The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-23-2001, 07:23 PM

Question Cakewalk

Anybody use cakewalk software? I found a package where you plug the guitar into the sound card (mic input I think) and you can record guitar, mix it, etc.)
Can you use it with a Fishan Prefix?
I have an old pc that maybe I could use
(66mhz 750meg hard drive).
I want to record my playing as a tool to improve.
Old 10-23-2001, 11:09 PM
Cocobologist

Hey Jonzey,

I've been using Cakewalk Pro Audio for a couple years now, and have been pretty satisfied with it. I'm using version 9.03 for multitrack audio and MIDI sequencing. Works great.

As for plugging into your sound card, shouldn't be a problem at all. As a matter of fact, if you are only recording a single track, you can use the Audio Recorder program in Windows. It will be a bit more difficult to set input levels, but it will work. The Cakewalk program you use (Home Studio, Pro Audio, Guitar Tracks, etc.) provides varying degrees of flexibility. I think Home Studio limits audio tracks to 8, where Pro Audio is, for all intents and purposes, limited only by your computer's capacity. You also have plugins effects, EQs, etc.. In any case, multi-track audio recording and processing taxes your computer much more than MIDI sequencing so, for best performance, make sure you've got plenty of horsepower under the hood.

BTW, the latest version is called SONAR and will be major overkill for you if you are just starting out. I'd suggest the less expensive Home Studio or look for older versions of Pro Audio (v 8 or 9) on eBay.

Hope this helps,
Dave

| '02 814c Custom (Coco/Sitka) | '03 912ce Custom (Coco/Engelmann)| '06 K65ce | '17 J45 Std. | '10 Breedlove Revival OM DLX (EIR/Adi) | Lots of electrics...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification