make sure you are using grounded (3-conductor) plugs if you have them. Make sure the ground circuit is not compromised in the house (if some outlets are wired wrong they can mess up proper grounding).

You might also have a loose/broken wire/connection along the ground somewhere along the line.

As Mandobart suggested, some trial-and-error experimenting can usually narrow it down.
Sounds like a lot of work 😮😮.. im wondering is this coz its single coil or even transducer pickup like k&k pure mini will behave this way

Old 08-08-2016, 04:36 PM

Fluorescent light in the room?
Old 08-08-2016, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitz View Post
Fluorescent light in the room?
Yes but i also took out thr lights to check if that was causing it

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification