The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-22-2001, 11:27 PM

Question Larrivee neck profiles?

Hi all, I was at GC today, and I picked up a D-03R for the first time in a while. I noticed immediately that the neck profile is pretty chunky, like a U-shape.

However, I then tried a D-10, which seemed to have a slimmer neck profile.

Any comments on this? Do Larrivees use different neck profiles througout their D line?

Ken
Old 10-24-2001, 12:05 PM
Jim

Hi Ken. My C-10E custom's neck is very similar to my Taylors except for it being glossy. The C designation was just recently changed to their new LV designation when they stopped making them with Florentine cutaways like mine and went to the rounded Venetian cutaways. This shape is about the same as Taylor's x14 size rather than the dreads you are looking at.

Larrivee D models normally come with a standard 1 11/16" nut width, but you can order them with either 1 3/4" or 1 7/8" if you prefer a wider or very wide fretboard. It is possible that one or more of the ones you played might have been special ordered with one of these alternate neck widths which would affect the feel of the neck in your hand. From what I understand, the thickness of their necks and the contours of the edge of the fretboards is constant on all of their models. Like Taylor, they cut them by CNC machine and hand sand them to finish them off. They are all dovetail joints but that wouldn't have an effect on the thickness.

I've found the Larrivee folks to be just as nice and helpful as the Taylor folks and if you were to send them an email or call them they would be more than happy to tell you the details. Their telephone is 604-253-7111 and their email is [email protected] They are in Vancouver so if you call remember they are 3 hours earlier than your time there in N.J.

[ 10-24-2001: Message edited by: Jim ]
Old 11-01-2001, 01:07 PM

I think Larivees are the closest to Taylors in many respects and there are some awesome models, at both the low and high end.

But I don't know if I've been brainwashed by the Taylor NT philosophy (or maybe propaganda?) or it's just my imagination, but I swear almost every Larivee model I look at seems to dip at where the neck meets the body as opposed to the straight-as-a-rail Taylors. Tone is sweet, playability good (not as good as a Taylor, I don't think), and some of the wood figuring and cosmetics are second to none.

Jay

Gibson J45 1942 Banner Reissue Custom Shop
Gibson Advanced Jumbo Custom Shop
Martin HD-28
Martin OM-28
Martin 00-15M
Fender Tele Highway One Reissue
Fender Jazz Bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification